IGNORED

Roadhound pet carrier?

royalstarjac

• 2 years later...

Have one mounted on top of my Bushtec Trailer since about 2007. Dog hates riding but carrier is beautiful. He can hang head left or right for air or stay out of the wind in the center. Never had any problems with it. It was installed at the Honda Hoot a few years ago and was the hit of the show. Well made. Easy on and off.

• 3 months later...

Curious question, is there anywhere online to get these pet carriers? In my search the company seems to have folded and those carriers seem to have been the best thing to tote my cat around. if not is there anyone here that could machine me a carrier if I came up with a design? Said kitty won't stay home and won't go to a boarder either and needs medical care around the clock....Any ideas?

Everyone has an opinion, so here is mine.

I would never haul a pet in a trailer of any kind behind my bike. Reason being, if you don't think your bike spits out exhaust fumes, close the door on your garage for just 1 minute

A pet hauled behind a bike is caged in for the duration of the ride and yet a dogs nose can smell 20 times stronger / better then any human-being..

So what d o I really mean:

Multiply the 1 minute in your garage by 20 TIMES stronger smell to your test and tell me if and try breathing... YOU would want to be tied up in any type of cage behind any motorcycle..I say NOT.

Ok, I am done, sorry..I will go back to my room now..

Everyone has an opinion, so here is mine.

I would never haul a pet in a trailer of any kind behind my bike. Reason being, if you don't think your bike spits out exhaust fumes, close the door on your garage for just 1 minute

A pet hauled behind a bike is caged in for the duration of the ride and yet a dogs nose can smell 20 times stronger / better then any human-being..

So what d o I really mean:

Multiply the 1 minute in your garage by 20 TIMES stronger smell to your test and tell me if and try breathing... YOU would want to be tied up in any type of cage behind any motorcycle..I say NOT.

Ok, I am done, sorry..I will go back to my room now..

If you seal up the vents no fumes can get in.:big-grin-emoticon:

In all seriousness though, many of us ride in groups and around cages with no ill effects. Why would a dog be any different? It's not like you plumb the thing to the exhaust pipes.

My lab mix is deathly afraid of motorcycles. Hook up her trailer though and she can't wait to get in. Ride 200 miles and let her out and if I don't slam the door quick she's right back in. Apparently she doesn't mind being tied up in a cage behind a motorcycle.

Which one you looking at? Size, etc? I have a small one that'll fit on the luggage rack I'll let go cheap if it fits your needs.

Larry

Their web site seems to be offline...any place I can look at the description of the one you will let go cheap (if royalstarjac doesn't want it that is)?

http://www.road-hound.com/

Anyone had experience with one of these?

Do they have a good mounting system for the RSV?-Jack

I had one of their originals. It was made from aluminum, sheet metal and stainless steel. It was mounted behind the passenger on my Roadliner. I t-boned a 68 Chevelle. My wife went over and me and the dogs stayed with the bike and tumbled a bit. My wife hyper-extended her knee, I broke 2 ribs on the bars, and the carrier took a good beating, but the dogs were fine. I had a Pomeranian and a chihuahua in the medium carrier.

After all was said and done I got one of their new boxes. It was made from injection molded plastic. But the assured me it was just as strong as the original. It wasn't. The bottom started cracking on the first run. I went to call about it, but by then they were out of business. I'm guessing the cheaper materials was the reason they went out of business. It's not like the price was inexpensive either. These things were over $300 for the carrier, not including the mounting brackets. I would think they could have continued making the strong metal ones. My guess is, it was about making more profit.

I would buy a new metal one without hesitation. But not one of their plastic ones.

Their web site seems to be offline...any place I can look at the description of the one you will let go cheap (if royalstarjac doesn't want it that is)?

It's a "T" bag product. Here's a link of what it is. http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=57&SelectedCat=3

Both ends have a mesh screen with zipper covers. There'a also a opening on top. Comes with safety securing straps for the dog.

I've used it but twice and come to the realization our mutt was just a tab to big for it. He loved the ride too.

Larry

Seems I'm back to the original idea of making my own carrier for the kitty. Never thought transporting her would be this much fuss. Around town or to the vet she rides in my bike jacket...calls herself hiding away in it. I get shocked looks from ppl when they see this tiny white cat pop her head out for air, but she's been doing this since she was a kitten, doesn't matter if it is a 100 degree day, she'll get in the jacket, Just don't think we can do that on the bike for long trips....Any ideas?

• 10 months later...
If you seal up the vents no fumes can get in.:big-grin-emoticon:

In all seriousness though, many of us ride in groups and around cages with no ill effects. Why would a dog be any different? It's not like you plumb the thing to the exhaust pipes.

My lab mix is deathly afraid of motorcycles. Hook up her trailer though and she can't wait to get in. Ride 200 miles and let her out and if I don't slam the door quick she's right back in. Apparently she doesn't mind being tied up in a cage behind a motorcycle.

I'm with you here. When my RSV is outside idling, I don't smell anything and my dog sits right next to me

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have one, dog loves it, I love it, but need to sell it. Email me and I will send photos, if your interested, it wasn't cheap ,but defiant top of the line and real safe all ss construction with aluminum cage,attaches to sissy bar, can adjust for 1 or 2 riders plus dog. Never touches your bike, has led lighting for stop and directional included, cage can be removed to carry pet around with you leaving the the ss assembly on the bike locks onto bike and cage has a separate lock for dog door. Company no longer in business .