IGNORED

I hate to beg

koonta

You don't need the tool to check them, only to replace shims if they're out of spec.

The tool you need is distributed by K&L Supply, catalog number 32-3462. I'd be shocked if your local dealer isn't set up to sell their products. If they won't cooperate try the independent shops.

It would have to be printed with a metal printer which are still far out of the hobbyist price point. There are several 3 D Metal print services available, but that tool design may be patented. They probably also have a minimum run threshold. Still, it might be worth looking into.

It would have to be printed with a metal printer which are still far out of the hobbyist price point. There are several 3 D Metal print services available, but that tool design may be patented. They probably also have a minimum run threshold. Still, it might be worth looking into.

I haven't used one, so I have to ask why it would have to be made from metal? Would hard plastic not do the job?

There may be a plastic suiteable for making this tool. I would imagine that there definitely is a suiteable plastic. It's probably not going to be 3 D printable.

3 D printers have come a long way in a few years and they are capable of some pretty fantastic production, but the extrusion type makes pieces that look nice and are fairly sturdy but they would never stand up to the pressure and friction involved with compressing the valve springs of the Venture. Not to mention the contact with petroleaum lubricants.

There might be a Resin material for the resin type 3 D printers that would work, I don't know, but I doubt it.

It's hard to believe these tools have dried up with all the interest in them, there had to be a ton of these motors produced, a lot of which are still in use. [ although a few years ago when I stopped at a dealership looking for a part the parts man wasn't as old as my bike and didn't have a clue what I was talking about], but these motors were used in other apps not just the Venture. The patent on these has to have expired by now, from what I've read 20yrs and they expire with no renewal. Hard plastic may work but the area on the bucket it would push is so narrow I would be afraid of them chipping, but nice thought.

I appreciate the h/u on the finer points of 3D printing; it's not a process I'm familiar with.

Lots of ways these could be made though; CNC, laser cut or water-jet come to mind. I have no idea how many would need to be done to make the price reasonable, unless a hobbyist were to take a swipe at it. It wouldn't be particularly hard to make one -gasp- by hand either, if a fella had the dimensions.

I messaged with Skydoc, tool is out on loan right now and I'm going to daughters for a few weeks to hopefully help out with grandkids, dad's there too but with a 2yr old and fresh twins they have their hands full so I'll check back with him when I return.

For fun I'd called a couple dealers on the shim tool, one didn't get back the other said they could order it @ $132. ow! K&L had said their outta stock one sold for $87 or so.