IGNORED

Getting Wet in all the wrong places

jiobst

I am returning to riding after 26 years and a first time venture rider, just bought an 83 Venture and was out for my first ride Sunday in the mountains west on Denver. Unlike San Diego where the weather is much the same every day the weather in Denver is like the old joke “if you don’t like the weather just wait 15 minutes” So the ride started out Hot and Dry and ended Wet and Cold. I was very pleased with the fairing design with kept me very dry until visibility and traffic slowed me to about 35 MPH and the rain fell on the top cover being the wind screen. Water rolls to the lowest point which happens to be the front of the seat… So I got off the bike dry except for the outside of my knees and arms and looking like I wet my pants. So other than not riding in the rain does anyone have any words of wisdom for overcoming this interesting design “feature” Thanks in advance.

Guest sargeb13

I ever owned (with a fairing or a shield) did the same thing. Try a pair of the new textile riding britches (e.g., First Gear HT overpants) they are reasonably comfortable, provide good protection, and waterproof. (I just wish somebody made them in sizes that fit short fat guys, as the knee armor just reaches my ankles).

Michael

Uummm...wear a rainsuit?:confused24:

I ride in all weather conditions except snow/ice. 20 degrees to 100 degrees, sun, rain, humidity, thunderstorms, fog, high winds and occaisionally great days. I keep a full rain suit and waterproof boots and gloves in one saddlebag. If it starts to rain during a ride, I pull over and don the rain gear and continue on my way arriving dry and comfy.

:scorched::rain2::sun1:

Rain suite maybe...........LOL:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I lived in Longmont for 15 years and I know what you mean about the weather changing so rapidly.

Unless you have lived in Colorado people really have no idea.

To go from 90 degrees to snowing in 20 minutes has to be experienced.

Unless you get some rain gear you will have to get used to the rain settling in your crotch.

That is just part of the motorcycling experience,so enjoy and welcome to the group.......................Ron

I ever owned (with a fairing or a shield) did the same thing. Try a pair of the new textile riding britches (e.g., First Gear HT overpants) they are reasonably comfortable, provide good protection, and waterproof. (I just wish somebody made them in sizes that fit short fat guys, as the knee armor just reaches my ankles).

Michael

I just found a pair in 40 short that fit me well. I'm 5'7" and about 230 - 240 depending on how many biscuits I just ate. I was please to find them at the dealership. Usually they just carry the standard sizes. If your dealer doesn't carry them you can order them online our your dealer can order them. They carry the short in sizes up to 42 waist. Here a link to check them out.

http://www.fmscycles.com/eshopprod_cat_2745-15659_product_319062.HT_OVERPANTS_20_WATERPROOF_TE.htm

Hey,

my Suggestion would be..... modify your Bike a bit and get rid of the Fairing !!!!

Ok, that won't help in stay dry whilst riding in Rain, but, at least it would avoid the 'i wet my Pants' Look .... you will get wet al over your Pants and Jacket .... :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: