IGNORED

Pros and Cons riding into Mexico

James Ardrey

My brother is planning a trip to Guadalahara Mexico on his motorcycle. I've heard horror stories of motorcyclists getting their bikes stolen or taken away, mugged and any number of other consequences from riding across the border. I just wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys with firsthand knowledge or a safe way to travel in Mexico on a motorcycle in particular.

I was with a group about 8 years ago. We all made it back but never again. Dogs were barking one nite, looked out the window and 2 kids about 13 or 14 had a Harley on 2 skateboards pushing in down the road. It is not an enjoyable trip. It is like you have to worry about all the small stuff the entire trip.

I wouldn't chance it. The border towns are rediculous these days. Americans are being kidnapped and worse. A Mexican family that works in our organization recently attempted a trip to visit their mother in Mexico. They were hit from behind; when the father stopped to see if his young son and college student daughter were okay they were attacked. The car and ALL belongings were stolen and the daughter was raped repeatedly and the son was forced to watch. No thanks! I don't want any part of it.

the best, safest and cheapest way to visit mexico, is on the discovery channel!

never go to mexico, if you don't speak the language, and travel in a LARGE group!

corruption starts at the highest levels of govt. and cascades downward!!!

ride a bike in mexico?

not in this lifetime!!!!!

just jt

Well...I've traveled alone in Mexico a lot. I never really liked it but it was part of my job. The only time I ever had any trouble was late one night in Mexico City. I was walking from the airport to the hotel which is actually connected to the airport by an elevated crosswalk but I didn't go that way. I ran across a young man who decided that he would like to have some of my money. I told him that I would prefer to keep my money and it would be better for him to just run along. After a brief stare down, he agreed with me and that was the end of it. I was lucky though. It could have turned out much differently.

Spent a week in Cancun, a week in Peurto Vallarta, and drove down to Bahia de Los Angeles in Baja for a couple of days . Even camped on the beach at Arroyo Grande. Never a problem. Was stopped by Federales on the way back from L.A. Bay without incident. Was stopped at an Army check point in El Rosario on the way down and inspected on the way back. Never an inkling of any danger. Had a great time. The people are super friendly. My 2¢

I was talking about that very subject this past weekend with a couple of friends, one is a BATF agent and the other a Border Patrol agent, both of whom live and work in south Texas (ie: the border area near Harlingen and Brownsville). They said things are bad all along the border and farther into the interior, too...they advised against travelling anywhere into Mexico these days. As they pointed out...why do you think so many Mexicans are risking their lives to get to the United States any way they can?

I have a Guatamalen friend who had a brand new vehicle wanted to drive to his home country through Mexico. He didnt get the Mexican insurance and deep inside Mexico the Police stole his vehicle at gunpoint. He still had to make payments on the vehicle since american insurance would not cover it in Mexico. Many of those Central and South American countries are very corrupt one of my friends who has to travel abroad frequently has to pay for armed security in many of those countries because of kidnapping and ransom concerns. He especially hates going to the Middle East. He doesnt really like to leave the US anymore. I wouldnt go without a gun but they would never let you in the country with one.

Guest kozman01

My advice, don't make the trip. Two main reasons. First, as a law enforcement officer here in the states, we're aware of the tactics employed by Mexican police. They are no better than your common thug but have enormous power and carry a gun. Second, I wouldn't spend a red-cent in that God forsaken country. Their President just keeps encouraging wave after wave of the unemployed and criminal element to enter our country illegally. Just my two cents but if you go, avoid the police at all costs. The thugs will just take your stuff. The police will take your stuff and throw you in the lock-up. No thanks.

While stuff does happen south of the boarder I have never had a problem in Baja. I have 2 good (American)friends who live in Baja and go down to visit them on occasion. I prefer to go in a group but have gone solo. Some times it looks like there are more Americans living down there than Mexicans. I always get their Insurance but have never used it. Tecate for tacos is a regular run for us and the biggest hassle is coming back across the boarder. I can't get thru Tijuana fast enough the boarder towns really suck. Bad things do happen but not very common in Baja. Rod :080402gudl_prv:

My brother is planning a trip to Guadalahara Mexico on his motorcycle. I've heard horror stories of motorcyclists getting their bikes stolen or taken away, mugged and any number of other consequences from riding across the border. I just wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys with firsthand knowledge or a safe way to travel in Mexico on a motorcycle in particular.

If he insists on going...try advice from

http://www.advrider.com/forums/

As someone who has visited Mexico several times and had the privilege to look down the barrel of a Federalies pistol on one time and spending 4 days in a 6X8 jail with 4 other guys the next time, I wouldn't recommend it.

They can and will make up stuff to have you arrested. The time I got face to face with the pistol was because a merchant was accusing an American tourist of stealing a briefcase when I saw him walk into the market carrying it. When the "Police" were trying to arrest the American I tried to inform them that he did not steal it only to be told to mind my own business or I would be right beside him in the jail all the while looking down the barrel of a pistol. I went to the consulate and told them and they didn't seem to concerned. They said it happens all the time and would get to it when they had a chance. Not very reassuring to say the least.

BTW both incidents were in separate border towns.

The only way to really visit Mexico is to fly well past the border deep into Mexico where they are set up better for tourists. I wouldn't recommend driving anything except a tank into Mexico.

She has a great adventure posted...I would love to do a trip like that. Looks like she traveled through baja then took a ferry to Mazatlan. I've been to Mazatlan and Purto Vallarta both places have as many Americans living there as Mexicans. Most of the Mexican people speak English. Also noticed she traveled with friends.

I want to repeat Baja is not the same as boarder towns; and to put some of the horror stories in perspective I would rather go to Santa Rosa than South East San Diego even with a gun in the US. Other parts of Mexico are worse but in the worst of Mexico vs worst of L.A. or San Diego I will pick Baja. Rod

I have some friends that take a motorhome into Mexico down the main land side of the Baja every winter.

They have some horror stories but it seems if you stick with other Americans you are not to bad. I would not cross the border on a bet. I have been down there and I don't like it.

I also lived in Kenitra Morocco for a couple of years, another not very friendly place but I thinks it's better then Mexico.

Good Luck,

Jerry

I wouldn't! I have been to Mexico plenty of times but always in a locked car. Have you ever rented a bike in the US - they very explicitly tell you that you can't travel to Mexico and for good reason. Then there is the heaven forbid having an accident and then trying to communicate, negotiate, etc. Again I wouldn't.

James,

I met a guy this last weekend at the BMW (sport touring) meeting I was at in Eureka Springs. Some local Tulsa guys know these folks who were from PA. They traveled Central America for a month. He had lots of tips...just got back. Send me an email if interested and I will forward and get their contact information and you can have a conversation with him and his wife.

There are some key things to avoid and he had a list. He did love it though and wants to go back. He took his wing but is buying a BMW GS to go next time. Mostly border stuff -- don't stop anywhere near border towns and stay in groups, avoid one of the states in revolution at the moment, among others.

Mike

Thanks again guys for all your input. This site is awesome. I already related yesterdays responses to my brother and I think he is now convinced that it would be a bad idea to cross the border without a batalion of Marines. I will also relate the adventure e-mail address and Mike I will discuss with him the possibility of talking to the Pa guys. I'll e-mail you if he is interested. Thanks again guys!!!:clap2:

If you really want to ride in Mexico, I would sign up with a Commercial Tour Ride, useing Rented bikes, and stay with the Group.

( there is safty in numbers, as they say )

In the long run the Cost would probably be less, and safty factor much higher. And the bike provided, would be much more suited to the road conditions down there.