IGNORED

Car Top Carrier?

Iowa Guy

I bought a harbor freight trailer kit. I will be painting it black as the standard red paint just doesn't go with my 2 tone blue 89 VR.

I am curious as to what others have put on top of the trailer. I have looked at the Sears x-cargo 189.99

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02872020000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Automotive+Accessories&sName=Car+Top+%26+Hitch+Carriers

The dimensions look like it would be alright. I checked into painting it to match the bike but wow. The body man said it would be $200 or more. That sort of negates the savings of the HF kit. He also incouraged me to get something in fiberglass.

So, What have others put on top of their HF kits?

Tim Lantz

I built my own and went to Lowes and paid 50.00 for a large heavy plastic tool box that had a locking latch on it. I then bolted it to the trailer that I built. You can buy Krylon paint from Walmart that is made to paint plastics and paint it your self.

Guest Dale A Allio

Tim,

I am thinking of getting a trailer and Ithought about making my own using a kit but i found these trailers on the internet called piggy backer and they are under $1000.00. how much did you have to pay for your HF kit?

dale

We have the harbor frieght trailer and have a car top carrier on it. The hf trailer is like $159 or so. A lot less then the piggy back ones. You can paint the car top carrier as said Lowes sell plastic paint.

The whole set up works great. We've had our trailer now almost four years. It's gone everywhere with us.

Margaret

Tim,

I am thinking of getting a trailer and Ithought about making my own using a kit but i found these trailers on the internet called piggy backer and they are under $1000.00. how much did you have to pay for your HF kit?

dale

$139.99 vs $1000

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42708

Are Piggybackers really that much?

http://piggybacker.stehltow.com/

The xl is 795 plus either 59 if shipped to a commercial address or 109 if shipped to a home address.

I have one (xl) that came with the bike I purchase last spring....I really like it. Thats not to discourage you from going the harbour freight direction...many have and are completely satisfied.

Just having a trailer is sure handy.

Thought I'd post a couple of pics for you guys. I thought it might help to see one done. We have added a piece to the front for the ice chest. It's also for balance or something. Don't quote me though not really sure I didn't do it.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure you can get some of the other guys to post pics of their trailers. Lots of the guys did the hf with some sort of top.

Margaret

Thought I'd post a couple of pics for you guys. I thought it might help to see one done. We have added a piece to the front for the ice chest. It's also for balance or something. Don't quote me though not really sure I didn't do it.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure you can get some of the other guys to post pics of their trailers. Lots of the guys did the hf with some sort of top.

Margaret

Tim, If this type of car top carrier will work for you, I have one just like it for the taking. If you come get it, it is yours.

RR

here is a pic of the one I built. I would like to have a fiberglass carrier but they are expensive. this works great and dollar for dollar I am not sure it is worth it but it works.

Bob

Bob, can you provide more info on how you built your trailer. I am getting ready to build a trailer using teh HF kit and am looking for ideas too.

Margaret

Margaret (or Jeff), what are the dimension of the car top carrier that you have on your trailer. I have been looking at the same one from sears and still trying to decide on the carrier part. Also, how did you fashion and mount the cooler rack. That would be nice to have also.

Bob,

Is that the Sears x-cargo model? Can't tell by the picture.

Iowa Guy

here is a pic of the one I built. I would like to have a fiberglass carrier but they are expensive. this works great and dollar for dollar I am not sure it is worth it but it works.

Bob

Yes that is a sears box. I had to replace it once because some clown in a small dump truck ran into the back sitting at a light. the axle is a torq axle, I think it is 45 degree up angle. I had trouble with the fenders. the first set mounted to the axle itself but would not stay in place. this set are mounted to the box but with the weight they started to crack the plastic. I have sandwiched the plastic with diamond plate in and out and mounted the fenders to it. that took care of the cracking problem. i mounted hydralic closers to keep the top open. the lights are just recessed into the top. the plastic is flimsey and the vibration from the road has already started to crack it around the bolts that hold it on. anyone using this type of box should check that on a regular basis. Ask "crash" I think his fell apart while he was on a trip. I would love to have a hard fiberglass box but you are looking at 400 to 500 for one. by the time you buy everything else you can buy a nice factory made trailer for what you have invested. these do work well for the money and it pulls great and believe me we pack it full when we travel.

Margaret (or Jeff), what are the dimension of the car top carrier that you have on your trailer. I have been looking at the same one from sears and still trying to decide on the carrier part. Also, how did you fashion and mount the cooler rack. That would be nice to have also.

I'll get some pics of the whole thing for you today. I'll open up the car top carrier for the inside view and take off the cooler so you can see some of that. I'll also get some measurements for ya. Hope I can find the tape measure. I'll also ask Jeff when he calls if he knows anything in particular that he remembers.

Margaret

I checked into painting it to match the bike but wow. The body man said it would be $200 or more. That sort of negates the savings of the HF kit. He also incouraged me to get something in fiberglass.

So, What have others put on top of their HF kits?

Tim Lantz

Tim, have you checked to see if Kylon has some FUSION paint that will closely match or compliment your bike? FUSION paint is a paint specifically designed for use on plastic. It is some fantastic stuff!! :happy34: It would save you a bundle.

Personally, I built my own enclosure. Not the prettiest but it fit my design criteria for what I typically carry. I've since painted it completely. :)

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15552

but with the weight they started to crack the plastic.

the plastic is flimsey and the vibration from the road has already started to crack it around the bolts that hold it on. anyone using this type of box should check that on a regular basis.

I would love to have a hard fiberglass box but you are looking at 400 to 500 for one. by the time you buy everything else you can buy a nice factory made trailer for what you have invested.

RJD,

They say that no idea is a stupid idea on this site, so I have to test that therory out here...

Now, Im not a fiberglass expert by no means, but I have a thought I would like to share..maybe its a stupid one, and Im sure a fiberglass expert will jump in and put me in my place here soon...:buttkick:

One thought is:

Would you be able to remove all the mounting hardware from your plastic carrier remove the lid from the base completely, then apply "fiberglass" to the "inside" of the plastic car top carrier bonding it to the inside surface and at the same time, build protective covers out of the fiberglass around the rear side of the tail lights and turn signals.

The fiberglass would require minimum sanding and appearance would really not be an issue since its on the INSIDE...and the fiberglass would strengthen the thin plastic to where it would not crack on you.

and another thought is:

Maybe you could put a "release agent" on the inside of the plastic lid and plastic base, then lay up the whole inside of both parts with fiberglass, and once the fiberglass has set up, you can pop it out and have a fiberglass carrier identical to the plastic one.....paint it and off you go..

I don't know if that would work or not and I don't know if its a practical idea or not. I think if you asked "beer30" he would tell you that having access to the materials in quanity and the experience working with it makes a difference wether its affordable or not. I would like to make a trailer that way but I am not sure I could actually do it successfully.

Bob

Piggy vs. HF/Sears

I was looking for a cheap trailer to do a 7000 mile trip and I looked at building my own and did a lot of research... You can go here to see what's involved with building your own..

http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm

Homemade: You buy a Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Pep Boys, etc. Utility trailer.. $130 - $200 depending on tire size, sales, or whatever other difference in price. Now you should narrow it to slightly larger than the size of your Cargo Box ( 6-18 inches) ... I notice a few here skipped that step.. I guess you can but I know I wouldn't want a 4 foot wide trailer behind my bike.. Now you go out and buy a Cargo Box at Sears, Pep Boys, etc for $90 - $300 depending on size or brand... bolt it together... Me I would want to weld it but that's just me... Throw a chunk of plywood on it.. paint it (unless you like a red frame and different color box and you're off and running.. Now if you're real handy and have some tools and score some really good deals and have you might still be under $300 but probably closer to $400.

Piggybacker: I bought the 8" wheel model for $560 shipped to my job and had to put it together but it comes complete and has some nicer features the Homemade lacks (unless you upgrade it)... 3 Chrome wheels, chrome toungue, cooler rack, welded frame, extra set of wheel bearings and box latches and wiring inside the boxed welded frame.. This is a "Made in China" trailer and is not a top quality trailer but I have not had 1 problem with mine and I've got 12K+ miles on it... I did buy LED lights for it because of the RSVs low stator output and didn't want to be burning extra bulbs.. I would recommend LEDs to anyone building a trailer as well.. PB support is excellent from what I've read... Some buyers had issues with their PB e-mailed or called the Co and got replacement parts no questions asked, no charge..

Good luck with whatever you decide.. to me it was a No-Brainer.

25 cu. ft.

Built in spare tire holder, Built in Full size cooler holder, swivel hitch, Chrome rims, Including the spare, Chrome top rail, & Led light all the way around, and Hitch stand

$1703.00, Plus $300.00 shipping to South Florida.

I painted the top to match the 2007 Venture.

at 78 MPH, you have to look back to make sure its there.............

they come plain jane.

Last year we put alittle over 7000. miles on it.

I have not seen anyone else with this trailer, anywhere, I've been in the pasted two years.

The wife adds, 5 suitcases, the full cooler, tool box, big first aid kit, Oh, then my stuff, a 4x4 table & 2 chairs, Lets see, did I miss anything?:confused24: