IGNORED

Morgan Carb Tune

Guest JGorom

Guest JGorom

For the past few weeks my RSTD has been running a bit rough...I was getting a bit more vibration in my grips and floorboards...a few more backfires (I already plugged my AIS)...and so I ordered the Morgan Carbtune.

Well it arrived last Friday...but alas...I fell off a ladder at home Saturday morning and have been crawling into work and around the house ever since. Well today on the way home from work I decided enough is enough.

After I got home I got the Carbtune out...hooked it up...synched carbs 1 & 2, then 3 & 4, then 2 & 3 and guess what? Now it runs like a champ! The increased vibrations are gone...no more backfire...and she screams when I punch the throttle in overdrive once again.

What a great tool...I highly recommend this to anyone with a Venture or RSTD...it truly is a piece of cake to do once you know where the three screws are and the number order of the carbs.

The first two synchs (carb 1 to 2) and (carb 3 to 4) are adjusted with a phillips head screw driver from the right side of the bike (right side when when you are in the saddle). The last synch screw is a flat head screw that is accessed from the left side of the bike and is up to the right of the choke pull button on the left. I am sure someone will post pictures of these screws and this will help.

The screw to synch carbs 1 and 2 is accessed on the right side of the bike but it is all the way on the left side of the bike...you have to go through the "V" to get to it...and it underneath the choke button on the left hand side...again...you can only get to this screw from the right hand side of the bike. Here I used a 20" Phillips #2 and had no trouble reaching it and then reading the carbtune gauge (which was attached to my right handlebar).

The screw for the next synch (carb 3 and 4) is also on the right side of the bike and is found a little up above and to the right of the spring for the carbs. Here, believe it or not, I also used the long phillips screwdriver but my hands were on the metal shaft of the driver and not on the handle of the screwdriver. Again...had no problem finding, adjusting, or viewing the carbtune gauge.

Finally...the last synch is betweed carbs 2 & 3...and that screw is accessed from the left hand side of the bike and is found above and to the right of the actual choke button. Here you need a flat head screwdriver.

I already knew my idle was good...so I just jumped into the synching proceedure. When I took the bike out for a test run after she cooled down and I reattached everything...I simply could not believe the difference. What a tool...after 2 to 3 tuneups...I would have to say the tool will pay for itself.

Later...

• 2 months later...

Roadhand,

Some guys have backfire problems with their bikes after they replace the stock pipes with aftermarket. Some of them can cure it simply by syncing the carbs others have to plug the AIS Air Induction System.

I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing if adjusting my carbs for higher altitude doesn't fix the problem. Or, I may just go back to the stock pipes.

Here's a link to the "How to" article in the Tech Library:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=485