IGNORED

Mobil 1 and start-up noise from engine

Guest kozman01

Guest kozman01

Hello everyone. I wanted to see if anyone was having the same issue as I am having. I recently changed my 07 Venture over to Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter. Upon start-up, I hear an inordinate amount of "clatter" from the top-end of the engine. I don't think this occured to this extent while running the petro Yamaha oil. I'm running 3.5 qurts of 10w-40 Mobil 1. Is this normal or should I switch back to the conventional oil? I'm not looking for a this oil that oil argument, just looking to as "why" my engine is making so much noise for the 30-45 seconds after start-up. THe bike has 2500 miles on it. Thanks everyone for your time.

If I'm not mistaken, the 10W40 is energy conserving oil and you should NOT be running it in your bike. I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic in my '99 since '99 and love it. I use only their motorcycle specific oil though. That being said, I have never heard of it causing the noise that you are hearing. The problem is usually that it can cause clutch slippage.

Guest kozman01

I apologize, I should have been more specific on an issue like this, Mobil 1 10w-40 MC synthetic oil. Thanks Freebird for the heads-up:) I t might have something to do with the Mobil 1 oil filter. First time I ever used one. Maybe I'll just go back to my Purolator PureOne. Maybe it's allowing drain back of the oil???

Was this just the First Time you started the engine after the Oil change?

Or does it continue to do it, after the next Cool Down Cycle. ??

Maby was just the time for the New Oil to fill up the New Filter, and the complete system.

I use Mobile I, in my 89, never heard any extra Engine Noise.

Guest kozman01

It's happened after the first fill. After driving to work one day, 16 miles, went back out at 5pm and started it up. Seemed to be loud enough that I was actaully getting a littel embarrassed standing by it as there were about 20 other bikes parked by me with alot of city pedestrian traffic. Noise went aware after around 30-45 seconds. Maybe I'll drop the Mobil 1 and refill with some run of the mill Yamaha oil and see wehat happens then or change out the oil filter first and start there.

Mine has done it since I began using synthectic oil three years ago.....and it is nothing to worry about...I start mine, it rattles a little for about 20 seconds, and quiets down as the oil gets on everything inside..

I have 53k on mine now and the noise doesnt bother me at all.....

My chevy silverado pick up truck does the same thing in the mornings when I fire her up too, and has done so for years..it has 168k on it and runs like a new born..

My '99 does it as well. It clatters from the front right head for about 30-45 seconds when I first start her up after sh has been sitting for a while.

If I am not mistaken, I read another post a while back about how this is normal due to the front right cyl. being the last to get oil pumped to it.

My 07 does the same thing, first few 20 or 30 seconds after a prolonged cool down. Clatters on the front right, then quiets right down, thought maybe a valve shim was just on the loose side maybe and as she warms up the gap is taken up. The idea of the right front getting oil last is a good theory, also that is the high point on the engine so the oil will naturally drain from there more than from some other locations. Funny I had a 98 Royal Tour Classic for 9+ years and never noticed it on that one.

Glad someone mentioned this.

I've had the 04 for about 3 months now and it has always had the old right front clatter for about 45 seconds @ cold start up. I asked about it at the dealer and I got:confused24:.

I guess now it's common and nothing to worry about.

By the way 20-40 Yamalube.

I've had my 03 venture for about 5 mo.

It had 10w30 Mobil 1 synthetic in it when I got it (46K) and I went to 15w40 Mobil 1 synthetic with no problems or noises. I have had great results with the Mobil 1 synthetic oil and filters.

Guest kozman01

As usual, ask and ye shall receive. Thanks for the input and it appears I'm not alone. Maybe next time I'll try some different combinations like using a little 20w-50 with the 10w-40 and/or putting the Yamaha oil filter back on. Thanks for the help everyone!