IGNORED

1st Gen main fuse panel replacement

After finding the glass fuses falling out because the spring clips were brittle and snapping apart I decided to do an upgrade. I purchased a small fuseblock off of Ebay and set to work. I mounted the panel on the airbox cover. The fuse wiring was lengthened to form a harness. he harness is long enough that the cover can be removed and the air filter serviced without removing the fusebox. I used 90 deg/ terminals on the blade connectors to keep the finished profile narrow. The original main fuse has been replaced with a 40 amp Maxi-fuse and holder. All connections were crimped in and touched with a bit of solder. I also installed 4 gauge battery cables. The plug-in ground and main fuse got moved to the top of the battery. The extra fuse at the top of the panel is for the new driving lights. End result I feel came out excellent. I now find minimal voltage drops, and the bike starts easily both cold and hot. Total expenditure on this project was about $75.00. Labor was probably around 40-50 man hours. I chased all connectors and spent time cleaning and greasing terminals. I cleaned all terminals with CLR and then flushed with water. The grease is NYK corrosion preventative compound. Pictures attached of fuses and wiring.

Notes: The Bosch fuse and wiring on the LH fairing are for the driving lights.

The plug next to the fuel fill is for the battery tender. It is accessible

from the fuel door without pulling any panels.

JB

15809.jpg 15810.jpg 15811.jpg 15812.jpg

15813.jpg 15815.jpg 15816.jpg 15817.jpg

15818.jpg 15819.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Very well done. My Hat's off

What i would do to finish the Job is some Liquid Tape over the Blade Connectors on both Sides of the Fuse Panel, because it is too easy to shortcut them with Tools while working on other Areas of the Bike. Just my long time ago studied electric Soul speaking here.

And i would make out some Stickers on Panel and single Fuses. You know the use of each Fuse now and next Year, but since this Job holds up 5 Years at least, you may find yourself searching for Description in 5 Years ...

No Need to ask why i'm suggesting this .. .. :whistling::whistling:

I agree with you on the liquid tape. I have been waiting to see if I need any changes before sealing stuff up. I will probably loosen up the panel and make a form around the bottom then use an RTV or other type of potting compund. As to the markings, I have a laminated card set up to put in the trunk area. Good ideas. I do expect this repair to last a long time.

JB