IGNORED

Hello, Long time member, 1st time owner

Sunman

Well Hello all:

I just wanted to re-introduce myself. My name is Sonny, and I live in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. I joined this forum a few years back, to get some information about the RSTD and Venture. Well, after years of wanting 1, and many many MANY slipping through my fingers, I finally found what I think, is the best deal I could have. I just purchased a BRAND NEW 2006, yes 2006 white RSTD. Full warranty, no miles, just built. And coincidently, I just sold my 2003 Honda Shadow ACE today as well. I am hoping to have pictures very soon. And hopefully meet some of you this summer, because I plan to log lots of miles, with my unlimited mileage, 5 year warranty. I am so excited, like a kid on Christmas. Now, before you ask, I will give you the price I paid out the door, after Saturday, when I pick it up, and it is mine, call me superstitious, but I don't want to jinx anything. I think when you hear what I paid, you will agree I could not have asked for better. Just out of curiosity, what do you think a great price for that bike would be? Be serious. It has no extras, just built out of the crate. I took all the yamaha buyer incentives, including this years $1400 rebate, paid cash.

And also, what do you think I should spend some $$ on accessory wise? Any other suggestions? I am open to all feedback. Sorry for rambling, and glad to be here!!

:nanner:

Guest tx2sturgis

Welcome to the Royal Star Family dude...ok, Im guessing from the way your setting us up...maybe...oh I dunno...8 thousand CDN? 9?

Hmmm...guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Welcome to the Royal Star Family dude...ok, Im guessing from the way your setting us up...maybe...oh I dunno...8 thousand CDN? 9?

Hmmm...guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Holy crap, I wish!! Not that cheap. Just so you know, the best price I had previously gotten on an 2008 RSTD out the door was $17,700 that is PDI taxes freight included. This is a BRAND NEW never titled, full warranty 2006, and maybe I am wrong, but I do not think there were any major changes from '06 to '08 were there? If so, I would love to find out about them.

Guest tx2sturgis

I was shooting in the dark...no idea what a 2 year old new bike would sell for in Canada...but as far as I know, they havent changed much at all in the last few years.

I think its more a matter of color choice, that DOES change from year to year. One of the things that make the Royal Stars desirable, like Harleys, is that continuity from year to year is good for aftermarket support. Slow change is good, when you make parts and accessories, since you need to have lots of potential customers to bring a product to market.

Anyway, you will enjoy the bike...just read thru the forums, learn and ask questions.

One of the first things to upgrade, for safety's sake, is the ridiculously dim rear brake/tail light. Then maybe the forward lighting, and then possibly the horn and the brakes. People on here LOVE to tinker, modify, and upgrade these bikes.

I dont plan on making any changes to the ride height, but some riders that are a bit shorter, find the bike a bit easier to handle with the front lowered.

You can learn all about these bikes on here. Enjoy!

I too wish to welcome you to this great family of VENTURERIDERS.

I figure you paid 12,000.00 just a guess.

I agree with what TEXAS2STURGIS said, you do those first and then its,

safety CHROME,CHROME,CHROME and after the tires ware out get AVONS

you wont regret it......................................................Ron:cool10::cool10:

:bighug:

Sonny

Unless you stole that bike from the dealer be prepared for a shock. If the US members tell you what they paid for theirs you will likely suffer serious sticker shock. Canadian prices are at least 3-4 thousand more than our friends south.

Dont worry about what they paid...if you are happy with your bike....perfect. They are nice. The other scary thing is all those pretty chrome things you can buy for them! That hurts the wallet almost as much as the cost of the bike itself!

Buy add ons from the US my friend. Dont get things shipped UPS as shipping gets expensive once it gets to the border and you will pay brokerage fees. Try get things sent USPS....thats the mail.

Things that look good and serve a function should be first bought. Driving lights (passing lights) they look good and create a triangle of lights in the front the help you to be seen, check out the harley rear lighting system...I think there is a description in the tech library....seriously looks good and brightens up the rear end. Headsets for you and passenger are nice...wingthings on the net sell them for around 50 bucks a set but they ship UPS...cost me almost 50 bucks for brokerage fees!

A back rest is nice....either from diamondr accessories or utopia, both are good. Diamondr are members here and offer a discount.

Then theres the chrome!!!! Go slow or you wont have gas money!!!

Have a great time learning your bike!

