IGNORED

Utah - Winter's on the way

petekadish

Hey Guys & Gals!

First thing . . . I love this forum! All of you are awesome! However, during the warm weather I am typically either out riding or puttering around outside during my free time, rather than sitting in front of my computer. Yesterday, we reached a record high (for this time of the year), it was 69 degrees. So, I took advantage of the nice day and got all of the remaining leaves raked up, mowed the lawn and trimed the edges and I'm now prepared for the snow and winter weather which is supposed to arrive tonight. he highs are supposed to be in the 40s today! Of course, I will still do a little riding over the next few months now and then (I've got my Gerbing jacket liner & gloves this year), but for the most part my bike will be seeing a lot of garage time from now until spring. The good part, is that I will be able to visit with everyone here more.

During these next several cold months, I would like to be able to tinker in my garage a bit making upgrades to the bike, etc. But, typically my garage is too cold to spend much time in during the winter. So, I have been thinking about a propane heater. I have an old Kerosene space heater, but it doesn't quite do the job well enough. At Autozone (an autoparts store here) I saw that they had a propane torpedo-style heater which looked like it might work all right.

My garage is an attached, two-car size with a few insulated windows and a regular-sze back door. It's not insulated but can be mostly draft-free and would be considered pretty well ventilated. Ideally, it would be nice to have a full-size industrial garage heater, but I'm not quite up to that point yet. So, I'm looking for a a smaller alternative. I have also tried a couple of smaller space heaters like a dish-style and a box-type, but I found that they didn't work as well in a garage as the do inside the house.

I don't want to spend a lot (I know that's relative sorry), but I would like to find out what my choices might be. Has anyone found something which works well for them and can offer some suggestions?

Have a Happy & Safe Thanksgiving!

Pete.

Guest KitCarson

Hey I can put my laptop in the bike.....even hook it to my cell phone.......talk to anyone anywhere...........

For your heater.......those slamanders.......or torpedoes you are speaking of will make your eyes burn from the fumes.

Go to Lowe's and purchase an Dyna-GLo Kerosene space heater. Model RMC-95-C4. This unit is about 20 inches round and two feet high.......cost is gee.......I forget.........$100 dollars plus or minus.........holds two gallons of fuel.....will run most of the day on that........and does not produce all the fumes and smell the construction style heaters do. This is a convection style heater......not a burn and blow like the others, and safe....has a heat guard around it.....in case the grandkids want to come see you while you sit in your garage and admire your bike while it snows!!

We have a torpedo heater we use out in the shed (actually it's three sheds put together) and leave the door open. It heats it up real nice in there even with the door open. Jeff uses that in the cold weather when he's working on stuff.

Oh we have autozone out here too.

Margaret

Guest KitCarson
Kit, I tried to find info about these but can't. do you have anything on the specs..who makes them, etc?

Hey I checked the one I have sitting in the garage.......The brand name on it is Dyna-Glo, it is a 23,000 btu model.......I have a three car garage.......live in south carolina so do not use it much........but at 12 degrees it will heat a three car garage nicely.......and not have any fumes. I purchased it a Lowes Home Center........couple years ago.......think it was less than $100 dollars. A lot of folks use them in this area for their major heat in the winter. Electric to heat a home or Mobile home that is popular here can run $400 dollars a month or more.........so a lot of people use these things. Hope this puts you on the right track.........Dyna-Glo Brand, 23,000 btu, sure they make smaller and bigger, this is just a common size for this area. Kit

Hey Rick.....went to http://www.lowes.com and type in kerosene heaters........it shows up........says 139 dollars........might be less in store, this is their web site.......but hey was couple years ago......things keep going up....

Hey Rick.....went to www.lowes.com and type in kerosene heaters........it shows up........says 139 dollars........might be less in store, this is their web site.......but hey was couple years ago......things keep going up....

yeh... I looked there and saw that already..thanks. Got to find one up here or get one off eBay coz I'd like to have one. Other question I had was do you need to have either fresh air source or ventilation? Thinking about carbon minoxide or lack of oxygen issues if used inside an enclosed space such as a single car garage.

Guest KitCarson
yeh... I looked there and saw that already..thanks. Got to find one up here or get one off eBay coz I'd like to have one. Other question I had was do you need to have either fresh air source or ventilation? Thinking about carbon minoxide or lack of oxygen issues if used inside an enclosed space such as a single car garage.
That is a multiple answer question. Used in the garage while working out there, or in a home that is not of super tight modern construction, you will be fine, I run service calls all over the place and folks use these things to heat their homes. Bear in mind these are mostly country homes, older homes, not in town, or apartments, stuff like this. No you do not need ventilation for common sense use with this kind of appliance.............now going to fire it up.........put it in the house, and go to sleep........No I would not do that, you may not wake up. Also just to ease your mind......the current building code that addresses non-vented fireplaces, gas logs and or non-vented space heaters is now allowed up to 40,000 btu"s, with the exception of a bathroom space which is only allowed a non-vented space heater of up to 6000 btu. Just to be safe........use it when you are working in the garage, or heat the house, while awake........turn it off at night. Kit

Anyone even thinking about using a non-vented heater in a confined space should invest in a CO (carbon monoxide) alarm available at any home center. They only cost around $40.00 now. Very cheap insurance. Should have one in your house also.

Anyone even thinking about using a non-vented heater in a confined space should invest in a CO (carbon monoxide) alarm available at any home center. They only cost around $40.00 now. Very cheap insurance. Should have one in your house also.

Good advice, but don't get suckered into one of those combo Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors! Smoke rises, CO sinks. Smoke detector needs to be up high, Co detector needs to be close to the floor. One unit can't do both!

That is a multiple answer question. Used in the garage while working out there, or in a home that is not of super tight modern construction, you will be fine, I run service calls all over the place and folks use these things to heat their homes. Bear in mind these are mostly country homes, older homes, not in town, or apartments, stuff like this. No you do not need ventilation for common sense use with this kind of appliance.............now going to fire it up.........put it in the house, and go to sleep........No I would not do that, you may not wake up. Also just to ease your mind......the current building code that addresses non-vented fireplaces, gas logs and or non-vented space heaters is now allowed up to 40,000 btu"s, with the exception of a bathroom space which is only allowed a non-vented space heater of up to 6000 btu. Just to be safe........use it when you are working in the garage, or heat the house, while awake........turn it off at night. Kit

common sense... all good info... my garage door is not sealed and has a bit of a gap at the bottom coz the thing is not straight with the floor. The back door fits like a circle in a square so there's fresh air available from both ends. Wouldn't be this way if it were my house but we're "renters" ...

I gave away two of those upright kerosene heaters a few years ago and bought a 170000 BTU Ready heater.. I kept getting headaches from the fumes/loss of oxygen from the uprights and they just couldnt keep up with having a door or window open in the garage during the winter time. The torpedo heater I now us is one of the multifuel models - I burn Kerosene thru it - open a garage door and place the bottom of the door just over the top of the blower body on the heater sothe heater is pulling in fresh air to burn.. I use a thermostat on the plug for the unit to control it - it takes under 10 minutes of run time for the Heater to warm my 24x30 uninsulated garage from 0 degrees to 60 degrees and then it shuts off.. It will kick on about every 45 minutes or less if I close the garage door... I have used this heater like this for years now and I work all winter everday in my garage building bikes.. NEVER a burning eyes or headaches anymore... Having the unit on a thermostat also save LOTS of cash on fuel and its VERY easy to do!

Whatever you get, I STRONGLY encourage you to maintain fresh air in as long as your using a non vented unit.. we just had a death up here about 200 yards from my propery from a deer hunter getting put to sleep by a ventless.. It just aint worth getting killed over...

'Puc

Guest KitCarson
Good advice, but don't get suckered into one of those combo Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors! Smoke rises, CO sinks. Smoke detector needs to be up high, Co detector needs to be close to the floor. One unit can't do both!

Yep.......I have in the past hooked hose to the backhoe exhaust and welded a gas line, with gas in the line..........CO is heavier than air, and displaces all the oxegen..........I get tickled at some product on the market too, kinda wish I had invented them.......I could be like Bill Gates!!