IGNORED

I had a feeling

Venturous Randy

she was not going to stop.

After spending several hours moving millions of leaves to the side of the road for leaf pickup, I decided to take a little ride and enjoy the mid 60's degree day. About three miles from the house I was on a nice back road going about 40mph and as I came to a slight rise in the road that has a road coming out from my right just over the top of the hill, I noticed the top half of a car coming toward the intersection. I immediately slowed down and just as I crested the hill, the car blew thru the stop sign and turned toward me. I layed down on the air horns and let them blast. If I had not anticipated the car doing that, I would have hit it right in the driver's door. I think I startled the woman as she almost ran into the ditch on the other side of the road trying to get out of my way.

I am real glad I was paying that close attention, because she sure was not.

RandyA

congratulations, randy! today was NOT your day, to go!

i catch myself watching EVERYONE on , or NEAR the road, when i am driving!

a cage wreck, isn't any more pleasant , than a bike wreck!

just jt

albeit much more survivable!

congratulations, randy! today was NOT your day, to go!

i catch myself watching EVERYONE on , or NEAR the road, when i am driving!

a cage wreck, isn't any more pleasant , than a bike wreck!

just jt

Am kinda' thinking that would depend on whether you were in the cage or on the bike.

Good thread,, it brings up an issue that I have decided to implement into my riding experience.. I have been riding now for almost 50 years and have experienced the situation that Randy brought up many times.. Having gotten tired of having this happen and down right MAD because of the loss of several very close friends, I have chosen to do more..

For the last few years I have been chasing down criminals who offend in this matter.. I always follow until the party stops, sometimes I have to come up to their window and tell them thier car has a major problem to get them to stop.. Once stopped I get real close to their face so I can smell booze - if they have been drinking I take thier keys and then call the cops. If not, they get the biker lecture about the huge responsibilty they are shrugging by not watching where they are going..

I have had people break down and cry and appologize for their actions.. Done properly (not in a bad attitude kind of way) it seems to work.. It sure makes me feel like I am doing something to fight this modern day phenomonon...

Not saying its for everyone but it works for me! !

'Puc

Guest KitCarson
Good thread,, it brings up an issue that I have decided to implement into my riding experience.. I have been riding now for almost 50 years and have experienced the situation that Randy brought up many times.. Having gotten tired of having this happen and down right MAD because of the loss of several very close friends, I have chosen to do more..

For the last few years I have been chasing down criminals who offend in this matter.. I always follow until the party stops, sometimes I have to come up to their window and tell them thier car has a major problem to get them to stop.. Once stopped I get real close to their face so I can smell booze - if they have been drinking I take thier keys and then call the cops. If not, they get the biker lecture about the huge responsibilty they are shrugging by not watching where they are going..

I have had people break down and cry and appologize for their actions.. Done properly (not in a bad attitude kind of way) it seems to work.. It sure makes me feel like I am doing something to fight this modern day phenomonon...

Not saying its for everyone but it works for me! !

'Puc

Hey.......should I say this......think I will.......I myself carry a concealed weapon 24/7. I work downtown Columbia South Carolina in the middle of gangs sometimes. I have years of training with all kinds of weapons. I am a responsible person.......sometimes!!! People now days....you just do not know.......I applaud everyone for thinking about defensive riding.......and I am not one to always turn the other cheek either....but stuff like that is just plain dumb!! Someone might shoot you.......kids in the car........I just had to say that...Dont get too mad at me...I had a little red sports car do that yesterday......yes I was watching for it.....I just slow down......let it happen......think not one bit about it and continue to enjoy the day....it was a nice one too. Kit

Since moving to Del Rio Texas I am convinced that Mexican drivers do not have to take a drivers test to get a license, if they even have a license in the first place. I know they probable don’t have insurance nor do they have to get their vehicles inspected to insure they are safe in the first place. I have drivers blowing through stop signs and red lights all the time and to be fare they are not all from Mexico. I watch all intersections for approaching vehicles and if I se one I slow down or if I know I can get through the intersection before the approaching vehicle I will speed up. Don’t trust any cager. Glade to hear you made the right decision and your still in one piece.

Thanks for posting that, Randy. A real good lesson on defensive driving, and the need to pay attention at all times and ANTICIPATE bad situations. What you did comes from years of experience.

By the way, I agree 100% with what KitCarson said. BAD idea, Cowpuc. Your one man crusade is NOT going to change anything, and it might get you seriously hurt someday. It's just not worth it. Control your emotions, forget about it, keep going, enjoy the day.

I try my best to not take the dumb actions of others on the road personally and let it affect my emotions and therefore affect how I ride. Stay calm and in control. I try to react to dumb drivers, emotionally, the same way I would react to a tree falling in the road in front of me. It's just another danger to try to anticipate and avoid. No anger, no revenge, no "teaching a lesson", no thought of "how dare you do that to ME?" If you are angry or emotionally upset, you are not riding at your best, not keeping your mind on your riding, and the situation around you.

About six weeks ago I got a speeding ticket in my wife's Maxima and I had a choice of either paying $95 for the ticket or $100 and taking a four hour defensive driving course and the ticket not going on my record. Given the last ticket I got was about seven years ago and the one before that about thirty seven years ago, this ticket probably would have not hurt my insurance, but I chose to take the course.

One of the things that was highly stressed was that when you encounter a crazy, rude or stupid driver was to just get away from them. If you felt the driver was impaired or driving aggressive, use your cell phone and call the cops. There are just too many crazy people out there that feel invincible when in their vehicle and you NEVER know what they may do.

In this case I was on the bike and I went from about 40mph to less than 20mph as I crested the hill. I could see the top half of her car and I never did see her turn her head to her left. If I had been in a cage and not anticipated this, I would have hit her at about 40mph in the door and could have killed her.

I believe that riding a bike has helped me be more aware of those around me, even when I am in the cage. In this case, I do believe I scared the crap out of her and I hope the next time she comes to that intersection she will stop and look before she turns in front of someone.

RandyA