IGNORED

Ride Like A Pro video on youtube

pegscraper

I saw their demonstration in Daytona this spring. It is good information but I don't believe they could maneuver a second gen venture like they do the road kings. You can practicely lay the road king down on its side and keep riding, but the venture is so top heavy it will fall. I would like to see them ride a venture in their demonstration.

Does anybody who has wached the training videos have positive/negative comments on the techniques demonstrated in the DVD????

I bought the DVD and learned a lot. I also burned up a new set of rear brake pads in the process. His technique for dragging the rear brake while slipping the clutch to add stability during slow speed maneuvers really works, but it is hard on the rear brake pads. I wore a new set out in 6000 miles after I learned that trick. Here is a picture of the Yamaha rear brake pads after 6000 miles, compared to new EBC pads.

I saw their demonstration in Daytona this spring. It is good information but I don't believe they could maneuver a second gen venture like they do the road kings. You can practicely lay the road king down on its side and keep riding, but the venture is so top heavy it will fall. I would like to see them ride a venture in their demonstration.

If I were you, I wouldn't be placing any bets against them when it comes to riding a Venture like that. Believe me....they CAN. I have seen video of them riding GL1500 Gold Wings exactly like that. And I have owned both the GL1500 and the 2nd Gen Venture. In my opinion, the GW is just as top heavy as the Venture. They make it look easy. It's all technique. If the bike is leaning at the proper angle and your speed is correct there is no way that the bike can fall. Physics (centrifugal force specifically) will not allow it to unless you chicken out and slow down.

I don't have the videos, but am going to order them TODAY. I've been meaning to anyway, just keep fergittin! However, I have been practicing one of their techniques on how to pull a U turn on a narrow two lane road with no problems. It works....IF you have some nerves!! :rotf::rotf:

I wouldn't throw the towel in on the Venture so fast. In their latest DVD that I have they show an RSTD doing the course. The Venture can't be that much different.

While I'm not as good as they are, I have found the video to be a big help. Just the simple realization that big bikes can be handled like this is a big step. I had been riding big bikes for several years, and the first time I saw a big bike leaned over like that and turning that sharp my jaw hit the floor. I sure think the DVD is worth the money.

Take a look at the pix on this page: http://www.ridelikeapro.com/images/MCTraining/MCTrainingMain.htm

Notice the black Venture? Looks like he's got a pretty good lean angle going, and that's just a student, not the Pro. I'd sure like to be able to attend one of his classes.

I would just love to make U-turns like that but one thing that scares me is dropping the bike and doing a couple grand worth of plastic damage, if you know what I mean. Sometimes my u-turns are flawless, other times it looks like I just got my learners permit. Ill be installing my 130 tire soon and that should help. And I will be ordering Palladinos DVD soon, unless one of you all want to sell yours.

BTW, if you tell them that you are a member of VR.org, you get a $5 discount. You have to call them or use the online order form to get the discount. Don't just do like I did and click the PayPal icon...you won't get the discount if you order that way.

Motorman is a real nice guy.

Buy his DVD!

I bought the DVD and learned a lot. I also burned up a new set of rear brake pads in the process. His technique for dragging the rear brake while slipping the clutch to add stability during slow speed maneuvers really works, but it is hard on the rear brake pads. I wore a new set out in 6000 miles after I learned that trick. Here is a picture of the Yamaha rear brake pads after 6000 miles, compared to new EBC pads.

I am SURE it is all about technique.....

I assume the 3 points to use are BUT PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, or if there are other points to remember:

1)Look WHERE you want the bike to go.

2)Slip the clutch

3)Slip the REAR brake

The combination of 2 & 3 keeps the suspension from moving.

IF you tap the front break, you WILL drop the bike.

The excess wear on the rear brakes and clutch are probably worth it.

I am putting the DVD on my Christmas list:) I just hope MrsSquid gets it for me... then I will have a good excuse to buy a replacement set of rear brake pads and a clutch:rotf:

Update:

I just read about the discount, and WILL order soon...

I am SURE it is all about technique.....

I assume the 3 points to use are BUT PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, or if there are other points to remember:

1)Look WHERE you want the bike to go.

2)Slip the clutch

3)Slip the REAR brake

The combination of 2 & 3 keeps the suspension from moving.

IF you tap the front break, you WILL drop the bike.

The excess wear on the rear brakes and clutch are probably worth it.

I am putting the DVD on my Christmas list:) I just hope MrsSquid gets it for me... then I will have a good excuse to buy a replacement set of rear brake pads and a clutch:rotf:

This is similiar to the police learning courses.

Look where you want to go many riders will crash into objects in a panic situation because they are looking at the object they want to avoid even though there is plent of space either side of the object. ( Many people will also slam on that rear brake and lock it up and lay the bike down. (If you lock the rear MSF says keep it locked I differ in that opinion you can if done quickly and the rear end is not coming around on you, you can release the rear brake quickly and reapply pressure.) Hence linked brakes were designed which I dont like. There is no reason to lay the bike down drive through the situation maintaning control of the bike as long as you can look where you want to go.) I know its hard to do but its gotta happen. This is the reason many people drop thier bikes in this training they look down at the ground in a hard lean turn instead of looking behind them in the direction they are turning. We used fire hose wrapped around the crash bars to avoid scraping up the crash bars.

