IGNORED

New Clearview impressions

gibvel

Okay, got my first ride with the new Clearview XXL windshield this morning. Some first impressions.

A bit less wind buffeting with the new shield, especially behind trucks. I used to get a slight side to side motion quite a ways back from trucks. That has been lessened and the only real buffeting I got today was from a truck with a bunch of huge, oddly shaped, concrete structures on the back which, I'm sure, didn't do much for air flow behind the truck. Seems like wind behind trucks is about 50% better than it was before.

Took the bike for an initial ride around the block at home the other night and, since I didn't have my helmet on, the air flow just "tickled" the hair on top of my head. Noticed that my eyes also didn't tear up due to wind flow. Usually, when I ride the bike around that loop my eyes would always tear up due to wind flow.

If I stretch out I can still see over the windshield fairly well. I do have to stretch a bit more with this one but can still see over if necessary.

One effect that I did notice, don't know if anyone else has noticed this as well, or not. My chirp seems a slight bit quieter AND the "edge" has been taken off of the sound as well. What I mean by that is, at about 55 in 4th the chirp noise had a high pitch component to it that was, well, just annoying as H.E. double hockey sticks. I would say that component has been squelched very, very much and the overall sound has probably dropped about 20 to 30%. I'm thinking the rake has some affect on the reflection of the noise.

Like I said, first impressions of the first highway ride this morning.

I, too, got my first ride in this past weekend with my XXL. The weather was cold here, but the boss and I had promised some friends we'd meet them about 80 miles from here for lunch.

My impressions were good. It was cloudy the whole day so I was wondering what glare would be like and I still don't know. The air flow around both the boss and I was much better. I hardly noticed when meeting trucks on 2 lane roads. It did seem quieter at highway speeds, 60+. The wife say she really saw a difference in buffeting. She had just about quit riding with me saying that it gave her headaches.

Final analysis, I think I may cut down my stock shield 3.5 inches and use it when solo, mainly because I missed having my shield bags. Since its about 5 minutes to switch the screens,I'll just put the Clearview on when momma rides with me.

Put my new XXL on yesterday and did a few miles. Overall seems very good except for a terrible reflection from the gas cap that shows up in ther middle of the windshield and runs across it where the shield starts to curve. I'm leaving for the Laughlin River Run today and I made a temporary cap cover out of black material. Also had to change the top of my Zumo from the silver cover to the black one. We'll do about 1000 miles this week so it should be a good test.

I've got one of the original Clearview shields...without the lip at the top. I've had it since 1999 and it's a great shield. At that time, they did not offer the vent but I installed my own Goldwing style vent. A couple of years ago, the Squid man added a couple of the round style vents on each side of my wing vent. I actually like the round vents better. When I have to replace my shield, I will order it with no vent and add the round ones.

Roadkill,

I got the vent. I was playing with it a bit, even though it was cold and damp. I noticed that if I opened it up to the first notch, I had quieter air in the envelope. It surprised me, but I think it would also help in the rain, also at closer inspection the vent is made to allow airflow up the back of the shield. Excellent design!

I mentioned before that I may switch back to my OEM shield when solo. Has anyone else cut one down a bit and switched, or are y'all just leaving the clearview on?

:feedback:

Put my XL on last week. It has the vent and the tint. I love it. Much less wind, especially for the passenger and the vent is nice. I wear a full face, so when I get hot, I just open my shield and direct the airflow. Very nice.