IGNORED

Stock Grip Replacement

rosebud

NEWTrk wants to replace the stock grips with some new ones that are a little bigger in diameter. If you have replaced your grips he is looking for some reviews of what you replaced your stock grips with, and if you the replacements them or not.

BTW - We're in Oklahoma so he is not looking at heated grips.

Thanks in advance....

I will recommend ones not to get, some may not agree with me but I didn't care for them

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2921

I had these on the '99 and for 1 thing the left side grip broke in 2 between the rubber grips and they always left black residue on my hands when I rode without gloves. I know some love em but they aren't for me :no-no-no:

Rosebud, I bought a set of the Grip Puppies that Tom noted.

These are great. It's slip on foam grips that (with some soapy water) will install in seconds. They just go over the stock grips and add about 1/2" diameter to the stock size. The look like they belong.

(If they are too slippery when installing, use a dish towel or rag to work them on.)

Oh, and cheap too, about 9 bucks delivered. You will need the smaller diameter for a Venture or RSTD, they sell large and small.

When I bought my RSTD in Sept, someone told me about them. They eliminated the numbness I was getting from stock grips buy increasing the diameter. Give them a try, cant go wrong for the price.

Mike G in SC

I second the motion on GRIP PUPPIES, put them on my 07 Venture because I was getting hand cramps, since then no handcramps and way cheaper than ISO Grips from the big K. I learned that if you use the new rubber version of K's throttle rocker that you need to trim the length of the grip puppies because the throttle rocker pushes the grip puppie between the grip and the end cap. Can cause the throttle to say open or not release as fast as it should.

Guest KitCarson

I bought a fancy set of those Kuryakyn grips........looked at them for several days before I finally installed just the one on the throttle side(you have to glue the other side) I did not like them either.......in fact just gave them away to a member on this site. They were too large for my hands for one thing and the other thing I found out is the stock grips with the weights on them have a purpose. Without the weights....you do get more vibration through the grips. The large weight bolts from the factory do have a function.......they prevent vibration through the bars.

I like the foam grips for comfort and price. The "chrome" end caps can be removed and you can use the end weights. I had the Kuryakyn given to me and don't like them as well as the $12 foam set I had, (for comfort) I have to wear gloves to use the Kuryakyn grips; for comfort and cleanliness. Rod

I also have installed the foam slip-on grips. I like them. They needed to be trimmed (shortened), and look like they belong. Be warned, they don't just slip over the grips like the instruction sheet might have you believe. You will need get the inside real wet and soapy, and then work them on. You need to be careful to get just the inside soapy, and not the outside, or you will not be able to have enough grip (friction) to slide the foam grips on. Takes a little patience and perserverance, but well worth it. I am very pleased with mine.

I like the K grips myself. They do take a bit of getting used to. I suppose it's because they're not perfectly round as the pads don't run all the way around the grip, or one finger will set in a gap rather than on a pad, or something. I've never had any trouble with my hands turning black on them. Must be a bit of a product variation on that somehow. I do like the larger diameter of them, and the looks. With a bit of work, they can be used with the stock handlebar weights. My next step will be to put K's long fringe into the ends of the weights somehow. I haven't figured that one out just yet.

I like the K grips myself. They do take a bit of getting used to. I do like the larger diameter of them, and the looks.

I agree with the above, takes some getting used too but I thought it was the larger diameter.

I like the idea that the air can flow over your hands, preventing sweating

Brad

I like the K grips myself. They do take a bit of getting used to. I suppose it's because they're not perfectly round as the pads don't run all the way around the grip, or one finger will set in a gap rather than on a pad, or something. I've never had any trouble with my hands turning black on them. Must be a bit of a product variation on that somehow. I do like the larger diameter of them, and the looks. With a bit of work, they can be used with the stock handlebar weights. My next step will be to put K's long fringe into the ends of the weights somehow. I haven't figured that one out just yet.

DITO except for the fringe thing.

Has Anyone Installed The Grip Pups With Grip Heaters? I Was Thinking About This And Was Wondering If I Could Install The Heaters Without Removing The Stock Grips. I Was Thinking I Could Just Install The Heaters Over The Stock Grips.

That's what I'm running right now. I just put them on this season, so I can't tell you about any long term effects the heaters may have on the foam. I expect no problems, but you never know. The heaters stick well to the stock grips. So well, I doubt you could take them off without destroying the grips.

I've turned them on maybe a dozen times. Low is plenty warm enough for me. We haven't had any really cold weather yet. This mornings ride to work (about 35 miles) was one of the coldest so far at 36 degrees when I left the house... probably 40 by the time I got to work. I've been caught in a chilly (light) rain and used them. Dried my gloves and warmed me up.

I used to have to wear glove liners with these gloves when below about 45. I hated the feel (bulk) of the liners. Not anymore. Should be fine down to at least 30... and that's when I grab the truck keys. Palm of my hands can get too hot, even on low. I have to occasionally open my grip a little to get some air in there. The tops get chilly, but not uncomfortable. The gloves are fur lined and retain some heat all around.

Bottom line, I like them so far. For my kind of riding in south Texas, they do the job.

Well Phil fell in love yesterday - he stopped at the dealer for some nut or bolt from the parts department, and while talking them the parts guy took a pair of Kuryakyn grips out of the package and let Phil play with them. What a mistake, they are now on his birthday list for next month. Before that he was going to pick up the grip puppies.

Yep, you sure can see the leg irons - I've got him chained up and torture him with the motorcycle catalogs.... :mugshot::mugshot::mugshot:

how about taking a picture of phill,just want to know,weather he is around,its ok for you to show the leg irons:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

• 1 month later...