IGNORED

Alberta to San francisco road trip:

Guest black knight

Guest black knight

I am considering going on a road trip from Calgary, Alberta to San francisco, CA, any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated, I am really pumped about this trip.

I wish I could remember the route I took 25 years ago! But whichever way you go it will be nice. Although, I dont think I would cross the salt lake desert again. Maybe things have changed but I had a rough go of it on my 83 royale, burned out the stator and got stuck in some small town for several days waiting for parts.

If it were me...I would need two months to see all the things there are to see along the way!

enjoy!

I am considering going on a road trip from Calgary, Alberta to San francisco, CA, any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated, I am really pumped about this trip.

Time of the year may dictate which route would be best Pat. When do you plan on doing it?? Also is this a 'ride-about', or do you have a reason for going?? In the back on my mind I've been thinking about the possibility of doing a two week ride-about up into Canada via Seattle, over to Lethbridge, south thru Glacier to Kalispell MT., in mid-September, and end up in Reno for Street Viabrations. The weather will have a lot to do with whether I drop down into Nevada or go west up north... There's lots of things to do and see no matter which way you go....

You might consider U.S. 101 from Somplace on the Washington Coast, all the way to San Franscisco. However this is a slow route, but the most Senic.

If you take this route, plan at least 3 full days from N.E. Wa. Coast to San Fran. , maby 4 depending on how fast you want to travel.

On Return trip either take I-5, from San Fran, to Weed Calif, than cut over on U.S. 97, which will take you all the way back into Canada.

Scenery thru Central Oregon is completly different then the Coast Route.

This way you have two totally different route's.

If you have lots of time, consider some of the roads that run east and west between the Coastal Route ( ie. 101 ) and I-5.

I especially Reccomend the Highway from Grants Pass, Oregon to Cresent City, Calif. on the coast, U.S. 199. a great Scienic ride.

Also from Red Bluff, Ca. east or west on Calif. Hyw 36 to Eureka, Ca. is a great ride.

Have you ever ridden I-5 from about, Roseburg, Or. all the way to Redding, Calif. Even though this is a 4 lane freeway, and lots of trucks, this stretch of road has great Scenery, and if a very fun ride. Lots of curves, Mt. pass's.

The Coast ride all the way from N.W. Corner of Washington to San Fran, is a must, once in a life time run if you have not done it.

If you are traveling double, I would plan 4 days for this run to do it justice.

( If you are an Aviation Buff, let me know, I have a few special attractions you would Enjoy, greatly , along this route )

Just for Ref: I-5 from San Fran to Seattle, if you just run it, allow two days to get back to the Border.

I would suggest that on return trip, from Portland you take 84 east, ( thru columbia river valley) then cut up thru Central, Wa. on U.S. 97. Again, totaly different Scenery then the I-5 route, or the Coast route.

Also , a side run to consider, is Grand Coulee Dam, in Central Wa. as a quick stop, if you have never been there.

IF so, then Wa. Hyw, 155, going S. from the Dam, to Coulee City, is a very uniq rkde. ( Note: Google " Dry Falls " and dry river valley )

Another good Return Route, would be go thru La Grand, Ore, and take the Sceinic " Hells Canyon " back roads around there. You could spend an extra two days on some of the back roads. just N.E. of La Grand, Ore.

Also, if you run 97 thru central Oregon, be sure to stop at " Crater Lake ".

Guest black knight

Thanks for the replys everyone, I am considering doing this trip in the middle of May for two weeks, I want to see Alcatraz and do some tours of San francisco . I plan to go through Lethbridge, Idaho falls, Twin falls, Reno, and then maybe come back on the #101 through British Columbia and ride through the mountians coming home, it should be a great trip.

Patrick.:

Thanks for the replys everyone, I am considering doing this trip in the middle of May for two weeks, I want to see Alcatraz and do some tours of San francisco . I plan to go through Lethbridge, Idaho falls, Twin falls, Reno, and then maybe come back on the #101 through British Columbia and ride through the mountians coming home, it should be a great trip.

Patrick.:

Late spring would be a great time to do the high dessert. Depending on the weather some of the mountain passes over the Sierras (I-80) could have snow. Just be patient and pick your weather window....

Patrick-

With the route you're planning, you can get to Yellowstone for a 2- 2 1/2 hour add to your trip (plus playtime in the park). Mammoth Hot springs has a great place to get ice cream, I hear it's good for the soul. There are some good twisties in the park and beautiful scenery. They have places to spend the night whether you're camping or staying motels. Have a great trip!!

:080402gudl_prv:

May can be bad weather wise. Watch for snow in those mountain passes....but farther south you might just be ok!

I know I wouldnt be on a bike doing a run like ....Calgary to Vancouver ....it snows in those passes sometimes into June!

I cant swear for further south though.

Man I wish I could that trip again!

Have fun!

Patrick.:

That's the exact route I took back in the late 80's. Only I went all the way to San Diego, then turned and headed north up the Pacific Coast Highway (#1). To me, this is one of the most scenic highways in the U.S. It's unbelievable. It's much slower going, but it's definitely worth it. If you have the time, head south from San Fran on the PCH & take in Hearst Castle (close to San Simeon), Morro Bay, etc. Lots of tremendous sight seeing along that stretch. The PCH intersects with the 101 at times which helps speed things up abit. I took the PCH up to around Seattle before cutting over and hitting Interstate 5 North because I was running out of time. Then I also came home through B.C. I did this trip in July and my only concern for you going in May would be the weather. Good luck & all the best!:fingers crossed:

Guest black knight

Well guys from what I'm hearing; May in the BC Rockies might be a problem, perhaps I should rethink that part of the trip and leave the BC mountains for later in the summer, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Patrick