IGNORED

Ear Plugs

Eugene

Recently, I've been thinking about wearing ear plugs. No, not at the dinner table (although at times that might be a good option!!) but whilst riding.

Does anyone here wear any and if so - in your opinion - what's the best type?

I almost always wear them. Generally I don't when I'm store hopping in town and don't get going more than about 45 or so. Above that and the wind noise gets too much, and I will find my ears ringing at the end of the day because of it. Wearing a helmet almost seems to make the effect worse. I use the basic white foam type. I'm finding that they seem to break down after a time, and while the volume level seems like it's reduced, they don't stop the ringing effect. Lately I've been changing them out more often than I used to. I hope that helps reduce the ringing. The ringing in my ears stinks. It really has me quite concerned, but I don't know what else I can do about it. I've tried different kinds of plugs and nothing else seems to make any difference either. I will admit that I feel a little sheepish if there are people around when I put them in. I try to do it in one sweeping motion of reaching up to remove my glasses when I put the helmet on.

I always wear ear plugs..I've been working at a chemical plant for 28 years and wearing ear plugs has become second nature. I find the best type is the soft foam plugs but the key is properly insert them for the best protection. Roll them between your fingures, insert and hold them in place until they fully expand. Protecting your hearing outweighs the funny loooks folks might give you.

I don't wear them, but my ears have been ringing constantly since my Marine Corps days. Like I just left the front row of a heavy metal concert. Most times it doesn't bother me, but sometimes when I can't get to sleep, the ringing gets to me. I tried wearing the foam ear plugs on the bike, but I found I couldn't hear what was going on around me and that bothered me more than the ringing. Plus with the outside noise cut down, I was able to concentrate on the ringing and it really annoyed me then.

I wear earplugs anytime that I'm going to be on the bike for more than an hour or anytime that I'm on the interstate. The foam earplugs work great. As somebody said, roll them up, stick them in & hold them until they expand. Last year at Sturgis, my son bought me a pair of those custom molded silicone earplugs. They really quiet things down but I still prefer the foam plugs.

Wearing plugs makes the ride easier and much more enjoyable.

I always wear earplugs. Generally the foam type I pick up when visiting various factories during work.

I am interested in the custom molded plugs. Does anyone have a set with the built in speakers? If so, how do they sound?

RR

Had a old J&M headsets laying around. I cut the wires going to the helmet speakers and installed a female stereo audio jack, which hangs outside the helmet. I plug in my earbuds and jam them into my ears. Hook up my MP3 player into my audio system on the bike. Turn the audio system to headsets (HS) and hear nothing but classic rock and the rumbling of my V4 coming out of my baffleless HD Road King pipes. Man the sound is great and it makes you wonder how great this bike would be without the CHIRP. The sound quality of the CB is a lot better too.

Guest k4sfc@bellsouth.net

Been riding since 1973 and never worn ear plugs while riding my bike. I do wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield closed when on the highway. I've never had a problem. Due to the comments I've read here about actually hearing better while wearing them I am going to give it a go. I'll let you know the outcome.

the soft foam earplugs work but are dangerous IMO because they cut out way too much sound. I experimented with lots of different ones and settled on these:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

These are about $12 and can be used for a long time, years. They are comfortable and cut down the entire spectrum about 20db but let you hear the rest. I too have ringing in my ears, and don't like the foam ones for that reason, but the musicians type plugs solve this problem. They also let me hear my stereo phones and the CB without turning it way up. the chirp and other noises are greatly reduced as is wind noise.

These will stay in as you put on your helmet, and you can leave them in when you stop, because you can still hear what is going on around you.

For the best long term comfort, get some custom molded from the same web site, but for a couple hours or so, these are great.

