IGNORED

Salvageable Engine?

This all happened last year. Originally posted in

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?139369-Engine-noise-possibly-timing-chain-slap

I know that it was just fine until one day it wouldn't turn over. Starter started to turn the engine and then "PING!" it stopped. Tried again and nothing. Hooked up a battery booster start pack and it was slow, but it finally turned over and started, but had that ticking.

I tried to isolate it with a stethoscope, but it was all over the engine. So when I found a used engine for sale Got it for $400, so I just replaced the whole engine. Now I'm wondering what to do with the ticking engine.

Is it worth rebuilding, or should I scrap it.

Depends on what you want the end result to be, I guess.

You rebuild the engine and get your $400 back,,, maybe,, after all, you bought a good engine at $400. How much is it going to cost to rebuild, I would plan on at least $200, just for gaskets. Not a lot goes wrong with these engines, so there is little demand, and maybe lots of supply. Don't know what you would get for the engine in scrap but you can take that off the price as well. Are you looking for work? something to do? it all comes into the picture.

Me??? I'd scrap it. I would think it kind of risky to try and make some mula.

Thats a pretty decent tap right there. It's sort of hard to tell over the mic/speakers but it sounds a little bit more pronounced than a loose valve to me. I would question rod knock as it pertains to worn bearings, esp with 40k and the sudden onset, but it does have a"rodlike" quality to my ears.

IMHO a bent rod is not far fetched and that would explain the sound. I've noticed this sound on other engines when the rod bends enough to touch the bottom of the cyl as it rotates. A fuel hydrolock can absolutely do this on some engines (ask me how I know). I've never had to break into a Yamaha V4 so my knowledge is limited to general application/experience and not Yamaha V4 specific items that might also cause this sound.

I think if it were me I would consider using a borescope and have a look into the cyls, you might see something there. I might also consider a compression check to try and identify the specific cyl, and do a visual inspection of the valve train/verify clearances. Unless it's a fairly cheap easy fix I'd stuff that under the workbench for parts or scrap it altogether. Of course I have a lot more time than most, I'd probably tear it down just to see what it was. I'm not sure if there is any way to use a borescope through the crank somewhere to view the crank/rods. I'll go ahead and put $1 wager on you being correct in your assessment, but I hope it's simple and you still have a good spare engine.

So, it's un saleable as is except for parts.

I'd start at the top and strip it down till I found the problem, then determine if it's repaiarable and weigh the repair cost against any possible sale value as a running repaired engine.

If you decide to scrap it or part it out at that point you are only out some time and I'd bet you will learn a lot in the process. Parting it out will net more $ than an outright sale, but it could take years to get rid of everything. As was stated above, these engines don't break often.

I think I'm ok with just having the bike running with the other engine. I took the better "chrome" covers and have a great running RSV now. So I'm thinking I'll just get rid of the engine.

Anyone around the mid-atlantic looking for a project? Maybe slowrollwv, you're not too far from me. Even better, I'll probably put it in the classifieds of the forum as free to good home, just come and get it.

I think I'm ok with just having the bike running with the other engine. I took the better "chrome" covers and have a great running RSV now. So I'm thinking I'll just get rid of the engine.

Anyone around the mid-atlantic looking for a project? Maybe slowrollwv, you're not too far from me. Even better, I'll probably put it in the classifieds of the forum as free to good home, just come and get it.

If you had an extra carb rack with the replacement engine I'd sure as heck hang onto those.

I have interest, just not sure when I could pick it up.

Looks like just over 2 hours away, let me know. I really don't want to scrap it, I'd like to see it go to someone that is able to take on the project. She only had 40K miles.

If you're able to get down to the Hagerstown, MD area, or if you seriously think that you will be able to come and get it at some point let me know. I don't mind holding it for a bit, but my wife does want me to get "my side of the garage" cleaned up.

I will make plans to get it by the end of October if you can hold it that long. It someone else needs it more than me, let them have it. I'll PM you for direct contact information.

If I could figure out a way to carry a spare engine on the bike, I might be inclined to making the trip myself.

:12101: