IGNORED

Prices on rear shock

Ok, I've given up on my dream for an affordable rear shock for the 2nd gens.

Part # 4XY-22210-10-00

The best price I can find on a rear shock is $348.02 + 17.50 shipping for a total of 365.52 from www.motorsportssupercenter.com

from www.motorsportssuperstore.com , it's 375.77 + 5.95 shipping with my RSW discount.

from www.yamahasportsplaza.com , it's 343.32 + 19.32 shipping , total of 362.64

So come on all you cheapskates, find me the cheapest shock.

Im pricing the 2008 model shock, it's different then the 99 model. Hopefully it's more gooder.

I don't know what the 2nd gen venture shocks look like, we didn't get them in the uk.

For mine (first gen), though it was cheaper to go to a manufacturer of car shocks and have one made to my own spec. I went to Gaz Shocks http://www.gazshocks.com/ and had one built for £110 or thereabouts in about two weeks.

I had a coil-over spring with the spring seats sitting on a thread to adjust the preload and had the total length 1/2" longer than standard. If the second gen swing arm geometry is similar to first gen, a spring about 800lbs/in could be a good starting point and expect to precompress it about an inch.

I wouldn't be surprised if American engineering shops aren't cheaper still.

Well personally I wouldn't go with the OEM shock. Now since you have a 99 and I am assuming the shock has gone bad, some folks have gone to Yamaha and actually gotten a replacement shock free even out of warranty because of the reliability issues with the shock.

Im pricing the 2008 model shock, it's different then the 99 model. Hopefully it's more gooder.

From what I have read and seen, the "New and Improved Shock" is the same shock but with a vent hose added to it to help keep dirt out of the boot. Still has pretty much the same failure rate as the OEM. Yamaha has been known to replace the shock, but you will have to pay installation costs, or install it yourself. It's not really hard to do if you have a lift.

I decided against the OEM replacement shock and ordered a Works Performance shock from www.buckeyeperformance.com email them and let Rick know you are a member here. The shock is about $700.00 delivered, (Rick will be able to quote you an exact price) but it is custom made for you, your bike, and your riding style. No two are the same. It can also be rebuilt for around $100.00 although I have not heard of anybody needing this service yet.

I purchased one last year, installed it myself and couldn't be happier. I am a big guy 300lbs and I have had my 230lbs son on the back and not bottomed the bike out and it still drove like a dream. It is not an air shock but setting the preload is easy.

To me it's worth the extra coin to have the ability to get it rebuilt for a lot less than the cost of an OEM shock, plus it's a much more reliable shock. I have 25k on mine and no problems at all. No moaning or groaning. Well ok I moan and groan a little when I have to get off the bike.:)

yes, I'd replace it myself.

The prices are different for and 08 vs. a 99 shock and part numbers are different.

the 99 shock part # is 99999-03500-00 at a cost of 395.99 before shipping.

You are correct that's because Yamaha changed the design of the shock because of a high failure rate. Unfortunately they only added a vent hose to the boot and didn't do anything to address the woefully inadequate spring and piston.

Like I said before the failure rate seems to be roughly the same with the redesigned shock.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was happy at $435.00 and it did make a WORLD of difference on the ride. Was suprised how easy it was to change out, would have been much happier at $349, but still the improved ride is worth it!

If my shock goes I think I will try the Hagon shock with the remote preload adjuster, looks like a good deal to me. Below is an E-mail I received from a U.S. distributor:

Happy to help.

Hagon makes shocks for 98 and up 1300 Venture Star with VIN prefix XVZ13TF

or 4XY. Currently out of stock, can easily get, 2-4 weeks.

Cost is $394 plus UPS at cost to you which will vary depending on your

zip code. 'Off-the-shelf' shocks are assembled for an average rider- there

is enough adjustability in the stock shock to cover a wide range of loading.

