IGNORED

Question about drilling HD mufflers

AL GUY

I have a set of Ultra Classic mufflers and I am going to drill the baffles using a 1 1/4 hole saw. After I drill thru the front or rear baffle plate does that completely disconnect them or will I have to twist and shake it to break it loose from a tack weld farther in the muffler? I have read all the posts I could find and I know the procedure except for this.

AL

I have a set of Ultra Classic mufflers and I am going to drill the baffles using a 1 1/4 hole saw. After I drill thru the front or rear baffle plate does that completely disconnect them or will I have to twist and shake it to break it loose from a tack weld farther in the muffler? I have read all the posts I could find and I know the procedure except for this.

AL

They should be free when you cut through. Might have to fish them out with a coat hanger if they don't fall for you.

Al,

Just FWIW I would use an 1 1/8" holesaw as the 1 1/4" might be a bit too large. The baffles will fall right out, and if the pipes are on the bike and you drill them start it up with a rag behind the exhaust and they will pop right out.

Thanks Squidley, thats what I'll get.

I also bought a set of RSTD mufflers off Ebay for $30 to get the shields off of to cover the muffler/header connection. That way I can keep my mufflers intact and still have the stock look.

I'm going to wait for these to get here to do the switch out. I haven't taken the mufflers off my bike but it looks as though the clamp is part of the muffler. Will I still need Harley clamps?

AL

I also bought a set of RSTD mufflers off Ebay for $30 to get the shields off of to cover the muffler/header connection. That way I can keep my mufflers intact and still have the stock look.

I'm going to wait for these to get here to do the switch out. I haven't taken the mufflers off my bike but it looks as though the clamp is part of the muffler. Will I still need Harley clamps?

AL

If you are going to do the shield cut you won't need any clamps other than what you take off. Assuming you are doing what is in the 2nd gen tech section on here.

Well I'm confused now. I have HD mufflers and I drilled the center out with the 1" and something bit. Can't remember the exact size. I can see all the way through the muffler. Once I did that there are baffle plates around the outside of the center tube. I then knocked the first round disk down to the second disk. These disks are tack welded around the middle baffle or tube. On mine the center tubes are still there and welded together. I can bend them back and forth a little. I did not go any further because it appears they are as large or larger than the opening in the inlet side. I didn't want anything rattling in the muffler.

Maybe I have missed what everyone is saying here. I would like to go a step further but I was not sure exactly what else to do. I tried to find a diagram of a HD muffler but could not find one. I keep saying one day I was going to stop by the HD Dealership somewhere and get a beat up muffler and open it up. :-) Maybe someone has already done that.

Spotsy

AL

Al,

If you dont cut the ones off of your factory mufflers then yes you will. As mentioned there is a thread about it in the tech library. There are also posts about clapms that will work and look good.

Well I'm confused now. I have HD mufflers and I drilled the center out with the 1" and something bit. Can't remember the exact size. I can see all the way through the muffler. Once I did that there are baffle plates around the outside of the center tube. I then knocked the first round disk down to the second disk. These disks are tack welded around the middle baffle or tube. On mine the center tubes are still there and welded together. I can bend them back and forth a little. I did not go any further because it appears they are as large or larger than the opening in the inlet side. I didn't want anything rattling in the muffler.

Maybe I have missed what everyone is saying here. I would like to go a step further but I was not sure exactly what else to do. I tried to find a diagram of a HD muffler but could not find one. I keep saying one day I was going to stop by the HD Dealership somewhere and get a beat up muffler and open it up. :-) Maybe someone has already done that.

Spotsy

Spotsy,

If you have the 2 small baffle plates completely out of the mufflers then thats all of the mod that most folks do. I would imagine if you try to remove all the baffling then you stand a good chance at destroying the mufflers, and they would be obnoxioiusly loud. If your looking to get a loud exhaust system you'll have to look at some of the aftermarkets.

Guest JMAC71

Spotsy,

You can now take a dremel or a chisel and split the baffles in through the middle. Once you do that you can wiggle them back and forth and get them out. You have knoced the round plates loose, which is the big thing. It let the exhaust flow on past the baffles without forcing the exhaust through them. Even removing the first two stages of baffle, you aren't going to get much difference in sound. If you go to the third stage and do the same then you basically have a straight pipe. That will be pretty loud. I am saving this stage of mine until I ride it and see how I like it the way it is. Mine is a far improvement to me than what I had stock.

Jerry