IGNORED

Looking for a timing inspection window plug

Mach VIII

Well this is a bit embarrassing. I'm looking for a timing inspection window plug.....perhaps there is a better/more correct name. It is the small round threaded plug on the stator cover that is removed so you can see the timing marks. This is for a 1st Gen., Mk.II. Mine would NOT break loose without a big fight when I was checking the gaps on the valves the other day. I originally tried using a large flat-blade screwdriver, but it just cammed out the slot. I thought perhaps there was some special tool/edge in the factory tool kit for this job, but alas, I found nothing in my kit that fit. I tried other items that fit the slot better, but it just wouldn't budge and kept opening up the slot even more. Since it was already a mess, I then busted out the Dremel to cut a "new" slot in it, but that didn't work either. Eventually, I got it out using a punch and a hammer to get it to finally come loose. Not pretty.

I could probably screw it back in, but I'm sure I'd have a time getting it out in the future. Plus it looks pretty bad.

Soooo.....does anyone have a nice spare one of these they'd be willing to part with? I looked on Ebay but didn't see any sold separately, just entire stator covers.

Thanks!

Well this is a bit embarrassing. I'm looking for a timing inspection window plug.....perhaps there is a better/more correct name. It is the small round threaded plug on the stator cover that is removed so you can see the timing marks. This is for a 1st Gen., Mk.II. Mine would NOT break loose without a big fight when I was checking the gaps on the valves the other day. I originally tried using a large flat-blade screwdriver, but it just cammed out the slot. I thought perhaps there was some special tool/edge in the factory tool kit for this job, but alas, I found nothing in my kit that fit. I tried other items that fit the slot better, but it just wouldn't budge and kept opening up the slot even more. Since it was already a mess, I then busted out the Dremel to cut a "new" slot in it, but that didn't work either. Eventually, I got it out using a punch and a hammer to get it to finally come loose. Not pretty.

I could probably screw it back in, but I'm sure I'd have a time getting it out in the future. Plus it looks pretty bad.

Soooo.....does anyone have a nice spare one of these they'd be willing to part with? I looked on Ebay but didn't see any sold separately, just entire stator covers.

Thanks!

I have a 1st gen Vmax engine sitting in my storage, I dont know if the plug is compatible, but if it is you may have it.

I have a 1st gen Vmax engine sitting in my storage, I dont know if the plug is compatible, but if it is you may have it.

I looked it up on Partzilla and indeed it does appear to be the same part number. Thank you very much for your kind offer. Before looking it up, I didn't realize it was a commonly used part and still available from Yamaha. If it's convenient and easy for you to get, then I'll be happy to take you up on your offer. But I really would not want you to go to any great trouble to get it (you mentioned your motor is in "storage"). I think the part is only around $8, plus shipping.

I looked it up on Partzilla and indeed it does appear to be the same part number. Thank you very much for your kind offer. Before looking it up, I didn't realize it was a commonly used part and still available from Yamaha. If it's convenient and easy for you to get, then I'll be happy to take you up on your offer. But I really would not want you to go to any great trouble to get it (you mentioned your motor is in "storage"). I think the part is only around $8, plus shipping.

My storage is here, the engine not quite exposed yet but should be by the end of the day, been going through stuff and filling up a dumpster for the last few days. I'm actually considering toppling this extra engine (bad 2nd gear) into the dumpster too.

I've removed it from the engine, it came right out with no fight. It's serviceable but I can see where someone used an incorrect screwdriver to remove it before. They didn't destroy it but it shows the attempt. Pic soon.

That sounds like it should work for my needs. Mine's so bad I'm hesitant to reinstall it. Thank you for all the trouble you've gone to. I'll PM you.

That sounds like it should work for my needs. Mine's so bad I'm hesitant to reinstall it. Thank you for all the trouble you've gone to. I'll PM you.

No trouble at all, I've been going through the storage sheds trying to make space and it was right in my path. Like I said, it's not like new but it is perfectly serviceable and on it's on it's way USPS.