Thanks everyone for the advice and the welcome. Kantornado nailed the price perfectly. $12,000 CDN for a Brand New 2006, Full Warranty Tour Deluxe. With a MSRP of $19,000 (yeah I know, who pays retail) I think I did OK. On my bill of sale it says price $18, 599, Discount $6,599 I still am in shock. Even USED 2006's are asking more than that with huge KM's. I have decided to start a photo blog on facebook of my first summer with.....Hmmm I guess I have to come up with a name for her eh? Any suggestions? The accessories will come as an ongoing project, first I gotta get some miles on her, and get my first service done. I figure I can put 1000 KM on it easy in a weekend. I think my first big accessory will be a new seat, the stock one is not bad, but I would prefer something more butt friendly for the long hauls. Glad to have a new place to hang out, I will miss my old forum, but things change. Here are my first 2 pics, still in plastic on the showroom floor.

http://www.elitepoker.ca/images/IMG00176.jpg

http://www.elitepoker.ca/images/IMG00175.jpg

Sonny

Guest ReinyRooster

Sonny, somebody should be calling the law on you man, you STOLE that bike!! Excellent deal! There are many of us in the area so don't hesitate once you're up and running to join in the local fun.

Congrats on the new bike. Not to highjack this thread, but what are the pros & cons of us Canucks going down and picking up a bike in the states? I suppose we wouldn't get any warrenty? What about price, or by the time you travel, etc etc it winds up being close? Just interested for future use. Thanks.

Guest tx2sturgis

Nothing like picking up a brand new scoot at the dealer....be careful while its new...you got some breaking in of tires and brakes to do, as well as getting use to the feel of the steering, clutch and transmission.

These bikes are very fast once you let the engine 'wind up'...but you wont be doing much of that while your breaking it in. Just give yourself time to get used to the handling...that will pay off later.

Enjoy the new scoot...you bought it at a good price, and at the beginning of the riding season too! Best of both worlds!

:cool10:

Congrats on the new bike. Not to highjack this thread, but what are the pros & cons of us Canucks going down and picking up a bike in the states? I suppose we wouldn't get any warrenty? What about price, or by the time you travel, etc etc it winds up being close? Just interested for future use. Thanks.

I looked into that as well Boomer. You do save a few bucks, but the warranty is an issue. You get the full warranty, but you HAVE to have it serviced in the US. Not a problem if you are in a border town, but if you are hours away, then not such a great deal. You have to check with the Canadian Border Service Agency www.cbsa.gc.ca and they have all the paperwork and forms you need. When bringing the bike over, you have to check with US customs to acknowledge the bike is leaving the country, check with Canadian customs to pay your taxes, then get the bike inspected at an approved garage, re-title it in Canada, and then get insurance. Basically, a pain in the a$$ unless you are saving HUGE money, not sure if it is worth it really. But to each his own. Oh, and the vehicle must be on the approved list of vehicles found at the Transport Canada website www.tc.gc.ca

, all yamaha motorcycles are approved.

Hi Sonny, welcome back. I see from the pictures that you bought your RSTD at Kelly's Cycle in Hamilton. I came close to buying an 07 midnight from them last fall, but settled for an 03 RSMV from another dealer. Congrates on your purchase. I live in Hagersville, not far from you, so we'll have to get together for a ride soon. Another member, Austy bought his 07 RSV from Kelly's as well.

Hi Sonny, welcome back. I see from the pictures that you bought your RSTD at Kelly's Cycle in Hamilton. I came close to buying an 07 midnight from them last fall, but settled for an 03 RSMV from another dealer. Congrates on your purchase. I live in Hagersville, not far from you, so we'll have to get together for a ride soon. Another member, Austy bought his 07 RSV from Kelly's as well.

For sure, I go through Hagersville all the time on my way to Dover. A good friend of mine lives there as well, we always meet up at the Tim Horton's there. I hopefully will be coming through on Monday on my new ride, figured I would ride to Dover, then Niagara Falls way then back to the Hammer. If you are around, I would love to meet up and do some riding.

~S

You can shoot me an email if you like. I've imported 2 newer bikes and 2 older ones (one for a friend) over the last 4 years. It can be a hassle to a degree but worhtwhile. At least it was for me.

I WON ,I WON

O.K what I win:rotf::rotf:

You got a great deal on the bike. Now take that 5k

you saved and buy SAFETY CHROME. :rotf:

O.K new seat first after all it is about comfort........Ron

Ok, what the heck is Safety Chrome? I think my first upgrade will be new valve stem caps! That is about all I can afford after buying it.

Guest tx2sturgis
Ok, what the heck is Safety Chrome? I think my first upgrade will be new valve stem caps! That is about all I can afford after buying it.

Safety Chrome? isnt that ANY chrome? Makes the bike 'safer'! Gotta have a way to 'justify' it...

Be sure those new valve stem caps are chrome! Safety Chrome!