IGNORED

stock mufflers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest rooster522

Guest rooster522

guess what i did to my stock mufflers? i took a metel rod and knocked out some holes in the end of the mufflers. gave it a deeper tone alittle more rumble. does anyone know if this is going to hurt my 2006rstd? didnt get anybackfire , maybe time will tell. any one ever tried this before

Guest Bill Ingraham

Did you happen to take a picture(s) of the before, during, and after and the size of rod and where you punched it exactly?

guess what i did to my stock mufflers? i took a metel rod and knocked out some holes in the end of the mufflers. gave it a deeper tone alittle more rumble. does anyone know if this is going to hurt my 2006rstd? didnt get anybackfire , maybe time will tell. any one ever tried this before

Won't hurt a thing. I did the exact same thing to my 05 before it was totaled. I even drilled holes in the end plate and matching holes in the tips. It gave it a better sound, but no way near as nice as the HD RoadGlide pipes I have on my RSV now.

Wanted to keep the stockers so I just bought a set of pipes of an '07 Electra Glide for $40 + shipping.

I'm half expecting the right side to have a catalytic converter, so I'll break it up and shake it out.

If I like the stock sound I can leave alone or start punching holes in the baffles from the back end till I get the sound I want.

Probably will leave stock as I like to hear the radio.

Was curious if you had pictures of what you did to the mufflers? I am getting my 2008 RSTD in 2 weeks, I like the stock muffler looks.....but would not mind a little rumble.

If you were asking me, I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures of the ends.

Guest Bigin

Many have done this to their mufflers including me to my Electra glide. 60k miles and never had any problems from the mod.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Concours, Please help! I can't get the pic to open, and I tried to get the ones from yahoo pics to open, also to no avail. I'd love to see them I have a 07 RSTD and would like to retain the oem's. I'm not crazy about th r/k's because they have the slash up "/" verses the slash down "\" on the tips like mine and the only other ones I can find are the harley I believe the # is 65255-00 or 65254-00 with seperate end cones(purchased seperately) in 3" or 6" lengths, Thanks, Dan

Go to vstar1100.com, click on exhaust and check out the modification of the 1100 stock mufflers. It is exactly the same for the RSV. I just did it yesterday and love the sound. Bike runs great. Not too loud, can still hear tunes,CB, and sometimes unfortunatly the other half on the intercom. It took me about 45 mins. total and $100.00 for a pair of stock muffs picked up on Ebay. I kept my stockers just in case. I do have a pair of Stock head pipes for a 2007 RSV in case anyone is looking for a pair in perfect condition. Try the modification, You will be very pleased. By the way, there are pictures and all on the 1100 site step by step.

Ride safe All

Mike Allen

Guest Max Thomas

I bought a 99 venture and the baffles have been totally rmoved. It is so loud I cant hear the radioor anything. Do you know where I can buy some baffles or origional mufflers for my 99 venture for a reasonable price? Max Thomas max566@mtaonline.net

I was tempted to try this so I asked my dealer if it would void the warranty. He said yes it will. Modifying the stock equipment will void the warranty. You can add on aftermarket pipes and have it rejeted. He recomended getting the whole shabang, and not slipons. he said slipons dont do much but make more noise. A good exaust system, K&M filters and rejeting was the way to go according to him. The only thing he said that I dont understand is that he recomended Khrome Werks but after I looked at their site, all they make is slip ons for my bike. After looking around I did not see any one that sold a complete exaust system for a 2008 RSTD. Bub sells a set but they say it is for up to 2007.

Note that by punching the baffles or removing them, then my experience is you risk getting backfire. I bought my first Royal Star Tour Classic II 1998 last December and always thought it was a little loud. Also had bad backfiring when releasing the throttle while running in gear. Had synchronized the carbs, tuned the pilots with Color tune and it is in top adjustment - but still backfiring. Finally took it to a reputable repairman here in Iceland (story goes his mother gave birth to him sitting on the back of a Harley) and he immediately said that the bafflers must have been opened up/drilled by the sound of the exhaust. We checked - and he was right. To try to fix it I/we installed new pilot jets and tried different pilot jet adjustments but still backfiring. Note that there are no soldering faults on the y section of the pipes and all the gaskets are sealing perfectly. So - for me - New baffles - just hate the backfiring.

Would think the correct way is to get a complete system and rejet the carb.

Just my opinion.

• 11 years later...