IGNORED

handlebar risers

noahzark

OK, I've lost another round of "Stump the Dummy." That'll be the subtitle to my autobiography one day, "King Loser of Stump the Dummy."

I bought the Baron's 1.5" risers some time ago for my 03 RSV and am just now getting around to installing them--the garage and outside temperature are 38 degrees, plenty warm enough to do this simple job.

To make a longer story shorter, there isn't enough slack in my cabling to allow the handlebars to slip into the risers. Oh, sure, I could hook a come-along to 'em and the garage wall, coul put it all back together and drop it off at the dealer, or I could even take Baron's up on their guarantee. BUT, before I do any of these, I wanted to check and see if there's a trick to this, or if the temperature is too cool to allow the lines to limber up enough, or is there a clamp I cannot see that's holding things up?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Snakebit.

I don't remember if I raised the tank when I installed mine or not, I think I did to gain slack in the throttle cables. There was enough slack but I did have to wiggle the wires and cables alot to get the length I needed. I love the risers on mine. Rod

It is a bit of a tussle, I had to fiddle with mine a couple of times to get enough slack, but there is enough you just need to wiggle and pull a bit more. I did take the cables out of the clamps on the bars while I was trying the get the slack I needed and then worked them back into the clamps once the risers were installed.

Good Luck

. . . There was enough slack but I did have to wiggle the wires and cables alot to get the length I needed. I love the risers on mine. Rod

It is a bit of a tussle . . .

Thanks, guys, that's exactly what I needed--a little inside info. Now, if the garage warms up enough tomorrow, I'll get that come-along.:whistling:

By the way, I'm trying to get the bars up enough to keep from hitting my knees in lock turns. I'm sure they'll work because I can ALMOST raise the stock bars enough. Thanks again.

Guest redknight13

I actually did both the risers and the Starbar on my 06 and it was a bit of a challenge to get enough throttle cable slack but I ended up moving the cables to behind the front brake line as mine were routed in front of the line. That seemed to take care of the problem

I don't remember if I raised the tank . . . Rod

It is a bit of a tussle . . .

. . . a bit of a challenge to get enough throttle cable slack but . . .

Pull the left neck cover . . .

Again, thank you all. I didn't have to raise the tank; it was a bit of a tussle and a challenge, and I didn't have to pull the neck cover. One thing I did have to do: I had to put the right one on first. I had loosened the left cable tie (on the bar) and couldn't get the right side on after I got the left one on. After a few minutes of grumbling, I tried putting the right side on first, tightening it down finger tight, then raising the bars as high as the dash would allow, and slipping the left side in. Worked like a champ. (No pictures--I didn't want any evidence.)

Now, I've got plenty of clearance between my knees and the brake and clutch levers. So much, in fact, I'll be able to LOWER the bars from max position a bit.

Now, I've received a lot of help on this board and I want to do something that'll make me feel a little better. Since your advice (and a PM) saved me at least $70 bucks at the dealer's, I'm making a small donation in your names to this site. Don't know what that'll do for you--won't even get you a cup of coffee, but what the heck. I'll work out the details with Don, but for me it's the best way to handle this.

Thanks again.