IGNORED

Removing Those ^&($#@! Tank Stickers

V7Goose

I really struggled to get the residual stick-um off the tank when I took the stickers off my 05. Some people say Goo Gone works, but didn't do nuthin for me. I also tried acetone, paint thinner, lighter fluid, WD-40, alcohol, etc. etc., and NONE of it really seemed to help much. Some softened the goo to make it a little easier to scrape, but still left a lot of residue. Took me a long time and a lot of hard scrubbing with a rag to eventually get it all off. I dreaded this chore on my 07, but I found a perfect solution!

Goof Off (any hardware store) will eat at the plastic sticker and soften the stick-um, making it pretty easy to scrape the sticker off with a thumbnail, but the leftover stick-um will still be hard to wipe completely off.

I found a spray can of stuff from MG Chemicals at Fry's Electronics called Label & Adhesive Remover that takes the glue off just as easy as wiping up jelly with a wet sponge! Didn't seem to do much on the sticker, so I made it a two step process - Goof Off first to scrape the sticker, then a quick spray on the leftover goo and a wipe with a rag and done. Sooooo much easier than the fight I had with my first RSV, and no waiting around for the stuff to eventually get soft - almost instant gratification. The whole job couldn't have taken more that a couple of minutes. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Sooooo much easier than the fight I had with my first RSV, and no waiting around for the stuff to eventually get soft - almost instant gratification. The whole job couldn't have taken more that a couple of minutes. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

It's called chemical warfare!!!!

Sorry Squidley, I don't have a clue as to what you are taking about!

""The eyebrows on the front fairing are even worse to get off""

The tank stickers on my 05 came off with the hair dryer in three min.

The chrome eyebrows that I am talking about are on the upper front fairing at a 45 degree angle from the headlight.

I used a commercial heat gun and Goo Be Gone to remove the tank emblems, tank gas warning sticker and the Yamaha emblem on the trunk lid. It took about an hour to remove all these and the left over residue, what there was of it. Be careful with this type heat gun because it can get very hot. I put my hand next to the area I want to heat up and judge the temperature using me hand. If I want to move my hand then it’s hot enough. The 3M double sided tape used to attach the emblems just came loose after about 2 minutes of applied heat. The left over tape residue just came off with Goo Be Gone, no rubbing required. The secret with using Goo Be Gone is to cover the area with a clean rag, soak the rag with Goo Be Gone, let it sit for about 5 minutes and then use the wet rag to clean the area. After use a wet rag with a bit of soap, rinse it off, apply some wax and your good to go. At least that’s how I did mine. Ohh forgot that the hour was interrupted by 2 beers.

You can remove tank stickers using a heat gun and/or "3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner" (GPAC), p/n 08984, available at most auto body supply stores. I use this to remove body adhesive backed mouldings. If you soak a rag with this stuff and let it sit on the decal for a few minutes, you can remove it easily with you finger nails or a plastic bondo paddle or by rubing the decal with the GPAC. It may take several applications. After you've wiped off the remaining glue, follow up with you favorite wax, glaze, or detailer. The whole operation takes about 10-15 minutes.

Simple! I've done lot's of tanks for my friends and have not marred any yet. They come out great and the tank looks better without those ugly CAUTION labels.