IGNORED

Myxvz1200

larrydr

I am in the middle of replace the steering head bearings ...I am glad Yamaha left slot for to place a punch above the bearing race to remove the bearing race ....

I am 74 years old and 5 foot 6 inches tall and trying to figure out a way of sliding the forks up about 1/4 to 1/2 inch through the steering head ...Which to my thinking would lower the front of the Venture ..Anyone know what effect removing the air support on the front forks would do the front of the forks system ??

I am mounting some R70 series tires on the front and rear . When I first sat on the Venture , I thought that it was far to top heavy for me , but I have sat on some of the other brands and found that they have the same problem in weight / balance that the Venture has .. So what I will do is make the best off and see how it goes .

The fork tubes are held in the triple tree by 2 'clamps, and a ciriclip. You would have to eliminate the ciriclip for the tubes to slide higher into the triple tree. Not a real good idea as the 'clamps' are only designed to hold the tubes in place, but not to prevent them from sliding up. What might work is to shorten the springs inside the fork tubes, but then you would have to deal with other issues such as amount of travel for the shock effect, spring rate, oil capacity, fork rake and who knows what else.

Wearing a thicker soled shoe and lowering the seat might be better options.

I could be wrong but I do not think the cir-clip actually has anything to do with keeping the fork tube from being able to move in the triple tree since the tubes are clamped pretty tight. I think they are just there to keep the air supply collars in place. I am thinking that if you want to reset the tubes and lower the front you would have to remove the air supply collar or just the cir-clips and let the collar slide down the tube and plug the hole in the tube. Since you have now removed the air supply to the fork you would have to probably replace the springs with progressive springs plus a spacer. The length of the spacer determined by what stiffness of ride you want. then you set the tubes to the height you want.

• 2 weeks later...
The fork tubes are held in the triple tree by 2 'clamps, and a ciriclip. You would have to eliminate the ciriclip for the tubes to slide higher into the triple tree. Not a real good idea as the 'clamps' are only designed to hold the tubes in place, but not to prevent them from sliding up. What might work is to shorten the springs inside the fork tubes, but then you would have to deal with other issues such as amount of travel for the shock effect, spring rate, oil capacity, fork rake and who knows what else.

Wearing a thicker soled shoe and lowering the seat might be better options.

Safety First Is Always The Better Plan

When I installed new Steering Head Bearings I noticed 1/4 inch thick rubber damper cushion above the air clamp ...I will be removing the rubber cushion and using a 1/16 inch rubber washer in its place , it may not do a lot as far lowering the front goes ...I am looking for a progressive set of springs for the forks . There things that others have done to lower the Venture , but I don't want to go to a aggressive format .