IGNORED

Left side oil leak

I have an oil leak somewhere one the left side around kickstand.Any guesses? Could it be the o-ring around the clutch slave cyclinder?Also cant seem to stop a leak around the bottom allen screw around the middle bearing cover.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark

Mark the oil leak can either be from the clutch slave or the shifter shaft seal if it is not from a gasket.The middle gear cover bolt that is leaking should have a copper washer on it as has been said it is the oil drain for the tranny.

Call me if you need to ask any questions.

Jeff

I chased a 'pesky' leak on the left side of my '88 Venture (in the same area you are talking about). It was dropping/seeping oil on to the exhaust causing a burn't oil odour occassionally. Turned out to be the neutral start/shift indicator switch......it's the white plastic 3 screw cover and has 5/6 wires to it. The oil appeared to be leaking by the copper inserts moulded into the palstic housing. After replacing this no more leaks. Initially I checked and repaired the side cover gasket...checked and resealed the bolt with the copper washer etc...all the things mentioned here so far...but resolved it when i replaced the switch.

Hey Jeff, I am having some oil leak problems in that area as well. I opened the middle gear cover and the "o" ring in the middle was broken so I replaced it. I put the cover back on and the leak is greatly reduced but I still get oil seeping out of the two screws holding the cover on. I did not find any kind of washer behind either screw. If this is what you are talking about, where can I get these copper washers? I have also found

hydraulic fluid from time to time puddled on the floor under the bike if I havent ridden the bike in a few days. Any idea about that? Thanks bro

Terry

Mark the oil leak can either be from the clutch slave or the shifter shaft seal if it is not from a gasket.The middle gear cover bolt that is leaking should have a copper washer on it as has been said it is the oil drain for the tranny.

Call me if you need to ask any questions.

Jeff

Bingo dude, that was what I mean brake fluid. As for Bike Bandit, since they dont likes an 84 XVZ1200 in pulling up parts, what model do you use to find part for your 83? Thanks for all your help.

Terry

When you say hyd fluid do you mean brake fluid?

If so I would look at the slave cyl.

The washer is available from the dealer or bike bandit this is the Yamaha part #90430-06014-00

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Here ya go Terry it is item 23

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-venture-royale-xvz12tdk-1983/o/m7869

It sounds like you may need to rebuild the slave cyl or the hose to it is leaking tht is the only thing on the left side of the bike that has brake fluid.

Look up your parts under an 83 or85 all the parts are the same except the trunk on those years.

Jeff

Here ya go Terry it is item 23

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-venture-royale-xvz12tdk-1983/o/m7869

It sounds like you may need to rebuild the slave cyl or the hose to it is leaking tht is the only thing on the left side of the bike that has brake fluid.

Look up your parts under an 83 or85 all the parts are the same except the trunk on those years.

Jeff

I'm not sure what the price of a new slave is now, but I picked up one from http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/ for around $65 bucks a couple of years ago. The difference between the cost of a rebuild kit and new was only about $25, so went with new. There's also http://www.ysppart.com/ in Seattle and they give 25% off yamaha parts. The insides of a clutch slave get pretty ugly after 20+ years, as water settles in the cylinder and rusts things up a bunch. Another reason to change fluids every year.....:)

Hi All; My .02 cents worth. All copper washers can be reused if they are annealed. Hang them on a coat hanger and heat with a butane torch until cherry red. Drop them in cold water and you are done. You will find them soft as butter and ready to seal whatever you're working on. Sometimes it's inconvienent to wait for new .80 cent parts. . . . There is a limit to number of annealings. The washer will get thinner each time. Never had one leak though. Ride safe, Steve