Anyone have a spare side stand for an 84 that they want to sell? I took the bike off the center stand this evening, kicked out the stand, heard a snap, and immediately took a slow trip to the floor as I watched my broken side stand slide across the room. Luckily this happened when I was in the garage and not in some parking lot. No warning and I am not sure what caused it. They look to be made of cast iron so I guess it just had enough pressure to finally give out. Anyhow, let me know if you have an extra that you want to get rid of. Thanks.

I have attached pictures of the stand.

Not only did the cast iron break it also sheared the bolt. When I bought the bike I went around and checked all the bolts but I don't specifically recall if I ever checked the side stand. In any case it looks like the bolt worked itself loose which probably caused both the bolt and the stand to fail. Either that or it was just a catastrophic failure. :confused24:

It's probably worth everyone taking a minute or two to check their stand just to make sure everything is nice and tight. I ended up with a few minor scratches on myself and the bike. Could have been a lot worse (and expensive) if it had failed in a parking lot and fell into someone else's bike or car.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1693

Interesting pics. Deltarat came over about a month ago to fix his sidestand. It failed in the bank parking lot. After looking at it we found the thru bolt had snapped off. I had a spare and when he tried to screw it in it wouldn't start. Pulled the stand off and found the yoke had bent... not broke just bent. We put another stand on and he was good to go. Latter on I put the bad stand in the vice squashed it back into position. No cracks anywhere. Deltarat has an '89 and I'm wondering if Yamaha got away from the cast iron in the early models, and went investment in the later years??

It is amazing how much load these side stands will take, if you keep the bolt tight. If you let it get loose you will break it sooner or later. I make a habit to take my toe occassionally and see how much play I have in the stand. I like to tighten it to the point it is snug moving. I had mine break and it was not a fun ride.

RandyA

My bike leans over quite far when on the side stand, kinda scary. It looks like the hole for the bolt on the frame is slightly enlarged. Dunno for sure, the bolt might be slightly worn. What part wears first, the frame or the bolt? Can some kind of shim be used around the bolt? has anyone done this?

GW - I will take a look at the hole on mine tomorrow and will post up a pic or two with a ruler to help show the size. Now you have me wondering if mine might have enlarged itself since it looks like a loose bolt is the cause of the problem.

Dave - Appreciate the info. Fortunately the Muffins have taken care of me. :) :cool10:

Certainly does appear to be a brittle break - no bending. That might point to a fatigue crack that developed over time, given that Condor has seen them bend w/o cracking.

Another theory - maybe the bolt had been overtightened and weakened where the threads start from the shoulder, and that finally gave way, taking the flange with it.

Randy, since it's a shoulder bolt, how do you tighten it enough to have drag?

Jeremy

Here are a couple of pics of the sidestand hole. Without a rule on it and from an angle the hole does look like it is oblong. It is just an illusion though (at least in my bike's case). It actually measures about a 1/2 inch consistantly all the way around.

I check the hole and it was about 1/2 inch and looked round. The only ruler I had to use was as old as I am and I no longer have a micrometer to really measure it. I added two pics - one on the side stand and the other is the bolt.

The bolt has some weaar and I can feel it. Can't tell on the hole it goes through. While on the center stand, i measured the freeplay. From the bottommost part of the stand, I measured about 1/2 inch of play.

I guess I will order a new bolt to see how that cleans it up. That bolt and nut were tight, I needed a 1/2 breaker bar to break it loose.

Excuse the quality of the bike pic, it was almost black.

GW

I wish my 88 leaned like that.

Mine stays so upright that I am afraid it might fall to the right side.

There is even right side damage indicated that it has fallen to the right for a previous owner.

I always have to lift the bike up to fully extend the shocks to get it to stay upright.

I have to run my air pressure in the shocks fairly low so that the windshield will clear the door frame of the shed I keep it in. Is yours maybe a little on the high side?

