IGNORED

Missed my 9/11 ride today

RDawson

I was thinking earlier today that I was sitting about 20 feet from from where I was sitting when the twin towers came down.

I did ride my RSV to work today, so...

Bitter sweet is not the right term.

I don't know if there is a word that can describe what I feel on this day. Every year for the last 19.

Righteous Indignation? Close.

Disbelief? Unfortunately, yes. I am disheartened to know that there are those, here in my Homeland that do not remember 9/11/2001 with Moral Outrage. In fact there are members of our legislature that think of that date date as a great day.

It makes me want to vomit.

At the risk of crossing a line, I will turn the Left's words around and beg America to WAKE UP! WAKE UP and see what is going on, and has been going on for a very long time.

Working up high has its advantages, fewer idiots up there to deal with. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

I'm properly terrified of heights but that perk is difficult to ignore!:beer:, the ones directly beneath me would still be of great concern though! Hats off, I suspect thats not a job many could do.

I was playing a video game (Far Cry series) and in some of these it is necessary to climb a tower and activate a beacon, mind you it's just a video game. Even while playing the game during a tower climb my palms get sweaty and I'm ready to yak and pass out. Very real physical response to something on a 55" monitor.

Do you feel fear? exhilaration? What do you experience?

That is awesome! I stand in envy of your apparently superhuman nerves.

The idiot jab is a joke from back in my construction days, I was always the one willing to work up high and took all the jobs up there. In the beginning there was some exhilaration but soon became normal and comfortable. We’re in a small town with only 4-5 college buildings tall enough to stretch the ladder truck all the way out. I don’t get that high very often anymore so some of the normal feelings are gone and the older I get some nervousness does set in. Careful movement and safety belts are becoming normal now, the younger me scoffed at the idea. Somehow I lived through those days.

As far as super human nerves I think most of us do things we’re comfortable doing that scares others to death, motorcycles for one. I’ve watched linemen climb power poles in a storm to get power back on, not for me. I talked to a woodland firefighter once and told him no way in hell I’d do what he did, his response was you structure fire guys are nuts. It all boils down to what we’re trained to do and can be comfortable doing it.

Edited by RDawson