I was wondering what others have done to raise the height of their stock (or other) handlebars and also bring the bars back closer to the rider. Suggested options for risers and/or alternative style handlebars will be appreciated. Note on any special installation procedures will also help. Thx.

You basically have two choices. Many of us have installed the Flanders G2 bars. Do a search here for "Flanders" and you'll find a lot of info about then. You can also go with risers from Baron's. With either one, longer brake and throttle cables are recommended but some have done the installs without them. Stainless Steel brake lines are a great addition anyway though.

I installed the Barons risers on my bike and have been very satisfied with them. I was able to install them without changing cables. I believe I had to slide the front brake lever about 3/8" closer to the center to get things to work smoothly. They let me set up in a more relaxed riding position.

DT

Recently installed the Baron's Risers and love 'em. Had to re-route throttle cables to fix binding with the handle bars turned to the far right, not a big deal. You get about an 1" of rise and an inch closer, doesn't sound like much but it made for a perfect fit for me.

Just installed the Baron's 1.5" risers on my 03 RSV. Baron's guarantees they'll fit without re-cabling. They did, but if it hadn't been for a few folks here who'd done it, I might not have installed 'em. The cables fit, but it's not easy. I had to install the right side first, then the left, after I'd loosened the clutch side bundle at the handlebar.

Since we're having some crappy weather, I haven't been able to check them out on a run--check for binding, etc.--but what a difference they make in positioning. (I installed them to avoid hitting my knees in lock turns--works fine for that.)

Good luck.

I also have installed the risers. 1 1/2" does make a BIG difference.

I wanted to go with the Flanders bars (and I think I will later) but I could not justify putting new cables on my 07.

Once I get a couple more years on it, I will most likely change but as of now, I like the risers and the price.

The only issue I have is the plastic center piece will be hit when I turn very sharp but is flexes so it is not a problem.

Put them on......you will like the difference.

Guest Highway

Was getting a burn between my shoulder blades on long rides. Did not want to change bars or spend $500 to $600 to change cables and bars. Bought 3/4 inch extension from Barons for less than $70 dollars. no more burn, and it takes about 10 min. to install. Best item I have purchased for my 06 ven. Went over 4000 miles in Sept. and felt great with the small change the ext. made. I always felt that you get a front end that has to much flex at slow speeds with risers. Just my opinion.

Buddy Rich,

Thanks for the URL.

I have rotated my handle bars thru many postions but would like them higher, and more level, so the extensions might just do the trick.

I will shake the piggy bank and see if enough $ fall out...

BTW I am 6'6" tall and weigh 280 LBS... so most bikes dont fit me, but the 2nd Gen RSV is the closets fit I could find.

Folks: Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I have also read that some people have used the Royal Star Tour Deluxe handlebars on the Venture with some success. What has been your experience with this mod?

I heard from a guy that says he has done it... and loves it. Even with +2" height, +2" pullback, and +2" in width, he said he only needed 2" longer cables and hoses. I've got a set of bars ordered. I'm going to put them in place to get a rough feel for them and to measure hose and cable lengths.

• 1 month later...

I have ordered a set of 1.5 inch risers. Just wondering what to do with the rubber mounts between the fairing and the handlebars. From looking at it, I assume they won't fit after adding the risers?

Comments?

The rubbers help put pressure on the fairing to keep it from banging. Without the rubbers, my fairing knocks on hard bumps. With the risers, you cant mount the rubbers without some mods. I have a rubber company here in town and im going to bring them the stock rubbers to see if they can add the additional height needed to slip under the bars. Ill let you all know how that works out soon.

I have ordered a set of 1.5 inch risers. Just wondering what to do with the rubber mounts between the fairing and the handlebars. From looking at it, I assume they won't fit after adding the risers?

Comments?

If you can get your hands on some industrial rubber sheeting about 1/2" - 3/4" thick and cut some pieces about 1" X 2" it's easy enough to just wedge these between the risers and the fairing. That will do the same job as the stock ones did.

Thanks for the response guys.

I just happen to have some rubber sheets at work that are about 1/2 inch thick. I'll see what I can make up.

If you can get your hands on some industrial rubber sheeting about 1/2" - 3/4" thick and cut some pieces about 1" X 2" it's easy enough to just wedge these between the risers and the fairing. That will do the same job as the stock ones did.

No, these are riser extensions as apposed to a different riser. Just take the four bolts out of the top of the stock riser, lift the handle bar up and put the extension in. Replace the bar, caps and use the supplied longer bolts.

No, these are riser extensions as apposed to a different riser. Just take the four bolts out of the top of the stock riser, lift the handle bar up and put the extension in. Replace the bar, caps and use the supplied longer bolts.

:confused24: Sorry :confused24: Gary. :confused24: I'm :confused24: confused! :confused24:

What's the difference between a 'riser' and a 'riser extension'?

I have what is depicted in MAINEAC'S post.

When I look at the top of my clamps there is nowhere to grab the tops of the bolts.

No bolt heads and no hex heads. Just smooth and recessed.

Perhaps if I too a foter and posted it so you can see?

I have a thread started about lowering the front of a RSTD and these extensions will raise the handlebars 1 1/2", so I could slide the tubes up 1"

Should work out just right. And use the same cables.

Plus they're on sale for $59.

Steve