IGNORED

How remove emblems from tank?

Use a strong piece of fishing string and wedge it between tank and emblem..

Cover gas cap with wet wash rag to avoid any excess gas funes. Safety purposes only here..you dont really have to do this, but I would... then

Heat the emblem with a hair dryer and work the fishing string back and forth in saw like motion and it will come off..

after emblem has been removed, spray libral amount of WD-40 onto a clean cotton cloth an rub any remaining glue off tank.

Your ready now to apply new emblem.

Thanks ECK - AFTER the emblems come off damaged tank, I want to be able to put them onto another good tank. Not worried about removing glue etc.

Will the rubber on emblems be OK after using the Fishing line to remove them?

What is best way and glue to apply the used emblems onto the good gas tank?

I warm the emblem up a bit using a hair drier, and then like Eck use a piece of 80# mono fishing line to cut thru the glue. Once it's off you'll need to clean up the back of the emblem...I use a fillet knife... and replace the two sided tape. I found tape at my local auto paint store. Not cheap but man does it hold.

Sticking emblem.

Clean the back of the emblem (light sand and IPA final wipe). The best I have found for adhesive is using the 3M VHB tapes or the 3M LE series (low energy for powder coat surfaces and plastics). Use the IPA wipe also on your surface you are sticking it to (should not do damage to gloss coat). You will have to trim the emblem when you apply it to the 3M (I generally do not use the foam based tapes if both surfaces are flat or parallel to each other). If you can't find the tape and need a small amount just drop me a pm and I will get enough out to you to do the job (no charge).

You can also re-attach the emblems using car molding glue and can be found at any auto store and even Wally World.

It comes in a small (or large) tube which ever you want, and you can apply it carefully in several places on the emblem, then align it on the tank.

You could also have a piece or two of masking tape ready, to tape / hold the emblem in place until molding glue dries.

Note: The molding glue is really not runny either..it is more like RTV sylicone..

Wal-Mart now handles the double sided tape that is used to install car and motorcycle emblems. Also. Wal-Mart handles it in small rolls that you might not find at the Auto parts store. The tape comes in red and blue, get the red, it is really strong.