IGNORED

Starter problem on my 1990 Venture

Guest mdhasson

Guest mdhasson

When I push on the start button of my 1990 Yamaha Venture I usually

hear "click" and nothing else. Most of the time the engine will start after

I push the start button two or three times.

Do you have any idea of what the problem may be? (The battery seems

good.) Thanks. Maurice.

When I push on the start button of my 1990 Yamaha Venture I usually

hear "click" and nothing else. Most of the time the engine will start after

I push the start button two or three times.

Do you have any idea of what the problem may be? (The battery seems

good.) Thanks. Maurice.

If your battery checks out OK, check the lead from the relay and from the ground for corrosion. Sounds like you either have a bad batt or corroded contacts, and not getting enough amps to turn the starter over. Now if this is happening when it's hot... not uncommon on the 1stGens... you may want to replace the cables with a heavier guage. Squidley used to make them, but I believe it's been taken over by onther one of our members???

If battery is good, and battery cable, contacts are clean, ( double check the stud ( for the battery cable ) at the starter, and the ground cable at Rt. Fwd Corner of the engine , pull it out and clean it.

Then check the Two large nuts that connect Bat cables to the Start Solinoid ( located just to Left of battery ). They might be loose.

Also, open the main 40 amp fuse and check the two small #1 phillips head screws, that hold the fuse element in place.

Also, give your Start Switch, a bath with CRC 2-26 contact cleaner.

If you can't find anything else, put a volt meter on the output side of the Start Solinoid, When it clicks, make sure you get 12 volts to the output side.

IF no 12V, then, remove the large cable that comes from the battery, Hook an OHM meter across the two large studs, hit the the start button, and read the Resistance across the Inner Main Contacts. It should read Zero Ohms. IF not, you most likley need a new Start Solinoid.

Check the Service, Manual, page 7-11, see the block diagram of the starting circuit, and read the text on that page which explaines in detail all the components that are involved in the Starting circuit.

Its not just one switch sending 12 V to the start solinoid, lots more is involved.

Hope this helps,