Oh, and NO, the strings don't transmit noise, for that to happen, you would have to stretch it between bikes and keep it tight. Tried that and it wasn't too safe! :rotf:

I always wear ear plugs while riding. They significantly reduce the stress caused by the increasing sound level of wind and other noise as you ride. You will still be able to hear other traffic and things you need to hear in order to ride safely. I use the soft foam plugs. Roll them in between your thumb and index finger to reduce their diameter then insert them into your ear canal as far as is comfortable and allow them to swell up and block the ear canal from all the harmful noise. Look at the package and get the plugs that have a 30 -35 decibel sound reduction. More is better. That's about the maximum decibel reduction you can get for these type plugs. Once you become accustom to the plugs in your ears you will be pleasantly surprised how much you can still hear and how much the harsh, or harmful, noise is reduced to a comfortable level. I strongly recommend that everyone use earplugs all the time while they're riding. Who cares if others look at you funny while you're inserting your hearing protection ? It's your hearing, not theirs, that will be lost by the ongoing exposure. You are already experiencing the warning signs of hearing loss when you have "ringing" in your ears after a ride.

I could go on and on but don't want to get into technicalities here.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Red Baron

I read somewhere that you don't want the earplugs that are connected together with the plastic string as the string will actually induce noise into the earplug. Like the old tin can and string set ups.

This is not true. The string and tin can principle, works on transmission of vibration. As you may remember, the only way it worked, was when the string was stretched tight. The string on ear plugs, would hang loose, and not transmit any kind of vibration. The other principle was of acoustic transmission, the bottom of the can became a speaker, and amplified the vibration, creating analog sound. I might agree if you had said that the string could pose a choking hazzard, or something of the sort, but in this case, the string could only help you find them, and allow you to hang them around your neck between rides.

I don't want to sound cheap but the best item I've found are cotton balls. I keep a bag in my trunk. They work great and in my honest opinion, they tend to due a good job at muffleing the sounds but at the same time, enable you to hear the radio a little clearer when cruising down the interstate.

Take one and split it in half and push them in and away you go. I also use a half helmet.

The other positive is that you will always have a clean set for that special someone who chooses to ride with you...

Just my two cents.......

Jim

I also always wear earplugs. I have occasionally jumped on to run a quick errand at lunchtime without wearing them and I am almost immediately sorry that I did not put them in.

I currently wear the Hearos brand designed for musicians and think they are more comfortable than the foam ones for me. My full face helmet does have pockets over the ear. If your helmet has padding flush with the ear they probably would not work well as they stick out a little.

http://hearos.com/images/products/hearos-00211.jpg

Hey folks

Many thanks for all the replies - I will definetely go buy some foam ones to start.

I am not ever worried about looking foolish - it come naturally anyway!!

I take them from work... haven't paid for ear plugs in 20 yrs.

I like my music clear and the wind noise at a minimun.

We have the ones that have a tether(string) between plugs. Cut the string off flush, lick my fingers to get the plug a little moist ,roll 'em between your fingers and slide them in.

I always wear mine when I'm not wearing the full face helmet. I have a pair of fitted silicone ear plugs. I love them, you can get a pair made to fit you ear at most cycle trade shows, also places like Sturgis, Daytona...

Before I started wearing ear plugs the wind noise was causing severe ringing. then it progressed to causing dizzy spells.Not good when you are riding. All of that stopped after wearing ear plugs.

I wear them in the shop a lot and while mowing the lawn too. The lawn mower makes such a horrible racket. I can't imagine how I used to tolerate that without earplugs. I have wondered for a long time if my ears are more sensitive to loud noises than most though. I can feel stress in my ears just playing a grand piano for an hour.

On the bike I wear them with or without a helmet. It seems my full face helmet almost makes the wind noise problem worse.

I dont think i have seen anyone wearing the silicone wax type of plug. Bev and I have started using these now and really like them. Its just a disc of putty you place on the outer part of your ear, not inside the canal. They are really comfy and shut out noise better then any of the foam we tried. Not really resuasable but i stick them on my backrest at stops like the gum on the bedpost and use them for the entire day. sometimes two.

For those who want to fight the Noises, and can't wear Earplugs, i suggest to have a look at Baehr Silencer Helmets.

Very fine Piece of Craftsmanship and it works Wonders. I have a Silencer I, the old Version, but the Silencer II is better in all Subsidiaries of a Helmt. And evan this old Version is better in Noise Surpression than my Schuberth S1, even if Schuberth claims to have a very silent Helmet.