It would be useful to know your weight, and whether you carry passengers (%

of time? Passenger weight?) or luggage (saddlebags? tank bag? top box?

loading in each?) and what your maximum loading (passenger/luggage) is

likely to be. If Hagons determine that your loading exceeds the design

parameters of the shock, they can supply to special order a shock with an

uprated spring. Conversely if you are very light, Hagons can for some shocks

supply a lighter spring. Softer and harder springs are available as custom

built units only for $464 and will take between 4 and 6 weeks to get here.

Shocks are also available to special order with a remote hydraulic spring

preload adjuster- $554 for a stock spec shock and $624 for an upgraded

spring model.

Hagon monoshocks are fully rebuildable and feature straight weight spring

with adjustable spring preload (threaded manual or hydraulic remote

adjuster), adjustable 15 position LINKED compression and rebound damping

(one adjuster for both) and a two year unlimited mileage warranty against

failure due to manufacturing defect. Bent shocks due to accident, impact,

dropped bike, improper installation or owner malfunction will not be

warranteed. Shocks are not returnable once they have been fitted. All

adjusting tools are included with the shock.

You can see representative Hagon monoshocks online at

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/HAGON_MONOSHOCKS.html

Shipping and insurance will be charged at cost and will vary depending on

what you order, your zip code and any fuel surcharges in effect on the day

your order ships. We ship by UPS in the continental USA, by Priority Mail

to AK and HI and by US Mail Express International outside of the USA.

For special orders we ask for a 50% good faith deposit when Hagons accept

the order, with the balance due when we ship. Please note- Special orders

are not returnable unless found to be defective.

If you're interested in ordering, we accept VISA & Mastercard; we need:

-name as it appears on your credit card

-daytime phone number

-billing address for the card

-ship-to address if different

-card number

-expiration date.

Call or Fax if you are uneasy about emailing credit card details.

Let me know if I can offer you any other information.

All the best,

Maggie

Dave Quinn Motorcycles

335 Litchfield Tpke Bethany CT 06524 USA

203-393-2651 FAX 203-393-1725

9-5 M T Th F 9-12 Sa

if you order a shock for a 1999 or a 2011, or any year in between... you will get the same shock.

in september of 2003 yamaha added a vent hose that made no change in the performance or quality of the shock, just slowed the rate of debris getting to the seal and wearing the chrome from the shaft of the shock.

the part numbers will appear different when looking them up in the sites that you may shop.....however they all supersede to the same number.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Dave Quinn Motorcycles about the Hagon shocks and they said they would need the rider weight, passenger weight and baggage weight in order to tell me if they could build a shock for me. I gave them a total weight of 500 lbs and they said too much weight for their shock. They will not tell you what the load capacity is, but it seems to be some where around 350 lbs total. I don't know many riders with passenger and luggage that could come in under 350lbs (maybe Bangladesh). I checked the links on this posting and they are all over $500. now, and that is for OEM parts that will have the same problems as the one we have now. I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the Works shock for around $700.00 that can be rebuilt if needed. They only have the manual adjustment feature, but I never used the air adjustment on mine anyway. Looking forward to see how much difference this makes in the ride.:shock3:

WARRANTY, i also have an '08 and it is still under warranty.

yamaha just replaced my inner and outter fairings due to what i think they decided as a weak design. the inner plastic tabs that hold the metal strip that the windshield attaches to both cracked, causing a space between the windshield and fairing.

Ok, I've given up on my dream for an affordable rear shock for the 2nd gens.

Part # 4XY-22210-10-00

The best price I can find on a rear shock is $348.02 + 17.50 shipping for a total of 365.52 from www.motorsportssupercenter.com

from www.motorsportssuperstore.com , it's 375.77 + 5.95 shipping with my RSW discount.

from www.yamahasportsplaza.com , it's 343.32 + 19.32 shipping , total of 362.64

So come on all you cheapskates, find me the cheapest shock.

