Just did the first oil change on a 87 Venture Royale that I bought this summer.

I put the new filter on and in the process of cleaning up the oil drain pan afterward, found a compression spring on the bottom. Duh! No mention of the spring in the user manual or the service manual but I did find it in the parts manual that is posted elsewhere on this site.

The oil filter cover is tight and doesn't leak after starting and runup, so my question is will the absence of the spring in the filter cover impede the flow of the oil through the bypasss valve assembly? Being somewhat lazy, if I don't have to drain the oil and start all over, I'm just as inclined to wait until the next oil change. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ron

I did the same thing with my first oil change. Did the whole thing, cleaned it all up and then found the d*mn spring!

I drained it out and re-did it, not wanting to take the chance. But if you want to give it a try without the spring, let me know how it works! I'm always more willing to experiment using someone else's bike.:)

Being somewhat lazy, if I don't have to drain the oil and start all over, I'm just as inclined to wait until the next oil change. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ron

You should put it in, between the closed end of the housing & the filter. There is no need to drain all the oil, just pull the filter housing, with a catch container below (as you will lose some oil). Remove the filter, put in the spring & then the filter back in. Re-install the filter housing, top up the oil.

I bought my VR with about 40k on the clock and didn't realize the spring (which must have been left off by a dealer!) was missing until I hit about 75k! I ordered one and put it in at the next oil change. No point rushing into these things! :rotf:

But yeah, you'll only lose the oil in the filter, so go for it.

Guest KitCarson

Hey all you are forgetting something quite important, do not forget to take the factory shipping plug out of the filter bypass. Kit

...and don't forget that flat washer between the filter and the spring.

:whistling:

The first time I changed the oil on scoot#1, I didn't know what the 'H' I was doing, and thought I'd heard something fall into a very big trash bin when tossing the old filter. Dug around a bit, and never could find anything, so went ahead and replaced the filter using just the spring against the rubber gromet. I later found out that there was a washer, and yep that's what I'd heard. The next time around I replaced the washer, although I didn't see any damage by not having it in there.

Hey all you are forgetting something quite important, do not forget to take the factory shipping plug out of the filter bypass. Kit

Factory shipping plug??? Never seen such a thing...can you elaborate?

The next time around I replaced the washer, although I didn't see any damage by not having it in there.

If you don't put the washer in, the spring will chew up the rubber seal on the filter and eventually push itself inside of the filter. This will cause some oil to bypass the filter. I'm thinking the purpose of the spring is to keep the filter in a "set" position, in line with the holes in the bolt as unless I'm mistaken, the oil is fed through that bolt to the inside of the filter, pushed through the filter and back into the engine. Without the spring, one or more of the holes might be on the outside of the filter seal, causing some of the oil to bypass the filter. Correct me if I'm wrong coz that's just how I see it working.

If you don't put the washer in, the spring will chew up the rubber seal on the filter and eventually push itself inside of the filter. This will cause some oil to bypass the filter.

Like I stated, I didn't see any evidence of that happening although that's what I would have thought too. I think the lack of damage was attributed to the finished end of the spring and lack of any movement by the filter. The washer it still and good thing..... :happy34:

Guest KitCarson
Factory shipping plug??? Never seen such a thing...can you elaborate?

If you don't put the washer in, the spring will chew up the rubber seal on the filter and eventually push itself inside of the filter. This will cause some oil to bypass the filter. I'm thinking the purpose of the spring is to keep the filter in a "set" position, in line with the holes in the bolt as unless I'm mistaken, the oil is fed through that bolt to the inside of the filter, pushed through the filter and back into the engine. Without the spring, one or more of the holes might be on the outside of the filter seal, causing some of the oil to bypass the filter. Correct me if I'm wrong coz that's just how I see it working.

HI Rick........I was just messing with everyone, I was wondering how many would jump on this one and go with it!! There is no shipping plug in the oil filter by-pass. 'All oil filters are engineered with a by pass built into them, as a safety feature in case the filter does become clogged.............I was just trying to pull someones leg:sign20::sign20::stirthepot::stirthepot::rotf:Kit

HI Rick........I was just messing with everyone, I was wondering how many would jump on this one and go with it!! There is no shipping plug in the oil filter by-pass. 'All oil filters are engineered with a by pass built into them, as a safety feature in case the filter does become clogged.............I was just trying to pull someones leg:sign20::sign20::stirthepot::stirthepot::rotf:Kit

ya $hit!.. well as i'm the only one that said anything...ya GOT ME!

