IGNORED

wind!!

TxVenture

Fought the wind here in S. TX for the last 3 days and am wore down to a nub!! Don't really know the actual wind speed but estimate 25-30 mph straight wind with gusts up to 35-40 mph. Done wore out both sides of the Avons, never put the first mile on the center tho! LOL Also, never have had the wind try to take my helmet off, almost strangled me until I got the shield down! Oh well, all's well that ends well. :cool10::cool10:

Don H.

Guest tx2sturgis

Two years ago, while riding to Red River NM, three of us got pounded by 60mph sidewinds...not only was it moving us all over the road, it was literally, taking our breath away!! It was hard to breathe!

Yes, we were riding lidless, but a helmet might have been bad too, with all the buffeting. But we had to breathe forcefully, because the wind was causing a suction effect...damn...its funny now...but it was weird, to say the least.

Yep...we know about wind here in the Texas Panhandle...AND Eastern New Mexico!

We also had some strong winds here these last few days and as well for the Okla. M&E did not like those cross winds much but the new Wing did better than I thought. Peg took a lot of the wind and the Backrest on the Wing help her a lot but she still ended up in bed today with her back hurting. Yes I'm tired of this high winds too but that's TX-OK for you....

Buddy

I'm born and raised in Albuquerque, NM. Lived here my whole life. 30MPH wind is very common in spring and fall. Heck if it slows down to 15MPH we consider that to be NO wind.

The wind out here isn't really the problem. The problem arises from the sudden LACK of wind when being passed by a truck, or just rounding a mountainous corner. Nothing like being in a 30 degree lean going dead straight and having a truck block the wind suddenly. It almost feels like you're being sucked under the truck.

Ahh... good times... hehe.

Cheers.

Guest Mackinawman

Have rode across the Mackinac Bridge a few times w/high wind warnings. Being I have a problem with high places to begin with, it was scary, to say the least.

Last summer rode across the bridge in Duluth w/high wind warnings. Still have my finger imprints on the grips!

Guest tx2sturgis
I'm born and raised in Albuquerque, NM. Lived here my whole life. 30MPH wind is very common in spring and fall. Heck if it slows down to 15MPH we consider that to be NO wind.

Cheers.

Hey dude...beg to differ here.

The very reason that the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is there in October (fall!) is because there is almost no wind in the 'Albuquerque Box'...the Gas Balloons (heading east in the Great American Balloon Race) have to get up to about 10,000 feet or more just to get a breeze!

This also accounts for the famous Albuquerque 'Brown Cloud' that hangs around for several weeks in the fall.

You just dont get the winds there (other than the seasonal monsoons) that we get here in the flats. Cant fool me.

One of the last rides of the year for our Peoria/Bloomington/Pekin group in Central Illinois was to Hannibal, MO. Almost all 2-lane roads, nice scenery for this part of the country, but we fought side winds all the way there of 30-45 mph with gusts higher I suspect. Tried to take my helmet off, and had us all over the road. Luckily the day in Hannibal was nice, and on the way home, the winds had gone away a little and we were a little bit with them.

My previous bike, a Honda 750 Supersport with Vetter Fairing (yea it was the 80's!) used to get the front airborne on some of the worst windy days here in the flat farmland of central IL.