IGNORED

1st Gen. Clutch Slave Cylinder.

I'm not much of a wrench..

On the recommendation of those more experienced on this site I just bought a new one rather than rebuild.

Maybe I just got lucky...but it was easy out and easy in!

It almost fell out by itself, and putting it back it was a breeze.

Like I said...maybe I got lucky.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...
Pressure on a Lip seal or "u" shaped seal will go against the open part of the profile.

This is so the pressure forces the sides of the seal into the cylinder wall.

See if attached picture helps.

Gary

This is my first post so hopefully it works. I have rebuilt my slave piston for my 87 Venture 1300CC bike and I can't remember (head injury) which direction the u shaped seal goes back on the piston. I noticed in this thread there are a few comments to images attached but I don't see them. When I click on the user they have lots of images under their profile name. Am I missing something?

Thanks

This is my first post so hopefully it works. I have rebuilt my slave piston for my 87 Venture 1300CC bike and I can't remember (head injury) which direction the u shaped seal goes back on the piston. I noticed in this thread there are a few comments to images attached but I don't see them. When I click on the user they have lots of images under their profile name. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Due to a server malfunction a number of years ago, some of the pics got misplaced. @Freebird is our owner and with some luck, he'll find the pics from the above posts and bring them back. In the meantime, search the forum...you may find some other posts with pics of the seal. May have to define your search terms a few different times. Oh, on the bottom of each page are some related post suggestions. You never know what you may find following some of those link suggestions!

Thank you for your wisdom. There are a number of pictures from page 2 of this thread that have pictures from different users. Maybe I'll luck out and a user will upload their picture again as I didn't find any pictures of the piston rebuild other than this thread

You may be better served just replacing the slave cylinder with a new one. They are not that expensive and they are the same for all Ventures 1st and 2nd gen. Many of us have rebuilt those slaves only to have them fail a short time later. It is a hit and miss situation, and honing the cylinder is absolutely essential and if you don't do a good job they end up leaking again...