IGNORED

radio cutting out

Mobile

Two of us have recently bought 2007 Yamaha RSV midnight new from a dealer, we both have the problem with the radio not working, as it does and sometimes it does not come on or shut off as it should? I have a 2000 RSV and I've never had any problems with it. On one of the enteries a while back I can remember it showing a cutaway of wire bundles "3" I think and the article spoke of loose contact? did this apply to the radio?and if so where can I find the article? Thanks "mobile"

Edited by Mobile
new answers !

About 3 months after I purchased my scoot , I had radio problems either controls locking up or not coming on . As advised by member here on the forum , was to open the fairing , and check the connections and use that ole' mighty electrical grease in the connection . I have (knock on wood) never to this date had an issue with it .

I was told the RSV is shipped with fairing on , minus windshield , saddlebags , trunk, mirrors and antennas on .

BEER30

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought on 08 RSV a little over a month ago and am also having radio problems. If I raise the volume up above about a 11 or 12, the speakers (all four of them) start snapping, popping and cracking. You can't even tell whats playing. If I plug in my headset, the radio sounds fine through the headset speakers.

Here is my story...

Well this afternoon, I took advantage of a couple free hours to install the new passing lights on my ride. I figured while I had the fairing open I would look into the intermittent radio lock ups. Following the 'oh-so-wise' advice from this forum, I disconnected every connection in the fairing, cleaned them with contact cleaner and applied a little Dow Corning #4 dielectric compound. I also looked to see if any of the cables were stretched. Everything looked ok. I really don't expect the problem to be caused by corrosion of the connectors because the bike is only a month old. However, having more than thirty years of electronics experience, I did immediately notice two items which have reared their ugly heads in my past. First is the protective boots around the din connectors and others coming from the radio unit. These boots are pretty tight on the cable but they will slide. At least one of the connectors was not completely seated together because the two sections of the boot were engaged completely before the connector had mated. Pulling the boots back onto the cable a ways allowed the connector to seat correctly. I don't know if it was originally misconnected or not, but when I went back to check my work I found it that way.

The second item was the large ground braid that is connect via the screw on the opposite end of the radio unit. I noticed that the screw is coated with some sort of green coating that is no doubt for anticorrosion purposes. The ring terminal attached to the ground braid is simply compressed between this bolt and the aluminum anodized chassis of the radio. Before I loosened it to check it out, I used an ohm meter to check the radio chassis to ground. There was about 70 ohms of resistance. I have had problems with equipment in the past when anodized aluminum is expected to conduct that way. I placed a star washer on either side of the ring terminal and the resistance dropped below 1 ohm. This could well have been the problem causing the radio lock ups. Time will tell. I will get the opportunity to ride for a while this weekend. I will be interesting to see if this helps.

'08 Venture:

The problem with mine started with the control locking up. Only the volume was functional. I could not change stations, bands, or anything else. Turning the key off then back on would sometimes make it work again. It usually happened after riding for 20 or 30 minutes. It gradually became more frequent and after shorter riding times. The rest of my story is above... I have had no further problems with the radio.

:whistling:

I had radio problems also , It would freeze up and i couldn`t change stations . I took it to the dealer and they put dielectric grease on connections and its been ok since then (about two years )

Leon

I had the same problems, the dealer said they had never heard of such a thing and replaced the control unit... $1200 piece of equipment apparently... :whistling:

I will get some di-electric grease for the next case of lock up...