IGNORED

Sequestering Entertainment

Condor

So I get this weekly/monthly newsletter from the Buffalo Chip in Sturgis, and each year they post a 'lost and found' after the smoke clears. I thought it was interesting what some of these folks left behind, and how the heck they got it there in the first place... They need to take a lesson from Burning Man... Here's 2020.

https://www.buffalochip.com/NEWS-INFO/News/Sturgis-Rider-News-Blog/ArtMID/2002/ArticleID/621/The-Strange-Will-Never-Change-2020-Sturgis-Buffalo-Chip-Lost-Found

A fellow I follow on You Tube Adam Sandoval went to a rally in Texas last year. I dont remember where, but its an annual deal that has been going on. The mess he documented left by those "bikers" made me sick. To think folks I am loosely associated into a group with would leave trash everywhere but a trash can made me mad. I know how Sebring is here after the 12 hour race, OMG what a trash heap. It takes a crew of like 8 guys over 2 weeks to clean up the race track from junk like that left afterwards.

Littering reveals a great deal about someones character. Tossing furniture says it with spectacular emphasis.

These are maybe the same folks that drop their cig butts wherever they happen to be standing, then simply walk away, knowing that someone else must then come and clean up after them. How does that sit in someones mind, do they ever think about it again, or once it leaves their hand it no longer exists?

How does one consider themselves an adult if others still need to come behind them and clean up their messes just to keep the place from getting too trashy. Is it a power move? What gives?

:soapbox: :rant:

I seem to be having a misanthropic flare this week. :rotfl:.

I have owned some property along a state hiway for nearly 30 years and the trash, while it has always been occurring, has gotten worse in the last 10 years or so. Always beer cans/bottles but now the fast food cups and wrappers along with dirty diapers. It’s hard for me to understand why people do this.

I have owned some property along a state hiway for nearly 30 years and the trash, while it has always been occurring, has gotten worse in the last 10 years or so. Always beer cans/bottles but now the fast food cups and wrappers along with dirty diapers. It’s hard for me to understand why people do this.

I heard a theory, I cant recall which public person put this forward but I like it. "Poverty mindset", pretty much not giving a **** about anything or anyone around you, and having 0 motivation to change, seeing 0 reason to care. They don't care about garbage in their own yards, so I'm not holding my breath that the daily garbage deposits along our road are going to slow down any time soon. As you noted, it's getting worse.

You guys have no idea, the rant I'm holding in could peel the paint off the walls, I shall spare you!

Instead I'll tell you a story about me punking my wife and one of our adult kids. My kids were raised knowing that littering carries a minimum mandatory buttwhoopin', they were the kids that picked up after others and brought it to the can. Positive behaviors that as a parent I consistently reinforced.

We were leaving home, (my kids well into their 20s now, and this was recent) the driveway/road cuts directly through the BH forest land, pristine and amazing. They/we all have a deep innate respect for nature. I got about half way, rolled the window down, tossed out my disposable coffee cup/lid/straw in grand dramatic fashion, making sure the lid/straw assembly popped off so I could throw it out separately, rolled the window up and kept going as if nothing happened, and never breaking stride. Dead silence. You could taste the tension in the car. I think they knew for a moment, but I straight-faced it up and kept right on going.

I stopped at the pavement about a mile up. I saw mouths open and awe, speechless all. "What?" I said with a twist of impatience like I had no clue. I couldn't hold it together past that and of course immediately went back to collect my garbage, and then some. Maybe the only time I've cleaned up litter while laughing like an idiot. That had me chuckling for the rest of the day. They totally bought it, but couldn't believe it. I wish I could have had a visor cam or something to capture the moments between my infraction and me loosing my poker face a mile later. The shock and awe were palpable, and the relief when they realized what was goign on. Oh I'm glad they all have a good sense of humor!