Thread: Pros and Cons riding into Mexico

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pros and Cons riding into Mexico

My brother is planning a trip to Guadalahara Mexico on his motorcycle. I've heard horror stories of motorcyclists getting their bikes stolen or taken away, mugged and any number of other consequences from riding across the border. I just wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys with firsthand knowledge or a safe way to travel in Mexico on a motorcycle in particular.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell him to have all his affairs in order before he goes.
    Gitrdone

3. Likes WRIDR liked this post
    United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say it but I sort of agree. I've been to Guadalajara many times on business but never on a motorcycle. I would actually consider it one of the nicer places to go in Mexico and safer than most but I'm still not fond of traveling south of the border.

5. Likes WRIDR liked this post
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure - do not go by yourself!!! The border towns are bad enough for theft of cars/bikes - not a good idea to go by oneself.
    A friend of mine had his truck stolen close to the border while he was in CHURCH!!!

7. Likes WRIDR liked this post
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was with a group about 8 years ago. We all made it back but never again. Dogs were barking one nite, looked out the window and 2 kids about 13 or 14 had a Harley on 2 skateboards pushing in down the road. It is not an enjoyable trip. It is like you have to worry about all the small stuff the entire trip.

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Biking into Mexico

I wouldn't chance it. The border towns are rediculous these days. Americans are being kidnapped and worse. A Mexican family that works in our organization recently attempted a trip to visit their mother in Mexico. They were hit from behind; when the father stopped to see if his young son and college student daughter were okay they were attacked. The car and ALL belongings were stolen and the daughter was raped repeatedly and the son was forced to watch. No thanks! I don't want any part of it.

10. Likes WRIDR liked this post
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the best, safest and cheapest way to visit mexico, is on the discovery channel!
    never go to mexico, if you don't speak the language, and travel in a LARGE group!
    corruption starts at the highest levels of govt. and cascades downward!!!
    ride a bike in mexico?
    not in this lifetime!!!!!
    just jt

12. Likes WRIDR liked this post
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guyss for the responses. It sounds like it is what i feared.

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...I've traveled alone in Mexico a lot. I never really liked it but it was part of my job. The only time I ever had any trouble was late one night in Mexico City. I was walking from the airport to the hotel which is actually connected to the airport by an elevated crosswalk but I didn't go that way. I ran across a young man who decided that he would like to have some of my money. I told him that I would prefer to keep my money and it would be better for him to just run along. After a brief stare down, he agreed with me and that was the end of it. I was lucky though. It could have turned out much differently.

15. Likes WRIDR liked this post
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent a week in Cancun, a week in Peurto Vallarta, and drove down to Bahia de Los Angeles in Baja for a couple of days . Even camped on the beach at Arroyo Grande. Never a problem. Was stopped by Federales on the way back from L.A. Bay without incident. Was stopped at an Army check point in El Rosario on the way down and inspected on the way back. Never an inkling of any danger. Had a great time. The people are super friendly. My 2

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Riding in Mexico

I was talking about that very subject this past weekend with a couple of friends, one is a BATF agent and the other a Border Patrol agent, both of whom live and work in south Texas (ie: the border area near Harlingen and Brownsville). They said things are bad all along the border and farther into the interior, too...they advised against travelling anywhere into Mexico these days. As they pointed out...why do you think so many Mexicans are risking their lives to get to the United States any way they can?

18. Likes WRIDR liked this post
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Guatamalen friend who had a brand new vehicle wanted to drive to his home country through Mexico. He didnt get the Mexican insurance and deep inside Mexico the Police stole his vehicle at gunpoint. He still had to make payments on the vehicle since american insurance would not cover it in Mexico. Many of those Central and South American countries are very corrupt one of my friends who has to travel abroad frequently has to pay for armed security in many of those countries because of kidnapping and ransom concerns. He especially hates going to the Middle East. He doesnt really like to leave the US anymore. I wouldnt go without a gun but they would never let you in the country with one.
    Last edited by CrazyHorse; 09-19-2007 at 08:42 AM.

kozman01 Guest

My advice, don't make the trip. Two main reasons. First, as a law enforcement officer here in the states, we're aware of the tactics employed by Mexican police. They are no better than your common thug but have enormous power and carry a gun. Second, I wouldn't spend a red-cent in that God forsaken country. Their President just keeps encouraging wave after wave of the unemployed and criminal element to enter our country illegally. Just my two cents but if you go, avoid the police at all costs. The thugs will just take your stuff. The police will take your stuff and throw you in the lock-up. No thanks.

21. Likes WRIDR liked this post
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While stuff does happen south of the boarder I have never had a problem in Baja. I have 2 good (American)friends who live in Baja and go down to visit them on occasion. I prefer to go in a group but have gone solo. Some times it looks like there are more Americans living down there than Mexicans. I always get their Insurance but have never used it. Tecate for tacos is a regular run for us and the biggest hassle is coming back across the boarder. I can't get thru Tijuana fast enough the boarder towns really suck. Bad things do happen but not very common in Baja. Rod

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by James Ardrey View Post
    My brother is planning a trip to Guadalahara Mexico on his motorcycle. I've heard horror stories of motorcyclists getting their bikes stolen or taken away, mugged and any number of other consequences from riding across the border. I just wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys with firsthand knowledge or a safe way to travel in Mexico on a motorcycle in particular.
    If he insists on going...try advice from

http://www.advrider.com/forums/

24. Likes Venture n Dixie liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast