IGNORED

Anyone Ride the Blue Ridge Parkway?

cwtart

Being a snowbird, I flock to Florida from Wisconsin in November of each year. I pull a trailer with my Triumph Speedmaster back and forth and want to make a side trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would like some suggestions as to what part(s) of the Parkway would make some good day trips of maybe 100-150 miles out and back from whatever motel I may be staying at. I would love to take my 2008 RSV but the Yamaha is not the best bike for my area of Florida - so I travel by car and pull an enclosed trailer with the Triumph.

I know November is a little late for best fall color but it should still be warm enough for riding on the Parkway (I hope).

Anyone here have some tips for the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Any Part of the Parkway is good, however I am partial to the southern end, plenty of palces to stay just outside of Asheville, we usually stay at the at Asheville East KOA.

Any particular mile marker or range of mile markers that are "do not miss"?

Any particular mile marker or range of mile markers that are "do not miss"?

Mount Mitchell Mile Marker 355 and NC 128 is always a good ride, it is hard to find a bad road off the parkway. NC 151 on the other side of Asheville is a favorite also.

Make sure you check the Parkway website for closures before you go https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Edited by etcswjoe

We go up for a week in October around the 10-14th. We stay with a friend down by the Ga NC boarder and make a day trip up. Mostly I have ridden Waynesville to Cherokee area. But there are some other nice roads depending on how much time you have. Moonshiner 28, roads around Fontana dam, Cherohala Parkway. I personally would not recommend the Dragon. I have had 2 bad experiences there last 2 times so its way off my list. Big rig tried to kill on the lower end @ the restaurant and before that had some idiot on sport bike using my lane going opposite direction almost head on. Depends mostly on where your staying I suppose.

Start at the top in Front Royal, VA and ride Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park. This turns into the Blue Ridge Pkwy once it leaves the SNP. Great ride all the way.

RR

We live in Central Fla about 2 hours or so from Sanford. I caught a year or so back a fellow on You Tube from Tampa area that made that ride from Va down the SNP and BRP. He rode over to Sanford, hopped on the auto train and loaded bike up. It dropped him off up in VA and he motored on over to the park way. Video was pretty good.

We live in Central Fla about 2 hours or so from Sanford. I caught a year or so back a fellow on You Tube from Tampa area that made that ride from Va down the SNP and BRP. He rode over to Sanford, hopped on the auto train and loaded bike up. It dropped him off up in VA and he motored on over to the park way. Video was pretty good.

Main issue with the auto train is you can only get on and off in two places: Sanford, FL and Lorton, VA. Lorton is on the edge of the Washington DC metro area so be prepared for heavy traffic getting out of there and escaping to the mountains.

Yea I know that. But it suits the purpose. Saving a couple days travel time up to beginning. Depending on which day you started might effect traffic. Besides from what he said the train arrives up there around 9 or so and an hour to get your bike maybe so traffic should be thinned out some. Here is video.

Grab a room in Waynesville, NC. from there head south on NC 215, run it down to the BRP, make a right onto the parkway and run it back into Waynesville. Many nice forest, river and mountain vistas to stop and see. Spend another day or week doing a waterfall tour.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk