IGNORED

Road Debris

N3FOL

It has been a constant lookout every time I ride. I ride 4 to 6 times per week and the sight of road debris on side roads and highways are just never ending. From 'road kills' to 'peeled off rubber tires' (I think they are called crocodiles...) to miscl. stuff, we always have to be on the look out.

Two of my most recent close call on road debris is a construction barrel on the fast last along a 2 lane interstate coming to a curve and there it was...right in the middle of the fast lane at 6 in the morning. The other one was when I made a left turn towards the ramp...there it was, 2 nails that looked like roofing nails. This could have ended my ride for the day. Fortunately, my ride to work today is uneventful. Ride Safe.

It has been a constant lookout every time I ride. I ride 4 to 6 times per week and the sight of road debris on side roads and highways are just never ending. From 'road kills' to 'peeled off rubber tires' (I think they are called crocodiles...) to miscl. stuff, we always have to be on the look out.

Two of my most recent close call on road debris is a construction barrel on the fast last along a 2 lane interstate coming to a curve and there it was...right in the middle of the fast lane at 6 in the morning. The other one was when I made a left turn towards the ramp...there it was, 2 nails that looked like roofing nails. This could have ended my ride for the day. Fortunately, my ride to work today is uneventful. Ride Safe.

Last year I hit a road gator while doing 75. It was dark and there were a lot of pieces. Bent the oil cooler line and bent the oil filter enough that I lost all oil. here's the post

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?141960-Little-bit-of-a-pucker-moment-this-morning

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Glad you were able to keep it upright. I too have a similar experience, but luckily I did not hit the 'road gator'. It was a nice early summer night last year and it was pretty dark already as I was approaching a slow moving 18 wheeler from the rear. I decided to pass and narrowly missed the road gator that I saw on my right. I only saw it once I was already right next to it. It for sure woke me up and I can honestly say that that was one of my scariest close calls along the interstate.

It seems we have had a rash of ladders across the rod around here. The local traffic reports keep mentioning them. Ladders can be real hard to get around and a hard stop on the interstate is usually not a good outcome either because a bike can out stop a car ot truck, especially if the driver behind you is not paying attention.

Keep your following distance so that you have time to react to whatever appears out from under the vehicle in front of you. A car or truck can easily stradel something that will take you out.

As you know, these gators occur mostly during the summer months, but they can still be around during the colder months of the year. Keeping a safe distance and a safe speed is the key as you had mentioned. Our deer population is now on the move here in the MD/PA area. I ride all the time and now that we are in the Fall/Winter months, there will be a lot of night riding where I depend heavily on my headlights.

• 2 months later...