IGNORED

2nd Gen Plugs

Kregerdoodle

I thought you have to remove the gas tank so you can get to the two top bolts on the dog bones (top engine mounts)..:think:

We have a winner!!!

You can't take out the front plugs without the Tank off and the dogbones removed. I'll rewrite that....I dont know any other way to get the plugs out besides the previous statement :)

At what mileage should the plugs be changed? :think:

All depends D

I like to change them out every year, that is more than the mfgr says which I think is about 30K. I like to have the assurace of the bike performing at it's best and the price of a set of plugs and an hour's time is negligeable in my book :confused24:

Try this ,,,

I use a piece of flat bar , 1x 1/4 in about 10 in long , i remove the 2 bolts that hold the tank in the front and loosen the bolt under the seat ,then i remove the tank plastic cover and pry it upwards so to put that piece of flat bar under the tank and leaning on top of the ignition switch ,it gives you enough lift to remove the two dog bones and not having to remove the tank especially when it's full .

Work's fine for me .:thumbsup2:

I changed my plugs a couple of weeks ago. First time on this bike (2006 RSTD). Have done it a few times on my previous Roadstar. The Roadstar is easier/quicker (and needed it more often).

I did go to the Iridium Plugs (Carquest for about $8 each). Gap 32-35.

I did have to remove the tank and seat.

I ended up having to use the tool kit plug wrench because my plug socket would not get deep enough to turn the plug. I did remove the front engine mounts (one at a time for good luck). Use a can of compressed air to blow out any grit or pebbles before you pull the old plug.

Two problems I had:

A) the chrome (plastic) piece around the gas cap has 4 bolts. The nuts can free spin in their rubber grommets. One was a real fight.

B) I was so proud when I looked in my bolt bucket and saw no spare parts left over,,,, until I looked where the tank had sat and saw this big rubber thing (looked like a starwars mock up). What the hell is that??? It was a "rubber baby buggy bumper" thing that keeps the tank from rattling. It stuck to the tank when I pulled it, fell off, and I didn't see it when I picked up the tank to put it back on. So,,, I had to take it all apart again. So, I kind of did this twice!:rotf:

By the way, my old plugs looked fine, 23K. I haven't noticed any gain by going to the Iridium plugs. SO, being a RSTD, it still runs great!!!!

Mike G in SC

Try this ,,,

I use a piece of flat bar , 1x 1/4 in about 10 in long , i remove the 2 bolts that hold the tank in the front and loosen the bolt under the seat ,then i remove the tank plastic cover and pry it upwards so to put that piece of flat bar under the tank and leaning on top of the ignition switch ,it gives you enough lift to remove the two dog bones and not having to remove the tank especially when it's full .

Work's fine for me .:thumbsup2:

I do it in a similar fashion. Besides the weight of the gas I have led lights under the tank and I haven't put a quick release plug on them yet so I would have to take them loose from the tank.

Are these available at any auto parts store ??? Say NAPA ???

Some may argue with me here, but thats fine. I have used the Iridium plugs before and they didn't make a darn bit of difference in my bike. To me it's just a waste of money. I run nothing but the stock NGK's in the bike now and save $28 in the process...Just a few cents worth :)