IGNORED

Cost to install tires

philmartin

I've seen prices all over the place for this. We have a local Honda dealer that will install for free if you buy the tires from them or for $25.00 per tire if you bring in the wheels and tires. That is what I have always done in the past.

If you are talking about their manual tire changer with the motorcycle attachment, I have one but have never used it. I probably will someday but as cheap as the Honda dealer hear will install them, I just haven't done so. It is pretty heavy and I think the price of shipping it from one member to another would make it impractical to do.

It's not difficult and you need no special tools except for a lift. It is a bit time consuming though. You have to remove the bags and at least the right muffler. $200.00 sounds high to me but maybe if I was in business I would feel differently. I would guess that they would have at least a couple of hours of labor in it.

I've been checking prices also. The shops tell me that it is 2 hrs labor. Cheapest price so far to take the bike in and have them do it is $140.00 from the local dealer. This includes mounting, balancing, greasing the parts that require it while it is apart, and puting everything back together.:080402gudl_prv:

Big Mike

Guest Ken8143

I have an 87. Took the tires off following Freebirds article in the tech library. Guy charged me $30 per tire to put the new rubber on. Otherwise it would have been $150 at least for them to take tires off, mount, and put them on.

That is too rich for my blood.

Try your local dealer not all are jerks I have two in my area and the smaller of them mounted and balanced both front and rear tires that I got online. They charged me $75 and were very cool about it, they now have a regular customer.

I've taken wheels and new tires to two different dealers around here and gotten whacked both times. The dealer with the nicest looking storefront and spiffiest showroom charged me the most. Probably the cheapest way to go is to find an independent shop, a one man shop who works on anything and everything. He'll have the least overhead. I found an independent guy near me who will mount and balance tires brought to him for $20 a piece plus cost of balance weights. Last Saturday he charged me $43 to do two wheels for the wife's V Star 1100. I don't think it gets any less than that anywhere. He'll be seeing me around again.

I pay 25 Cdn to get them installed and balanced, when you bring the tires in. Actually there is a couple places here that charge the same amount.

Never asked what it would cost to bring the bike in. It is not hard to pull the tires off

Brad

I pay between $20 and $25 to have the tires changed and balanced if i just take the wheels in to them. I get a price quote for tires, and I try to get them to match my price, but they can't beat SWMoto's prices. They seem to understand.

If I take the bike in to the shop it's $75. If I take it to Predock's it's free but you have to listen to his stories all day :rotf:

Almost worth the 75 bucks. :rotf: Next time he will tell you about sitting in the Hotel all day becuase it was raining. :rotf:

Brad

Guest Saddletramp

Am I misssing something? After reading the service manual it appears that the entire right rear of the bike has to be disassembled. The manual starts by telling you to remove the rear fender, trunk, rt. saddlebag, saddlebag rail, all sorts of washers and collars. Then they call for torque specs. upon reassembly. This coupled with grease specs. it sounds like a very involved job. Oh ya, it also says to remove exhaust. This is the Clymer manual that I'm refering to.

Am I misssing something? After reading the service manual it appears that the entire right rear of the bike has to be disassembled. The manual starts by telling you to remove the rear fender, trunk, rt. saddlebag, saddlebag rail, all sorts of washers and collars. Then they call for torque specs. upon reassembly. This coupled with grease specs. it sounds like a very involved job. Oh ya, it also says to remove exhaust. This is the Clymer manual that I'm refering to.

That's why I'm paying to have it done.

This I believe is only required if you do not lift the bike high in the air. All I take off is exhaust (just the last three feet), and saddlebags.

Of course the brake caliper and then a few bolts. THe trick is to get the bike up as high as the jack will go so that there is clearance to remove the tire. My bike jack lifts the bike enough to get the tire out without removing all those extra parts.

I personally would torque the main bolt but I believe it is 125 ftlbs, which is bloddy tight so that one is up to you. (Actually my torque wrench is only 100 ftlbs so click then a little more.)

BRad

I hear that Harbor Freight sells a good portable tire changer with Motorcycle tire attachment, but you have to turn some wrenches.

It would be a great tool for a motorcycle club to purchase

If you are talking about their manual tire changer with the motorcycle attachment, I have one but have never used it. I probably will someday but as cheap as the Honda dealer hear will install them, I just haven't done so. It is pretty heavy and I think the price of shipping it from one member to another would make it impractical to do.

I was referring to a local bike club that normaly rides together, not an Internet based group of riders.

I agree that it would be too expensive to ship around the country.

I may purchase one, someday, if no local rider has one.