IGNORED

Removing the Choke Lever

Guest Vandel

Guest Vandel

I need to fix the turn signal switch and check the contacts it's sticking something fierce. But am unable to get the choke lever removed so I can split the lever assembly? Ideas? Won't pull off, don't see any screws? Baffled.

Thanks.

I need to fix the turn signal switch and check the contacts it's sticking something fierce. But am unable to get the choke lever removed so I can split the lever assembly? Ideas? Won't pull off, don't see any screws? Baffled.

Thanks.

I believe if you take the control off the bar by loosening the two screws, there's a phillips that holds the choke lever on the housing. Once off you can remove the cable...

• 11 years later...
I believe if you take the control off the bar by loosening the two screws, there's a phillips that holds the choke lever on the housing. Once off you can remove the cable...

I am having the same issue. Can't seem to figure out how to remove choke lever from signal assembly so I can open it to clean and lube my signal light switch

I am having the same issue. Can't seem to figure out how to remove choke lever from signal assembly so I can open it to clean and lube my signal light switch

What year Venture?

If it is a 1984 with the choke lever encircling the handle bar, you may have to remove the grip, or at least move it away from the choke lever and the switch assembly.

If it is a 1983 or 1985-1993, one does not have to remove the choke assembly from the switch body in order to service the switches. Two screws on the underside of the switch body "clamp" the assembly to the handlebar.

The 1984 choke ring is secured to the switch body by a ball detent riding in a groove molded into the switch body. One must depress the detent in order to remove the ring. You may also have to rotate the choke lever to align the lever tabs with the gaps in the concentric groove.

1984 Choke lever 58L-83960-00-00.jpg1984 choke assembly.jpg1984 Left Switch Housing.jpg

You need to get enough slack in the choke cable in order to rotate the lever until the inner tabs on the lever align with the gaps in the switch housing. Do this by either disconnecting the choke cable from the carb or (easier) rotate the switch housing around the handle bar until the lever tabs are aligned with the gaps, then slide the lever ring off.

1984 choke removal.jpg1984 choke removal 2.jpg