IGNORED

Different Morgan Carbtune?

Bartley

After reading all the reviews on the Morgan carbtune, I went ahead and ordered one. It seems that Morgan replaced the carbtune II with the carbtune pro, which supposedly is better. Since all the info. on this site re carb synching is based on using the carbtune II, I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a difference between these two models.:think: Thanks.

Sean Morgan of Morgan Carbtune donated the new model for a door prize at The 3rd Annual Tail of the Dragon, last August. I dont know much about the difference in the old and the new, but if you check with Skid, maybe he can tell you, since he was the lucky guy that won it.

Thanks again to Sean for all their support of this great group........

After reading all the reviews on the Morgan carbtune, I went ahead and ordered one. It seems that Morgan replaced the carbtune II with the carbtune pro, which supposedly is better. Since all the info. on this site re carb synching is based on using the carbtune II, I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a difference between these two models.:think: Thanks.

Guest KitCarson

I have the new Carb-Tune, it is very nice. The only thing is the case that comes with it (actually that is extra) is not large enough to be lazy and leave the hoses hooked to the unit....so you do have to take the hoses off and roll them up and store then in a separate part of the case......not a big deal, but did make me wonder who designed that case.

Guest Dareman

I am thinking about getting a carbtune kitg but...........

When I was talking to a Yamaha mech at a dealership last week he told me that the only thing a carb synch will do do is make the Venture idle better and has nothing to do with improving mileage.

Is this fact or fiction?

Curious minds just has to know!

Guest KitCarson

When I was talking to a Yamaha mech at a dealership last week he told me that the only thing a carb synch will do do is make the Venture idle better and has nothing to do with improving mileage.

Is this fact or fiction?

The average bike unless you have played with the carbs, or been doing work on them.......usually from the dealers standpoint, does not go out of sync much.....not enough that a little out versus a perfect tune will even be noticed by the average rider. They do go out of sync by cables stretching some.....adjustment screws tend to with time vibrate and turn just a bit........but if you do have carbs truly out of sync.......yes they do rob your fuel mileage, give you poor throttle response, many factors enter into that..........so a properly tuned set of carbs, does give you better mileage, better throttle response, better idle, all that. Dealers sometimes just do not know......and it depends upon whom you talk to at the dealer, the mechanic or the salesperson.......and sometimes as a bike that has not had carb work done on it is not out of sync much usually......I wonder when you take it in...what do they do???

Certainly....properly tuned carbs, idle better.....give you better throttle response and better fuel mileage........I tune my carbs each oil change...takes about 15 minutes. Well maybe 30.....sometimes have to find the carbtune!!

I do not want to start a dealer war.......but..........I am not real trusting of dealers......thought I had found a good one when I was going through my clutch basket deal......but they also gave me the run around. I figure if you take a bike into a dealer with an appointment, that a full service should take a couple of hours. Change the oil, change the rear drive oil,sync the carbs, and another hour if you want the valves checked. Maybe change the plugs........I have taken bikes in and not 30 minutes later there it is at the front door.....Mr. Carson your bike is ready!........I now do all my own work on my bike........if I was to take one in , and I will sometimes for a rear tire.......I will put a scratch in the oil filter......put a piece of clear tape on the fill plugs........put some tape on the spark plug socket.....know what, I have caught them in the act..........that is the reason for my statement above......I wonder what they really do..........I know for a fact unless you sit there and watch them, and you are getting a new rear tire......they will not properly check and lube things........so it is best to learn, and do it yourself.......now with a rear tire......I will take it off.....properly lube what needs to be and have the shop put the new tire on and balance it.....that is as much as I ever let them do......I myself will put the tire back on and properly torque things.......dealers come up with some real nonsense...they sure do.

Is this fact or fiction?

Dareman get a Carbtune the mechanic at your dealership is an Idiot sincing tuning the carbs helps the bike run properly at all rpm ranges and get better gas milage.Besides that even a second gen will run faster with properly sinced carbs.

Jeff

The difference between the carb tune 2 and pro is that the pro has brass nipples instead of the plastic ones the 2 has there is an upgrade kit for the 2 at a cost of around $20 last time I looked.

Jeff

Guest Dareman

Thanks for all the information!

I will order one online this week.

Is there anyplace in the U.S you can get one or is the UK the only game in town where the Carbtune can be ordered?

Al Tomlinson

Bisbee, AZ

Guest Dareman

The bike is a 2006 RSV Midnight.

I bought it from a dealership Oct 1, 2007 it had 5500 miles on it. It now has 6715.

I did a whole lot of research on the Yamaha Venture before I bought the bike, reading dozens and dozens of reviews. I found only one negative comment......The reviewer (also owner) did not like the "chirp".

All other reviews were HIGHLY favorable.

All the mileage reports were 42-46 MPG depending on how you rode.

I monitored the mileage on this bike and was averaging 32 MPG.

I found this site (venturerider.org) and did more reading and asking questions.

When I found the thread concerning the Carb issues and the Carbtune I called the mechanic at the dealership and the service records were pulled on the bike, it had the 500 mile service done and the 4,000 mile service done but the carbs were never synchronized.

I asked the mech if they could do a carb synch since I did not have a Carbtune kit and that is when I was told a synch would improve idle but little else.

From everything I have been reading on this website I will be doing most of my own maintenance once I get the necessary tools and equipment.

Thanks for all the information!

I will order one online this week.

Is there anyplace in the U.S you can get one or is the UK the only game in town where the Carbtune can be ordered?

Al Tomlinson

Bisbee, AZ

Not sure where in the US you would find one. But if you order on line you will not be dissapointed. Can not remember how long it took but it was fast and I ordered just before Christmas.

Brad

For you guys and gals that live close enough to me, heck, you can live far away. Just ride on over and I will sync your carbs for free.

My Christmas present to all you brothers and sisters. And you can waite till spring. Don't want nobody freezing to death and "slip sliding away" on a snow covered road.

:cool10:

Guest KitCarson

I am not at all surprised that the carbs were not checked as the manual states at the first service. That is one carb sync that is just about absolutely required. The bike is new......new cables.....it is wearing in....so very important to check the carbs at the first service..........yes I know most dealers do not........just like I saw someone on this site state he was taking his bike in for the service and was trusting the dealer to check all the torques on the wheel nuts and important fasteners.......ha, ha,ha,ha:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:if anyone thinks a dealer does this, if you plan to hold your breath, I will send you a scuba tank!!

The Carb tune is a Canada product I think........I have two of them, and I think that is where they came from. Even the Carb Tune Pro the last one I purchased has the little plastic orfice restrictors........there is an brass upgrade available........but with the Venture.....you do not need them, just hunt up the instruction on this site about carb tune.......just slip the hoses over the existing nipples on the venture........Freebird has a good one on carb tunes on this site.........follow that one........do it once.....you will be a pro. It is a simple task.

• 3 months later...

The Carb tune is a Canada product I think........I have two of them, and I think that is where they came from. Even the Carb Tune Pro the last one I purchased has the little plastic orfice restrictors........there is an brass upgrade available........but with the Venture.....you do not need them, just hunt up the instruction on this site about carb tune.......just slip the hoses over the existing nipples on the venture........Freebird has a good one on carb tunes on this site.........follow that one........do it once.....you will be a pro. It is a simple task.

Carbtunes are from the UK. Wearing in of cables on a new bike etc. shouldn't effect the sync. All the sync does is get all carbs to work in unison by adjusting the linkage. When I ordered mine online I received it in 10 days....:thumbsup2:

My '87 stayed in sync for over 7 months of daily rides since I last adjusted them. My '07 with just under 6K total now, also driven periodically over the same time period falls off sync every 1-2 months so far. I have a Carbtune so I can take care of it. Just keep wondering when things will settle in. The adjusting screws are reasonably tensioned. In fact it is running rough again this week. Time to adjust them again.

- Mike

I would recommend synching multi-carb bikes AT LEAST every 6 months. Most of the owners of the bikes I work on don't listen and come back to me once a year. And the carbs almost always are out of sync. Do the math!!!!

And yes, spend the darn money and time to do it yourself. You'll soon become very proficient at it and will find it's a snap.

Some of the kids working at the dealerships know less than you do about your motorcycle, trust me.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered one this morning from the factory. It might take a couple of days longer from Europe than from Calif. but it worked out to be about $10 less. Maybe not a lot of money, but I look at as approx 2 1/2 gallons of gas.

• 9 years later...
I would recommend synching multi-carb bikes AT LEAST every 6 months. Most of the owners of the bikes I work on don't listen and come back to me once a year. And the carbs almost always are out of sync. Do the math!!!!

And yes, spend the darn money and time to do it yourself. You'll soon become very proficient at it and will find it's a snap.

Some of the kids working at the dealerships know less than you do about your motorcycle, trust me.

I know this is an old thread but I would like to know what driver or tool everyone uses to reach the pilot screws and the linkage screws for the syncing???

Me too, I bought the longest flat blade screwdriver that Craftsman sells, just wish it had a light at the end of it, cause it is dark in there sometimes.

If I still had my Venture, I would fit a flat LED to the drivers shaft, something like this, https://www.oznium.com/12v-motorcycle-led-light-bulbs.

I put one of those in my cup holder and they give out a lot of light, see.

IMG_0679%20RESIZED.jpg

I don't know why you folks are using a flat blade screwdriver. I don't remember for sure about the first gen but the question is from a guy with a second gen and it though you can use a flat blade, you can also use a phillips head. The phillips head works much better as it is easier to keep it where you want it.

I'm talking about the sync screws. Don't remember for sure about the mixture screws but they should not normally be touched anyway.

So, I use a long slender phillips head and it works perfectly.