IGNORED

can't shift into 3rd

Guest Dragon Snoot

Guest Dragon Snoot

Sorry if I am starting to become a nuisance but some more help would be appreciated!!! I had just turned down the road to my house today and shifted into second and got that horrible horrible sound of 2nd slipping. Usually if you don't get on it to hard it is fine but this time was different so I shifted into 3rd but low and behold nothing could not for the life of me get it into gear. Had to baby it in first the last few blocks. I parked the beast and went inside for a while and later went out and still can't get her to shift past 2nd. So my question is what have I done now and how do I reverse it? Once again thanks for all your help in advance.

Does it shift up and back from 1st to 2nd OK? Most likely it is a shift pin on the outside of the shift drum has come out. I had this happen to me, but only it was 4th gear and I was in Cincinnati at the time, 125 mi from home. Pull the right clutch cover off, you will see a round object with 6 pins and bent over tabs holding each one in; approximately an 1-1/4" in diameter, located to the left of the clutch.. If a tab is straightened and there is no pin in the hole, that is why it won't shift up. If all the pins are in there, unfortunately you may have a problem in the tranny, either a bent fork or the gears aren't aligning correctly. If it is the tranny, you can cure all that with a second gear rebuild and cure the problem forever. Sounds like you need to do that anyway. Plenty of help here, just ask!!! I'm in the middle of my rebuild right now.

Dan

Guest Dragon Snoot

kewl thanks do I need to drain the oil or anything first. Sorry but I have not one bit of mechanical skills.

Get the rear Tire on a 2 Inch Piece of Wood and the Bike on the Side Stand, and you don't need to drain Oil to undo the Clutch Cover.

But if you find a Pin missing, you'd better take the Oil out and search the Oil for it with a Magnet.

I suggest to bite the Bullet and buy a new Part, Yammi updated this Star Washer/Ratchet Assembly at the Vmax, i think in 2002(?), this might be the Way to go.

Guest Dragon Snoot

Hey everyone thanks for the replies, I know I posted this about a week ago but I just now had time to go out and look at everything this morn. To my suprise I found out that I can shift through all the gears if I "wiggle" or let off the clutch just a little. Was wondering if I still needed to look for the pin or if was probably something else? Just wondering before I got her off the ground and the cover off. As always thanks a bunch!

Guest Dragon Snoot

Okay I got the cover pulled off and as per rocket's request I have pics. I was wondering if that "thing" in the second pic is what I am looking for? If so I guess I need to keep tearing it apart? Maybe a mirror, to get a better pic? Hecks I dunno what I am doing LOL!!! Just know they are more fun to ride than work on!!! So what does one do next?

Dan

Nope, the shift cam is behind the clutch basket, which is not hard to remove. But since you say that with playing with the clutch you can shift it, thats not the problem. If the shift pin was missing, it would not shift up at all. I suggest doing a clutch fluid bleed, or even changing it out all together. Sounds like the clutch is not releasing enough to let the gears change easily enough. Probably got a little air in the line.

Click on the search button at the top of the site, type in clutch fluid change, and see what comes up. Not hard to do, but it can be a PIA (pain in the A**). Any questions, feel free to ask!!!

Dan

a little late to mention this since you already have things apart but you can shift these bikes without the clutch once rolling so if you were able to test it that way, that would prove it's not shift linkage / shift fork / tranny issues but rather, clutch related and as others have mentioned, most likely the hydraulics.

( I guess )

Yes, that is appropriate, and I would change out the fluid, especially if it is dark looking. Just follow the directions. It can be fun to work on your bike, that way you get to see exactly what you've got!

Dan

If the shift pin was missing, it would not shift up at all.

I was thinking more along the lines of a loose pin, where it could slide out a little, causing intermittant problems. Another possiblity is the friction plates could be sticking some, as well.

But between us, we should get this nailed down.

Hey Rocket, I agree that we could really screw him up, errrrrrrrr help him fix his bike!!! Definately change fluid, needs to be done anyway. Then he can start by looking at the play in the linkage, could be the bushing going thru the left cover and check the linkage bolts to make sure they are tight. Myriads of possibilities here, aren't there! Keep asking questions, man, that's what we're here for!!!

Dan

Guest Dragon Snoot

ok so what is next my heroes? do I go get a new gasket, didn't come off so nicely, and put the cover back on and move on to the linkage stuff. Or do I go ahead and take the rest of it apart to check the clutch pin? If that is the answer how do I go about doing it?