IGNORED

I wonder if any one has done something like this

HI ALL

The names Steve Im a retired engineer, with a love of making stuff, I have built (converted) trikes and built tube work buggies for years, now im retired i have a special project i have been dreaming of for years,

I want to build a trike from scratch, I have bought a very low genuine milage 4k 1999 royal star engine, last MOT UK road worthy test last november 4140 miles, that has been jetted and a modified clutch fitted I wish to build a frame something like this for it really didnt want to use harley motor saw a royal star and knew that was motor i wanted to use

89b98e4c.jpgoriginal_zpsaplaum9g.JPGd1301jj-1db320ac-9dd9-4e8a-bb0b-fb99026b6302.jpg

here is motor

img_20200629_110253-2----copy.jpgimg_20200629_105929-1----copy.jpg

Has any one got a cut down wiring diagram to get motor to run as a stand alone unit with minimal wiring, I have stripped a loom to what i think it needs acording to a wiring diagram, i can get it to turn over but not spark, i have the ignighter i sure i have bypassed all cut outs etc, just wont spark, not worried about it running it will run if it sparks, so for all the keyboard warriors, I dont need wheels, radiator, headlight, or even furry dice hanging from back

please if any one has put a royal star in a chop or something please tell me how you got it to run

Thasnks

Steve

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

Edited by lleksam
trying to delete atached images wrong motor

Have you found this wiring diagram? It is easier to follow that the one in the service manual.

There are a lot of things it could be.

From the wonderful look of your previous build I am assuming that you have a clue what you are doing. SO for now I am sticking to things that are different fom most other bike engines.

Are you using the starting circuit cutoff relay assembly?

It sends a bunch of signals to the ignition box to tell it that it is OK to spark.

You could take it out of the circuit but that would need a bunch of jumpering and isolating of things, effectively building another external one from scratch.

Do You have the pickup coil down by the stator connected properly? That is the crank position sensor to time the spark.

There are some of the safety circuits that must be jumpered to bypass and others that must be disconnected to bypass.

I am more familiar with the 1st gen electrical but your 2nd gen is very similar.

Have you found this wiring diagram? It is easier to follow that the one in the service manual.

There are a lot of things it could be.

From the wonderful look of your previous build I am assuming that you have a clue what you are doing. SO for now I am sticking to things that are different fom most other bike engines.

Are you using the starting circuit cutoff relay assembly?

It sends a bunch of signals to the ignition box to tell it that it is OK to spark.

You could take it out of the circuit but that would need a bunch of jumpering and isolating of things, effectively building another external one from scratch.

Do You have the pickup coil down by the stator connected properly? That is the crank position sensor to time the spark.

There are some of the safety circuits that must be jumpered to bypass and others that must be disconnected to bypass.

I am more familiar with the 1st gen electrical but your 2nd gen is very similar.

Hi thanks i found that and had it printed LARGE so i could follow quite easily, crank sensor in place, in nutral, jumpered cutoff box. wiring at moment just looks a mess,

did order a cut off box and loom from US but loom came with x number of pins and cut off box came with one more pin so didnt fit,

used parts for Royal star are twice price here in uk so cheaper to ship over pond and pay postage, duty and handeling charge, may have to order another loom and igniter and start with complete loom and remove one wire at a time untill it stops sparking

Steve

img_20200915_092419(1).jpgimg_20200915_092353(1).jpg

• 8 months later...