Practicing this stuff you will burn up rear brakes and the clutch faster no doubt about it. But once you get the hang of it learning that relationship between clutch throttle and brake you feel more confident. Yes if you hit that front brake in a slow speed high lean angle turn you will go down dont ask me how I know. You can perform very tight turns but linked brakes lessen this because the front brake is activated also but its still useful stuff even on linked brake bikes.

I have not ridden a 2nd gen but its similiar to a Harley Roadking I dont think it more top heavy then a Roadking (Unless you fill the trunk up) Now 1st Gen which I ride is more top heavy.

DVDs are good - have 'em, love 'em and loan them to every new rider I can else I tell them to buy 'em.

Mainly about head turns a little braking technique. I'd rather use up more brake and be comfortable maneuvering personally.

Can be done on a Venture 4Sure! You can spot one in one of their videos. You do need to practice and execute properly for a while though.

If you ease into it you can do it without dropping the bike. Gradually get tighter and tighter as you build confidence (Worse case they show you how to pick the bike up on your own too;-)

First thing I will do every Spring is go out and practice all the drills. Already saved me once!

DVDs are good - have 'em, love 'em and loan them to every new rider I can else I tell them to buy 'em.

Mainly about head turns a little braking technique. I'd rather use up more brake and be comfortable maneuvering personally.

Can be done on a Venture 4Sure! You can spot one in one of their videos. You do need to practice and execute properly for a while though.

If you ease into it you can do it without dropping the bike. Gradually get tighter and tighter as you build confidence (Worse case they show you how to pick the bike up on your own too;-)

First thing I will do every Spring is go out and practice all the drills. Already saved me once!

Makes a lot of sense. I don’t have the DVD but I’ve read the book ‘Proficient Motorcycling’... there’s information available now that I don’t remember seeing when I learned to ride (mid 70’s). But then again I didn’t look either. We just hopped on our dirt bikes and away we went, the lesson came from experience... and some of them left bruises!

What I’ve learned as I got older (or perhaps just a little wiser) is that there’s a science to riding on two wheels and that this information is well understood. Reading the book has been very helpful and I do plan on getting the DVD. At least these lessons won’t leave marks!

Well worth the $$$$$----------------1-Head&Eyes 2-Friction Zone 3 rear Brake------------where your head&eyes look the bike will GO!--Friction zone is that spot WHERE the bike is barely moving,and you can Rev. the motor!!--------rear brake controls your speed: NEVER apply the FRONT brake OR it WILL pull u to the STREET:thumbsup2::usa::sun1:----------IT B WORKS!!!

Last year I took the MSF experienced rider course and it covered all those tight low speed maneuvers. It was about 6 hrs practice/practical application and 2 hrs classroom and test. My '02 handled it better than some of the sport bikes. Very worthwhile if you get the chance. The safety dept on the base where I work has the course once or twice a month, it was free and got to go while on the clock.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch this, And if you watch the ride like a pro 3 it has a Venture doing everything. We just had a advanced class today, but I didn't get to go to this one . Went to the last 3 here. Great learning skills and practice!

My best friend RSV Angel (Craig) Did the class and was sore from the hands down! I am sure he will say it was the best thing he has ever done to improve his riding skills. I know it was for me......Ken

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KKx7cB-Ok&NR=1]YouTube - Police Motorcycle Competiton Good Solo Run[/ame]

Watch this, And if you watch the ride like a pro 3 it has a Venture doing everything. We just had a advanced class today, but I didn't get to go to this one . Went to the last 3 here. Great learning skills and practice!

My best friend RSV Angel (Craig) Did the class and was sore from the hands down! I am sure he will say it was the best thing he has ever done to improve his riding skills. I know it was for me......Ken

hell, he didn't have control of that bike!!!!

he was just fighting to keep from dropping it is front of so many witnesses!

he did make it look a lot easier, than it really is though!lol

just jt

• 3 weeks later...

I went to their web site, and then bought the DVD. have not had time to set up a full set of their various tests, but have practiced the friction zone and done some low speed turns and circles.

Got my Gen 1 to really lean one time and about scared myself silly! But I gave it a little power, kept the rear brake on and the bike straightened right up.

We are sharing the DVD among our members, hope to set up a training session in the spring for everyone that wants to practice it.

I went to their web site, and then bought the DVD. have not had time to set up a full set of their various tests, but have practiced the friction zone and done some low speed turns and circles.

Got my Gen 1 to really lean one time and about scared myself silly! But I gave it a little power, kept the rear brake on and the bike straightened right up.

We are sharing the DVD among our members, hope to set up a training session in the spring for everyone that wants to practice it.

It's all about balance between power, brake and clutch.