Ask Dog the bounty hunter.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Ardrey View Post
    My brother is planning a trip to Guadalahara Mexico on his motorcycle. I've heard horror stories of motorcyclists getting their bikes stolen or taken away, mugged and any number of other consequences from riding across the border. I just wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys with firsthand knowledge or a safe way to travel in Mexico on a motorcycle in particular.
    As someone who has visited Mexico several times and had the privilege to look down the barrel of a Federalies pistol on one time and spending 4 days in a 6X8 jail with 4 other guys the next time, I wouldn't recommend it.

They can and will make up stuff to have you arrested. The time I got face to face with the pistol was because a merchant was accusing an American tourist of stealing a briefcase when I saw him walk into the market carrying it. When the "Police" were trying to arrest the American I tried to inform them that he did not steal it only to be told to mind my own business or I would be right beside him in the jail all the while looking down the barrel of a pistol. I went to the consulate and told them and they didn't seem to concerned. They said it happens all the time and would get to it when they had a chance. Not very reassuring to say the least.

BTW both incidents were in separate border towns.

The only way to really visit Mexico is to fly well past the border deep into Mexico where they are set up better for tourists. I wouldn't recommend driving anything except a tank into Mexico.

hank Guest

You all sound old and paranoid.

Read this Gal's account of Mexico.

http://www.dantesdame.com/05mexico.htm

By the way, I met her at the Black Hill Sport-Touring rally in 03.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She has a great adventure posted...I would love to do a trip like that. Looks like she traveled through baja then took a ferry to Mazatlan. I've been to Mazatlan and Purto Vallarta both places have as many Americans living there as Mexicans. Most of the Mexican people speak English. Also noticed she traveled with friends.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to repeat Baja is not the same as boarder towns; and to put some of the horror stories in perspective I would rather go to Santa Rosa than South East San Diego even with a gun in the US. Other parts of Mexico are worse but in the worst of Mexico vs worst of L.A. or San Diego I will pick Baja. Rod

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some friends that take a motorhome into Mexico down the main land side of the Baja every winter.

They have some horror stories but it seems if you stick with other Americans you are not to bad. I would not cross the border on a bet. I have been down there and I don't like it.

I also lived in Kenitra Morocco for a couple of years, another not very friendly place but I thinks it's better then Mexico.

Good Luck,

Jerry

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mexico trip

I wouldn't! I have been to Mexico plenty of times but always in a locked car. Have you ever rented a bike in the US - they very explicitly tell you that you can't travel to Mexico and for good reason. Then there is the heaven forbid having an accident and then trying to communicate, negotiate, etc. Again I wouldn't.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James,

I met a guy this last weekend at the BMW (sport touring) meeting I was at in Eureka Springs. Some local Tulsa guys know these folks who were from PA. They traveled Central America for a month. He had lots of tips...just got back. Send me an email if interested and I will forward and get their contact information and you can have a conversation with him and his wife.

There are some key things to avoid and he had a list. He did love it though and wants to go back. He took his wing but is buying a BMW GS to go next time. Mostly border stuff -- don't stop anywhere near border towns and stay in groups, avoid one of the states in revolution at the moment, among others.

Mike

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again guys for all your input. This site is awesome. I already related yesterdays responses to my brother and I think he is now convinced that it would be a bad idea to cross the border without a batalion of Marines. I will also relate the adventure e-mail address and Mike I will discuss with him the possibility of talking to the Pa guys. I'll e-mail you if he is interested. Thanks again guys!!!

United States
    WA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My 2 cents worth

If you really want to ride in Mexico, I would sign up with a Commercial Tour Ride, useing Rented bikes, and stay with the Group.
    ( there is safty in numbers, as they say )

In the long run the Cost would probably be less, and safty factor much higher. And the bike provided, would be much more suited to the road conditions down there.

Mexico
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Re: Pros and Cons riding into Mexico

[QUOTE=James Ardrey;131402]My brother is planning a trip to Guadalahara Mexico on his motorcycle.

Let me put it this way,, I have lived in Mexico for 16 years and have never experienced any the horror stories others are reporting. I would travel in a group if possible and only during daylight hours. I have traveled to about 14 or 15 of the Mexican states by car, boat and motorcycle. If you want to contact me directly please do and I will do my best to give you accurate and honest information including route information.

Mike
    San Carlos, Sonora

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pros and Cons riding into Mexico

We went there last year and it was okay. You just have to be fully prepared of anything. Most of us who went there are mixed and that might also be the reason why no one bothered us. I'm half black, half filipino and I somehow look mexican.

Texas
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Ardrey View Post
    My brother is planning a trip to Guadalahara Mexico on his motorcycle. I've heard horror stories of motorcyclists getting their bikes stolen or taken away, mugged and any number of other consequences from riding across the border. I just wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys with firsthand knowledge or a safe way to travel in Mexico on a motorcycle in particular.
    As of 9-14-2020

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mexico.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	119643

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I'm not too keen on the idea of driving into Mexico, but I would like to see it.
    My niece, Tabi has been splitting her time between San Miguel, Mexico and Central Ohio for 15 years now. A couple of times a year she's been driving there and back on her own. She says she doesn't stop in Mexico until she's a few hours from the border. She also says the police are corrupt, but it's really not a big deal...If you get a speeding ticket, you pay them directly instead of the government....cost is about the same and is negotiable.
    She's 5'4 and of a gentle nature, so I guess if she can do it, others can too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tabi.jpg  

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, a 13 year old thread was revived. I don't know how many of you follow this guy but he rode his tiny Honda through Mexico on his way south from Alaska. You may want to watch. He has lots of videos about his travels on his Honda C90.
    https://c90adventures.co.uk/alaska-t...mexico-part-1/
    2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12