Having said that, and based on what you say above (by pass built in), I decided to go take a look at my new filter and by golly! you're right! I never noticed it before but just inside the filter, looking from the left side, you can see a little "line" in the shape of a circle on the 4th element fold. It's sorta perforated. I did some research into this and discovered that, if the filter becomes plugged, the oil pressure will force the perforations to tear, thus blowing a hole in the side of that element fold and allowing the oil to pass thru.

KEWL!

That's why you should get the spin on converter. So much better IMO. No hassle, remove throw and replace. No cover, no spring...no OOPS!

you know.... I have been riding since forever...had numerous bikes... all very similar oil filter replacement...by now, it ain't no hassle for me...maybe for other folks.

Just replaced the factory setup with a Rivco spin-on adaptor and use a top of the line Fram 3614; about $2.50 or so at Wallyworld. What an improvement. Only takes 20 seconds to change the filter and for much less. No more stip oil filter bolts or time spent looking for that damn spring. I've been on these Ventures since 83, thats 24 years and wish I had added this feature long ago.

Thanks for all the anecdotes and experiences with dropped washers and missing springs. Now I don't feel quite as bad.

But I got over my sluggard ways and went back out and took the plate off so that I could put the spring back in. Up here in the North country, it was getting time to put the bikes to bed for the winter and I figured if the spring was in its rightful place, I wouldn't have to worry about remembering where I put the dang thing for safekeeping over the winter.

Got a two hour run in yesterday and a hour today and the bikes are now safely stowed till next spring. And come this Christmas, maybe Santa might just drop one of those Rivco spin-on adapters under my tree.

Happy biking to those of you who still have warmer weather.

Ron

"...I never noticed it before but just inside the filter, looking from the left side, you can see a little "line" in the shape of a circle on the 4th element fold. It's sorta perforated. I did some research into this and discovered that, if the filter becomes plugged, the oil pressure will force the perforations to tear, thus blowing a hole in the side of that element fold and allowing the oil to pass thru."

Huh? Engines routinely hit the bypass on the oil filter. Apparently that's sufficient filtering, and making the filter so it wouldn't require regular use of the bypass would require it to be too big. My favorite motor machinst told me that an average Chevy 350 with standard size filter goes on bypass around 2300 rpm when fully warm; much earlier when cold. I think the center bolt on our bikes has the bypass inside, a spring-loaded device.

What's that Rivco unit cost? Does it fasten on with the center bolt the way the standard filter cap does?

Jeremy

"...I never noticed it before but just inside the filter, looking from the left side, you can see a little "line" in the shape of a circle on the 4th element fold. It's sorta perforated. I did some research into this and discovered that, if the filter becomes plugged, the oil pressure will force the perforations to tear, thus blowing a hole in the side of that element fold and allowing the oil to pass thru."

Huh? Engines routinely hit the bypass on the oil filter. Apparently that's sufficient filtering, and making the filter so it wouldn't require regular use of the bypass would require it to be too big. My favorite motor machinst told me that an average Chevy 350 with standard size filter goes on bypass around 2300 rpm when fully warm; much earlier when cold. I think the center bolt on our bikes has the bypass inside, a spring-loaded device.

What's that Rivco unit cost? Does it fasten on with the center bolt the way the standard filter cap does?

Jeremy

hehe... Jeremy... my little statement at the top of this was nuthin but pure B/S .... a comeback at Kit LOL ... a "hook" to see if I'd get any "fish"

:rotf::rotf:

Guest KitCarson
hehe... Jeremy... my little statement at the top of this was nuthin but pure B/S .... a comeback at Kit LOL ... a "hook" to see if I'd get any "fish"

:rotf::rotf:

You caught one:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot::sign20: Ha......Kit

Guest Ken8143
"...What's that Rivco unit cost? Does it fasten on with the center bolt the way the standard filter cap does?

Jeremy

I think I paid around $70 for mine. There is a circular plate with a treaded hollow bolt that holds the plate on and the filter screws on to the bolt in the center. - just like a regular spin on attachment.