IGNORED

how do you modify r/k mufflers???

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have recently purchased some R/K mufflers. They look almost like the Ventures. However, although I have seen several people talking about modifying them, i'm not quite sure what they mean about stage 1,2,3,&4 modifications. I do better with pictures than words. On the mufflers I got, I am able to look directly through the center and see what is on the other side. There are baffles in them that I can see, but I can still look through the center of them. My question is how do I know what stage they are, and what can I do to modify them for more sound.

Thanks,

Big Mike:15_8_211[1]:

Well, tell you what Big Mike, if you can look through and see the other side, the baffles have been drilled out. You can forget about the first several stages, you are at the last stage.

Enjoy them, you will love the sound.

Steve

Thanks Eagleeye, that is the answer I was looking for. However, one more question, On my stock Venture mufflers I have about 5 holes drilled in the end where the baffles slide in. This is not done on the r/k mufflers. Does this help get more sound or not really? :think:

Big Mike

Mike,

If you want, I have the holesaw and everything to open the HD pipes up. You could shoot out to the house and we could do it in my garage when the pipes are on the bike. I have done this to both of my G2's and love the sound, not obnoxious but rumble very nicely :happy34:

Mike,

If you want, I have the holesaw and everything to open the HD pipes up. You could shoot out to the house and we could do it in my garage when the pipes are on the bike. I have done this to both of my G2's and love the sound, not obnoxious but rumble very nicely :happy34:

Squidley,

I haven't put them on yet but that sounds great. I would actually like to hear the sound of yours, and compare them to mine to see what the difference is before I do anymore modifications to them. When I do install them, i'll get with you to let you know and we'll have to make a time to get together. Thanks alot for your generosity!!! By the way when you say open them up are you referring to the inside of the pipes? Because if that is the case I can look straight through them. Thanks again.

Big Mike:dancefool:

Squidley,

I haven't put them on yet but that sounds great. I would actually like to hear the sound of yours, and compare them to mine to see what the difference is before I do anymore modifications to them. When I do install them, i'll get with you to let you know and we'll have to make a time to get together. Thanks alot for your generosity!!! By the way when you say open them up are you referring to the inside of the pipes? Because if that is the case I can look straight through them. Thanks again.

Big Mike:dancefool:

We'll help it along Mike...thats why were here

:) You mentioned being able to look into the pipes and see through them? If this is the case then the baffles have already been removed as the baffles would block your sight when looking through them. As far as comapring the sound, we'll have to get with another of the Michigan members as my '99 was totalled in January :bawling: We'll make it happen one way or another :happy34:

BIG MIKE i replaced my mufflers last month with H-Ds . was a easy job to take out the baffles and with squidlys brackets went on the bike real nice. sounds like a hot rod when you take off .if you live in the macomb township aera you can check out mine if you want.

john

Guest JMAC71

Just curious, what year HD pipes did you get? I bought an older set of Road King pipes for mine. You could see all the way through them, but it was like a 1 inch diameter hole. They still had baffles in them. From the inlet in, I took the first two stages of baffles out and then on the outlet end, drilled 5 holes in each of the endlet plates. Pipes sound great. I know my stock Yamaha pipes, you couldn't see through them at all whereas the older HD pipes did have a one inch hole all the way through before I even drilled them. They sounded much better drilled too by the way. I think you will like the sound.

Jerry

Just curious, what year HD pipes did you get? I bought an older set of Road King pipes for mine. You could see all the way through them, but it was like a 1 inch diameter hole. They still had baffles in them. From the inlet in, I took the first two stages of baffles out and then on the outlet end, drilled 5 holes in each of the endlet plates. Pipes sound great. I know my stock Yamaha pipes, you couldn't see through them at all whereas the older HD pipes did have a one inch hole all the way through before I even drilled them. They sounded much better drilled too by the way. I think you will like the sound.

Jerry

They are off of a 2002 road king. I went back to the owner I bought it from ( a friend) and asked him if he had the mufflers drilled out. He did in fact have the plate that was on the inlet side drilled and the muffler can be looked through now. He did however leave the 3 baffles in the muffler.

Would anyone suggest removing the baffles or will I get great sound from these the way they are? Also if I was to remove a baffle or baffles will I create a problem?

Thanks,

Big Mike:think: