IGNORED

What bikes have you owned?

Orrin

This should be good for some winter chat. What bikes have you owned and what did you like or dislike about them? Where did you ride it? How about some pic's and storys to go with your replys.

This subject has been discussed before, but is still a very welcome subject, since we have so many new members..

Enjoy...Here is where it was discussed before:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7027

This subject has been discussed before, but is still a very welcome subject, since we have so many new members..

Enjoy...Here is where it was discussed before:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7027

had close to 60 bikes but my favorites were my 750 honda , v-max, rstd,gs 1100 suzuki , and 500 kaw 3 cyl. bill:)

Oh my gosh,, do you really want to do this??? Are you sure you want to go here?? Here is sneak peak at my life.. I VIVIDLY remember drawing choppers when I was in Kindergarten. I started riding in 1963 on a 59 Sears Allstate Moped - I still have the frame to the old girl.. Between 63 and 73 (when I graduated High School) I had owned over 15 bikes. I worked VERY hard for my machines and purchase all of them with my own money except the Allstate - my dad spit that $50 purchase with me - it took a whole summer of paper route money to pay my half. Through the years I have raced trials, motocross, harescrambles, tt, cross country, hare and hound, poker runs, ice bikes, drag race, hill climbs and wheelie contests.. In 1973 I purchased the first brand new Honda CR250M and cleaned house with it.. I bought another brand new on in 74. I still have the worn out 73.. Also during that year I upgraded my street bikes to a XS650 Yam and I also bought a brand new Yam 250 Trials bike and owned a 250 Enduro too... I have owned Harleys, Maicos, Huskys, bought a new VOR MX400 with a gear driven top end and a cassette tranny in 2000 - I was 45 at the time - the bike was $10,000. Last year I rode my 83 Venture out to Sturgis.. On the way out, my riding buddie and I just made it into a resturant in Murdo SD - 2 minutes before closing.. Just as we sat down a brother walked in with a shirt that said "Harley Davidson - I got mine in Iraq".. As he sat down I told Chip (riding buddy) that the dude wasnt gonna get serven and he didnt.. He shook his head in disbelief as the waitress told him she couldnt serve him..

As the guy started to walk past my table I stopped him and inquired about his shirt.. He proceeded to tell me that he had gotten home from 19 MONTHS in Iraq 2 weeks ago and his family had delivered his brand new Heritage to him on base.. He followed them home to Pennsivania in a long convoy and got the heros welcome he deserved - he is a Major in the Rangers.. As he was telling me all this the waitress came with our dinners and I told her to give him mine.. He said I cant do that.. I said "yes you can and you will cause I aint gonna eat it!!!! I am NOT going to sit here and eat dinner in front of one of my brothers that just got home from Iraq NO WAY!!! As he ate my dinner we talked for a long time.. Then I invited him to ride with the two of us.. I explained how we traveled - ride till tired and sleep behind a barn, in a field, under a tree, in a cemetery what ever.. He said it sounded like just what he needed.. He followed me (this was my riding buddies second trip with me and his second trip ever on a bike so I was leading the whole trip) out across the prairie and we finally landed about 1 am in a Ghost Town out in the middle of no where.. During that trip the three of us rode sturgis, the black hills, down SPearfish Canyon and CROSS COUNTRY on two tracks into Wyoming and up to Devils Towers.. Anyway,, we became best friends on that trip and Ranger Major Smith from Pennsylvania and I are now the absoulute best of friends....

There,, there is a story.. you want more?? I dont have time and neither do you..

Current bikes,, if you look carefully there is a 1969 Factory Bultaco hill bike in here, there is a 84 Honda Magna, 71 Yamaha XS650 Hardtail chop, 69 Honda Mini Trail, 68 Honda Mini Trail, 71 Honda CT70, 72 Rupp Roadster, 69 Scat Cat, 84 Honda CR60, 81 Honda PC50, 70 CT70H (4 speed), 66 Honda CB77 305 Superhawk, 72 Suzy TC185 HI/Low e start, 1966 Yellow Honda CT90 that I ride daily as a moped (16 dollar sticker for 3 years - no insurance reguired and no helmet necessary).. Thats just one barn and part of the garage - I have 4 other outbuildings hahaha.. Total count of my collection right now is just over 130 bikes..

Its a disease but a gooooood one..........

'Puc

Oh yea,, here is a pic of the three of us riding cross country out on the backside of the Badland National Park - out in Indian Country in the middle of nowhere - 105 degrees and eatin up the highway!!! Dont get no better then this folks!!!!!!!! This is 6 days into a trip with no shower - ok,, went swimming in that river that flows through Chamberlain but that only counts as a bath,, not a shower....

OK,, looks like my files are to big.. Someone say they are interested in seeing pics and I will go thru the hassle of downsizing them,, otherwise forget it hahahaha

1950 Cushman

1951 Cushman Eagle

Triumph Trophy 250

Harley 350 Sprint

Honda 160

Honda 305

Honda 350

Honda 450

Honda 750F

Yamaha 350 Twin

Kawasaki 400

Kawasaki 900 Z1B

HD 883 (times 3)

FXRS Special 1987

Honda Interstate 1100

Honda Aspencade

Most likely forgot a few and not enough time to remember.

But the best have been Yamaha Venture Royales. Currently have

an 88.

We've actually hit this a couple of times before. I remembered responding to this question once (twice including pre-crash) but didn't see it on the other thread that was referenced. Found it here though if you want to see more responses in addition to what we get on this one:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1485&highlight=waterbuffalo

:happy34:

1979 Xl 185 Honda

1974 Honda 400 H

1979 Honda CB 750 K/Trailer

1982 Yamaha 250 (snow riding)polar bear rides

1982 Honda CBX

1984 Honda aspencade 1200/Trailer

stopped riding in 1992

then started back up in 2006

2004 Yamaha Roadstar 1700 (left over) /Trailer

2007 Yamaha Star Venture/Trailer

In order of purchace

1968 Yamaha mini enduro 60

1972 Yamaha AT 125 enduro

1976 Yamaha XS650

1970 Kawasaki Mach III 500

1982 Yamaha 750 Seca

1976 Honda CB400F

1985 Honda XR250

1987 KTM 250 EXC

1988 Kawasaki Ninja 750

1999 Husqvarna CR125

2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S 750

2003 KTM 250SX

2007 Yamaha RSV

Still own the last three on the list.

86 Honda Rebel 450 (Taught our daughters to ride on this bike. Tough looking fun to ride bike)

06 Suzuki M50 800cc

06 Suzuki C50T 800 cc (1st touring bike - still have this one. My daughter rides it now.)

07 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600 (1st heavy bike. This is the one I missed the turn at the dragon's tail... bitten but not beaten! Very nice bike!)

08 Yamaha RSV (1st REAL touring bike. Doesn't have the stretched out feel like the Nomad but it's growing on me more each day. Guys at work say it looks like a mini GW, they call it "an old man bike" which is fine by me. Everyone says it looks comfortable, like you'd fall asleep in the saddle, thus the name "RELAXIN". Lovin it more with each ride!)

Reminiscing, OK back in 1974 one year out of high school a friend and I traveled to the southwest on our 72, 750 Kawasaki's the months of July. Rode to Carlsbad Caverns,Gila Indian ruins,had a flat tire there, fixed the tube and bought a new tire in Snowflake, Arizona. Went to Petrified Forest,White Sands,Painted Desert,Grand Canyon[south and North sides],Zion Canyon,Bryce Canyon,Bonniville Salt Flats,Grand Tetons,Yellowstone,Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park,Mt. Rushmore,Badlands. Maybe not in the right order [getting old] but what a ride! My friend kept the stats on the trip.

Mine His

Total Miles 6411 6566

Total Gallons Gas 163.4 136.0

Mileage [MPG] 39.2 48.2

Total Cost $104 $80

Avg Cost/Gal. $.613

Total Qts 2 Stroke oil 22 [11 each]

Total Qts Trans oil 8 [4 each]

Gas $104

Oil $14

Food $74

Motels and campsites $38

Same bikes but mine was fresh bored with larger mains so my expenses were a little higher. We slept in a chain-linked 30 foot by 30 foot barbed wired on the top area in the Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park one night. Never thought about why there was barbed wire at the top until later. There were alot of bears back then especially in Yellowstone. Four years ago took the wife to Yellowstone didn't see any [Fire sure ruined that park]. Sat at a red light somewhere in Texas, it was hot, looked at my tach it was at 0, I could hear every cylinder fire one at a time. That was unique! Slept at State parks, Nat'l Parks, Campgrounds and occasional motels. Paid a speeding ticket in Colorado, State Cop earned his pay though took him 30 miles of twisties before he finally caught up.LOL He was judge, jury and executioner all in one [boy was he mad]! Made me address the letter to the judge, put in my fine and watched me mail it. LOL Got home from the trip about a month later and received a letter from the State of Colorado telling me to not come back!LOL WOW like I said that cop was P---ed. Took a dirt road somewhere in Texas fell down twice because of lose sand washouts [barely moving].Climbed a boulder top mountain in the Bighorn Mts. somewhere in Wyoming[had to get down thunderstorm was coming] Like I said what a ride! The bike I still have, its in my pic gallery. My friends bike went to rust and neglect. A few years ago he wanted me to take it to the scrap yard on my truck. Needless to say that didn't happen it now resides in one of my barns. Ah, yes the good old days!

mraf, that was a heck of an adventure. Thanks for sharing. Man, I'm jealous that you still have your old bike. I wish I would have done that.

Here's mine.......

1976 Husqvarna 250. I rode the heck out of that bike and crashed it too many times! Mine wasn't this nice. :)

http://buzznet-57.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/resto3_l--large-msg-119768346949.jpg

1978 Suzuki GS 1000 I painted mine black and added a Vetter Fairing. It was really fast back in the day.

http://buzznet-36.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/1978_GS1000E_blue-side_450--large-msg-119768347091.jpg

2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100. Made a mistake buying this bike. Way too small for me.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2218/1581182650_d311dcb9b5.jpg

2007 Yamaha Midnight Venture. Now were talking!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2128/1779527030_4d1dd0816a.jpg

Guest tone100

1984 Honda XR80 (wasn't mine but I learned to ride on it)

1987 Honda XL250R

1987 Honda Rebel 250

1987 Kawasaki KX125

1987 Kawasaki KE100

1981 Yamaha Special II 400

1996 Honda VTX600

2002 Honda Sabre 1100

2007 Tour Deluxe

Well it all started for me back when I was 10 years old.

1977 Kawasaki KD 100

1984 Virago 400

1985 Suzuki GS 550

1987 KLR 250 (rode the mountains of BC with this)

2000 Suzuki DR 650 with the proper tires you can go anywhere on this

1993 Suzuki Intruder 800 Very pretty bike but ergonomically too small for me

1988 Ninja 750 fast and fun but hard on the knees

1986 Venture....only rode it home when purchased, waiting for next spring now.....:bawling:Damn winter....

had close to 60 bikes but my favorites were my 750 honda , v-max, rstd,gs 1100 suzuki , and 500 kaw 3 cyl. bill:)
was kind of in a hurry when i wrote this first post so i needed to finish it up i think my new v-ster 1300 is going to edge out all my other bikes as my favorite.now that it's decked out for touring it just seems to do everything exactly right.also kind of like my zx-14 alot but it's kind of a toy i am playing with for my last custom bike build so it has a way to go to get on the favorite list.i really loved all my bikes while i had them .they all were a special part of my life along the way.my worst bike was a beautiful harley sporster dragbike style stroker i bought in the seventies.got screwed when i bought it .sunk a ton of money i did'nt have in it ,and darn near had to give it away. other than that i never met a bike i did'nt like.bill :2133:

1970 Moto - Ski Minin bike

1972 Suzuki 750 Water Buffalo ( scared the crap out of me. fassssttt0

1993 Yamaha Virago 1100

2003 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture:sign isnt that spec:canada:

:7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::sign woo hoo:

hey joopster, i was at a poker run this summer and a guy and his wife were there on a waterbuffalo.it looked like brand new.my buddy had a brand new one in the seventies.i really liked it.i raced him all the time with one of my cb750 hondas.those were some fun times.bill :2133:

1966 Yamaha Twin Jet 100 (the one that started it all)

1968 Kawasaki 175

1969 Honda 750

1970 HD 350 Sprint

1972 Honda 750

1975 Suzuki 500 Titan

Some bikeless years

1989 Honda 600 TransAlp

1990 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan

1993 Honda Helix

1996 Harley 1200 Sporty

1996 Triumph 900 Trident

1998 Harley FLTRI Road Glide

2000 Kawasaki KLR 650

2002 Yamaha V-Star 650

2006 Suzuki S-40

The wife also drives and has an extensive list from 1992 - her present 2005 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan.

We're motorcyclists for the duration. Hope to eventually meet all or most of you on the roads ahead.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Safe riding to all.

Guest KitCarson

I have noticed a trend in each post......everyone started out with a smaller bike and as we grow older and have more money graduate to a big nice one like the RSV. My father would never allow me to have a street bike, he was very wise!!! I would have killed myself. He did allow me to race for Yamaha on the track, with full protection and under greater safety conditions......but my first bike was a old beat up, dented...scratched 1966 Police Harley, that we got at an farm auction. It did not even have a kickstand, just lean it up against a tree!! We had a large farm and I rode it everywhere........in the dirt, in the mud....in the fields........went hunting and tied deer on the back to bring then home.........I think that tremendously helped me to handle a bike today.......that old bike is still most likely sitting in the old barn.

1973 Kawasaki 250 Enduro (street and dirt riding)

1975 Honda CB 750 (great bike but not fast enough)

1978 Kawasaki 900 (bike got stolen, yesterdays rocket)

Got Marry and had kids

1997 Honda Goldwing 1500se (back into bikes after a 20 year break)

2005 Yamaha RSV (best bike I have ever owned, great tourer)

I realize this has been done before, but what the heck I've told the same story more than once. I remember my dad saying,"you're not gonna give me that crap again!". So, thanks for being good folks and sharing one more time, and hope you enjoy remembering.

My brothers and I had a super 90 Honda back in the mid 60's that we road all over the farm and on the street. Wet grass, dirt, cow crap, didn't make any difference. Then didn't have a bike until April 2006...sure missed alot.

2004 Volusia Great bike to get started back into motorcycles again. Bought it at an auction in Portage, WI and climbed on and road it home. Damn near killed myself, but made it. Took all back roads and went slow. Then, figured I should take the MSF course!

Next on the list a friend gave me a 1975 CB750 cause he didn't want his kids on it. They are not too trust worthy and would have killed themselves. Bike didn't run, but that was OK. I fixed it up and sold it.

In July of 2006 I bought an 06 Nomad and sold the Volusia for what I paid for it after putting 3,000 miles on it. Sure liked that Nomad, felt more secure on that than I did the Volusia.

In the fall of 06 I bought at auction a 95 Virago 1100 that didn't run. Paid $800 for and put 2 new plugs in it and it fired up and ran perfectly. Sold it for $3,100 in May of 2007. Then my brother sold me his 1995 Heritage softail classic. I sure like the sound of that bike and love the looks of it.

In mid May of 2007 I stopped by the Harley dealer (great folks) in Sauk City, WI and saw a 2005 RSTD that they had sitting around. Allen told me to take it for a ride and I did. I had to slap myself half a dozen times to get the grin off my face before we got back to the dealership. My buddy said I was gonna buy that bike, and I said "hell Yes", but I don't want Allen to know it. Well he kept at me for 3 days (Allen) and finally he said he didn't think I was a player. I told him to "make me an offer I couldn"t refuse". He did and I took it. You should have seen the look on his face when I pulled my title out of my pocket. We did the deal on the spot.

I have put 10,000 miles on the RSTD this last season until I went down on Oct 5th. Bike is not damaged too bad and I have all of the parts now to fix it. Just waiting for my should to heal so I can work on it.

Putted around on a friends homemade bike as a kid...nothing serious that caused me to get into biking though.

In Germany my girlfriend had a Honda 360....thats the beast that started everything. If you can imagine I rode on the back of that little thing everywhere! Got the bug.... we had a ball.

Came back to Canada in 81 and got me a 750 honda custom. Nice bike but one ride to half way across Canada near killed me!

Saw a new top of the line gadget filled 83 Venture Royale at bike show.

Drove Honda back to Vancouver....straight to the Yammi dealer...gave them my Honda and drove away with the 83 VR!

Loved that thing although I did replace many brakepads and one stator that burned out in the desert of Nevada!

Got hurt in a non-bike accident and doc told me I couldnt ride no more!

Sold VR for a car in 85. Its still driving around town here!

Life happened and didnt get back into biking until 2004...bought Boo's 89 VR....great bike and I still have it.

Now...this spring I stumbled across an unbelievable deal on a 05 RSV with trailer.

Flew to Atlanta after getting screwed by shippers and driving the thing home myself.

Ventureriders had already relayed the trailer all the way to Minneapolis...thanks again guys!

Now going back to see Boo...he has my new to me camper sitting and taking up room in his yard!

Thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Marilyn started with dirt bikes on the farm.

Very shortly after getting my 89 she decided she didnt like riding behind me and we got her a 84 Virago 1000. This was a good learning bike for her. I decided she needed something more solid under her butt and last year we went to Minneapolis to pick up her 03 1100 Vstar. She loves that thing and rides pretty good too!

1st bike.........1969 Honda SL90

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0090/sl90/sl90.jpg

2nd bike.........1971 Honda CL350

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Honda%20Bikes/images/Honda-CL350-1971.jpg

3rd bike.......1973 Honda CB350F

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Honda%20Bikes/images/Honda-CB350F-73%281%29.jpg

4th bike..........1972 Kawasaki Z1

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_9610_01z+1972_kawasaki_903_z1+side_view.jpg

5th bike........1980 Kawasaki KZ750LTD

http://www.motorcycleminnesota.com/pre010101/80kz750/image1.jpg

6th bike............1981 Yamaha 550 Maximvbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3498&d=1197737957

7th bike............1983 Yamaha Seca 750 Touring Editionvbpgimage.php?do=full&p=412&d=1155983002

8th bike............1983 Yamanha Venture XVZ12 (still own)vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=409&d=1155982664

9th bike............2007 Yamanha VStar 1300T (current ride)

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3015&d=1188659614

Note: the first 5 pics are file photos, none of my pictures survived all the years that passed, but the rest are actual pics of bikes I have or currently own.

There were others that I bought and refurbished and resold to finance the purchase of the bikes that I wanted to own and ride, so I did not include those, they number in excess of 20 bikes either rebuilt or parted out.