IGNORED

2nd gear cut and measurements

Finally got up the courage to cut my 5th gear dogs today. Set it up in my drill press with an adjustable angle vise. I thought this might help keep it straight and I should be able to do the back cut also by angling the vise. Need to get a new stone first, will try that tomorrow night. I just rotated the gear and vice lightly around the stone (as it was turning, of course!) following the curve of the dog. Two dogs started at .0476, the other one was .0484 dimension across the widest part of the curved faces. Cut all three down to .0466 +/- .0001. Looked pretty good, and I believe all the rounded top is gone. Did not grind the other side (deceleration side) as I could not see any rounding on them. Will also try to backcut the slots with the vise as I can duplicate the exact angle I used on the dogs. Thought it might be easier than doing "freestyle" with the Dremel tool.

Here are some measurements on the old and new thrust washer and clips and the clip groove in the driven axle:

Plate washer: Old 1.98mm thick 25.23mm ID 4.38mm wide (ID to OD)

New 2.02mm thick 25.28mm ID 4.38mm wide

Thrust clips Old 3.06mm thick 6.67mm width groove cut in by wear .85mm

New 3mm thick 6.5mm width

Groove on shaft where split clips go-- 3.22mm

So, I guess, there is meant to be about .15-.2mm play in the groove where the split clips go? I hope it's ok, 'cause I really don't want to spend $225.00 on a new axle. Any thoughts? I can't figure out why they would make the "new" split clips thinner than the old. Couldn't see much rounding on the pressure side (outboard) of the groove in the axle.

Here are some pics

Hey, I work in this garage, ain't got time to keep the bench lickety split clean!!!!!

16863.jpg 16864.jpg 16865.jpg 16866.jpg 16867.jpg 16868.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Looks like fun. And hey, you haven't seen my workbenches. Might you be able to get that done this year, so you can get to adding some more states to your map?

That's the plan. Shooting for the end of May. Got my son polishing chrome (gotta start 'em somewhere, huh?!), got a lot of side work getting in the way, but I gotta pay for this stuff, too. It'll go quicker now that I've got parts and I'm over this gear cutting phobia !!!!:). I can start assembling things now.

Dan

Dano, it looks like you are doing great. Sounds like you know what you are doing. It is not really that difficult, but you do need to pay attention to what you are doing and it looks like you are. Did you ever find a 1/8 inch radius gage?

When you get finished with this project and are able to scream through the gears, you will feel so good about it. And, you will have a feeling of closeness with your bike you never had before.

RandyA

Thanks guys, with the time available to work on it being small, it's taking awhile. But it is fun when I get to do it! That does give me plenty of time to think about it, though. Thanks for the words.

Dan

My 84 is doing fine with only 25k on it. I wonder if I should pull it down and replace the thrust plate and washer items before it goes later. I have some seals leaking now that need attention soon. I would like to get it on the bench and clean up those nasty tarnished engine cases. My spare 89 engine with only 15k could be installed for a while.

My 84 is doing fine with only 25k on it. I wonder if I should pull it down and replace the thrust plate and washer items before it goes later. I have some seals leaking now that need attention soon. I would like to get it on the bench and clean up those nasty tarnished engine cases. My spare 89 engine with only 15k could be installed for a while.

I did mine as a preventative last year, why wait until it acts up.............

• 2 weeks later...

There have been Rumours that a Bike could be back in Business on Tuesday Night...

Now, it's Wednesday Evening, Tax Papers are set and done, and i still didn't hear anything ??

Could someone set that straight for me, please ?

:bighug:

OK, update time... Finished my (house) taxes Monday nite after baseball game and 10 minutes on here. Took boys Honda Elite scooter apart last night, drilled out the washer in the exhaust and removed the clutch limiter plate....extra 7 mph off the bat, need to adjust carb (falling flat on its face at WOT) and he can put it back together (plastics). Did his taxes last night, finished and sent at 11:30 PM. Have the dogs cut on 5th gear, got some new stones today to do undercut and try undercut on the pockets on the 2nd gear side....all parts are in for re-assembly.. Will finish cutting gears tonite, redo the containment plate on shift cam pins (got 1 finger tweaked and cracked-fix it now) and will start reassembly of drive axle tonite. Took the next 2 days off, do a side job tomorrow (gotta pay for a superbrace! THanks Condor) get back on the bike after that, should have motor together by the weekend. Then on to the frame and everything else!!!

Thanks for keepin' kickin' me in the butt Squeeze,

Dan

OK, update time... Finished my (house) taxes Monday nite after baseball game and 10 minutes on here. Took boys Honda Elite scooter apart last night, drilled out the washer in the exhaust and removed the clutch limiter plate....extra 7 mph off the bat, need to adjust carb (falling flat on its face at WOT) and he can put it back together (plastics). Did his taxes last night, finished and sent at 11:30 PM. Have the dogs cut on 5th gear, got some new stones today to do undercut and try undercut on the pockets on the 2nd gear side....all parts are in for re-assembly.. Will finish cutting gears tonite, redo the containment plate on shift cam pins (got 1 finger tweaked and cracked-fix it now) and will start reassembly of drive axle tonite. Took the next 2 days off, do a side job tomorrow (gotta pay for a superbrace! THanks Condor) get back on the bike after that, should have motor together by the weekend. Then on to the frame and everything else!!!

Thanks for keepin' kickin' me in the butt Squeeze,

Dan

I hope i didn't hear some nasty Subtone ?

My intend sure wasn't to kick you anywhere. Dan, please, i just was hoping for GOOD NEWS.

Without a Doubt, if i would be in your Area, we would have Sort of Motor Renewal Party with Fun wrenching along with one or another adult Beverage and a nice Race on the Screen. I'd love to work on a Motor, since i haven't done anything inside a V4 since 7 Month.

And i sure know what can come in our Way. I'm way behind Schedule on my EFI Project, because i hurt my Back 6 Weeks ago and couldn't do much anything else than thinking, sketching and overthinking some minor Issues regarding the EFI. Got back in more or less painless Mode last Wekend and mounted a new full Exhaust System on my Max the last two Evenings and after all, i don't like the Tone this System produces ... real Bummer

But it's designed Part of the FI and needs to be there when i go into EFI Mode. But i'm sure this Exhaust won't stay long on my Bike. Except if it produces a Lot more Power than i used to have with the Cans i had before.

Venture Plate is going to active Duty on 1st of May, so i better get busy there also. I have some Work to do and my Wife has already made up several Plan where to ride.

No nasty's intended, Squeeze, I really appreciate the encouragement. Got the gears done and reassembled the drive axle last night, unfortunately thats all. Will really get it into "gear" (nice pun, huh!) tonite. You better get going too!! Hope your "rear-end" is working better and glad we finally had a chance to help you!

Off to work now,

Dan

No nasty's intended, Squeeze, I really appreciate the encouragement. Got the gears done and reassembled the drive axle last night, unfortunately thats all. Will really get it into "gear" (nice pun, huh!) tonite. You better get going too!! Hope your "rear-end" is working better and glad we finally had a chance to help you!

Off to work now,

Dan

Well Dan, i hope you're not only getting in Gear, i sincerely hope it stays there, as long as you're not shifting.

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Ah yeah, you're as right as i am, I'd better get it going. Darn, this Lumbago got me really stuck.