I contacted Dave Quinn Motorcycles about the Hagon shocks and they said they would need the rider weight, passenger weight and baggage weight in order to tell me if they could build a shock for me. I gave them a total weight of 500 lbs and they said too much weight for their shock. They will not tell you what the load capacity is, but it seems to be some where around 350 lbs total. I don't know many riders with passenger and luggage that could come in under 350lbs (maybe Bangladesh). I checked the links on this posting and they are all over $500. now, and that is for OEM parts that will have the same problems as the one we have now. I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the Works shock for around $700.00 that can be rebuilt if needed. They only have the manual adjustment feature, but I never used the air adjustment on mine anyway. Looking forward to see how much difference this makes in the ride.:shock3:

Did they not offer you a customized shock with an upgraded spring? Ron:confused24:

When I bought the '99 the P.O. said the rear shock had been replaced under warantee and I figured the shock failure thing had been taken care of. Then I started reading here about multiple failures. Dang!! So I started searching Ebay for NOS RSV shocks. Figured it would never hurt to have a spare for the next time. Especially at the price they were getting for new OEM's. Found a like new shock off a trike conversion for $70 bucks, then ran into another used with 16,000 miles on it for $35 bucks. Cleaned up really well. So now I have a life time supply... my life time.-not the bikes... of shocks, and I promiss not to go after any more on Ebay. They're all yours..... :)

Talking about the rear shock when I bought Midnight from Mike he had the shock replaced under warranty but it went out on me last year before our trip to AR so I bought a used one before our trip and it did really good well guess what I was changing my rear tire for this trip back to AR today yep oil on the floor looked and the shock went out again crap.. I looked on flea bay found none and if I buy one from works it will take most of our vacation money but it would do me no good anyway because it has to be built and by the time its shipped the trip will be over with.... so it looks like the trailer will be left behind and hope the shock holds up for the trip to AR and back

so if anyone has a lead to a used shock to get me by for our June trip give me a pm

Buddy

I feel that it is time for me to look for a new rear shock. Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing amiss with the one I have. It does have 143,000 miles on it and with all this talk about them going south immediately, I may have to consider getting a replacement on the bench...just in case. Actually I have never had much go wrong witn my 02 RSMV. One clutch, tires and rebuild the front forks is all I have done.

:farmer:

Ron, they did not offer anything, just said the weight was too much for their part. The american dealer seemed very putout with them and said they (English) have no concept of customer service.

I just bought a Hagon shock and installed it yesterday. I ordered it on Friday morning from Hagon USA in CA. I received it on Tuesday and installed Wednesday. The shock cost me $399 shipped which I think is a great price. Was told that the shock (as delivered with no spring adjustment) was set up for a rider between 160 and 220. The spring can be adjusted 6 full turns (not sure what the weight range would be after full adjustment). I rode the bike to work this morning and home and am very very happy with the ride. I weigh 200lbs and the ride is great (but I have been riding the bike with a bad shock since I bought the bike last year. I was really impressed with the look and feel of the Hagon shock, not sure how it will hold up over time but one day in and im very happy.

If it holds up OK, that sounds like a great deal. That's a LOT cheaper than the Works shock which is the only other adjustable shock that I know of. The Hagon has been discussed here a few times but I think you may be the first that has actually tried one. Please keep us updated on how it works out for you.

I will keep you all posted on the Hagon shock. I rode bike to work as usual today and was grinning ear to ear the whole way. The bike feels so much more stable and doesnt bounce through the turns anymore. A friend of mine and I are gonna ride death valley tomorrow, its about a 350miler so we will see how that goes. supposed to be over 110 degrees tomorrow so we will see how I hold up as well.

My shock with 55,000 miles on it started leaving very small puddles last week so I went ahead and ordered the Works shock from worksperformance.com. They asked if I was a member of an online forum, I said yes and they said they would take ten percent off of the $690. I'm not sure if they have always offered this discount but it's a pretty big savings. The build time I was told is 3 to 4 weeks.