Dunno 'bout the high side but if you were closer, I'd trade parts with ya. I am afraid that lean is gonna end up being too heavy and fall on it's left side (breaking at the stand or splitting at the frame). Sometimes I grunt gittin' her upright. A bud at work can't even get it off the sidestand.

Well, I have progressives in the front with the full spacers and about 60 to 65psi in the rear (this will slowly leak), when I last looked. It has a very slow leak. What funny is I let all the front the pressure all out, what it will let out, but always seems to gain about 5 to 7 psi extra.

Hey DevilDog, how did this work out for you?

I ordered a new sidestand, bolt, nut spring and the metal thingy. Should be here in about 10 days.

That sidestand was about $57.

I have the replacement stand but I haven't got it put on yet. I am still waiting for the new bolt to come in. Should be here any day now. I ordered the bolt and some other parts from Flat Out. Is that who you ended up using?

I wonder if the replacement stand you are getting is made out a different type of metal other than the cast iron. I think Condor was thinking that Yamaha went to investment grade metal for them for later years but I am not sure if that included the replacement parts as well. There is probably not an easy way to tell.

hey gw

my 85VR looks to be identical to yours in this respect also. It leans over a loonnng way and sometimes its a real bear to get off the side stand. It helps a bit to let all the air outta the class system but I worry about the lean being a lotta stress on the stand too. Mine doesnt appear to be worn or stressed in any way so I guess i am just gonna have to keep that little 3/4 inchpad around to put my stand on, it does make a huge difference to the effort used to get the vr upright.

Brian

:happy34:

Dunno 'bout the high side but if you were closer, I'd trade parts with ya. I am afraid that lean is gonna end up being too heavy and fall on it's left side (breaking at the stand or splitting at the frame). Sometimes I grunt gittin' her upright. A bud at work can't even get it off the sidestand.

Well, I have progressives in the front with the full spacers and about 60 to 65psi in the rear (this will slowly leak), when I last looked. It has a very slow leak. What funny is I let all the front the pressure all out, what it will let out, but always seems to gain about 5 to 7 psi extra.

Edited by friesman

Hey devildog, I gave Yamaha Sports Plaza another chance. Prolly be here in another 8 days. There prices went up I think. They said Yammy went up and so did they. I wouldn't know how to tell the difference between the two metals.

Hey Brian, seeing as mine had so much play, I can see where there would be too much pressure at an angle and a small area on mine. Seeing devildogs break skeered me thinking what I would have to fix if mine broke and fell over. She can be a bugger to lift that far over.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the new sidestand and shoulder bolt with nut on today. Her is what I found.

The shoulder bolt was only slightly worn. The new one almost had the same play but not as much.

The sidestand had worn some froom swinging back anf forth so much.

Just over half the play I had in it has gone but there is still some play left. So, my conclusion is that the hole that the shoulder bolt slides through will wear quite a bit and the sidestand will too. But, It appears that most of the play will come from the worn hole with the shoulder bolt.

I personally will not be able to go any further to remove all of the play but it has lost a measurable amount so I will live with what I got now.

I just put mine on this afternoon as well. I don't have any side to side play in the hole but how snug should the stand pinch the bracket? I have the bolt tightened about as much as I dare but the stand still seems to be pretty loose. I can put it in the vise to close the gap some more but I am not too sure what "right " is suppose to look like and I don't want to risk breaking the stand. Any ideas?

Guest Ken8143
I just put mine on this afternoon as well. I don't have any side to side play in the hole but how snug should the stand pinch the bracket? I have the bolt tightened about as much as I dare but the stand still seems to be pretty loose. I can put it in the vise to close the gap some more but I am not too sure what "right " is suppose to look like and I don't want to risk breaking the stand. Any ideas?

I have the same question - my bike leans w-a-y over. The side stand seems to be loose. I was thinking about squeezing the yoke in a vise to narrow the gap a bit - but - don't want to break it! How much sqeeze can it take?