IGNORED

Windshield The best new old windshield from Rich Butler

Windshield 2 (Medium).JPGWindshield 1 (Medium).JPGI recently contacted Rich Butler about rebuilding my seat. After awhile out conversation got around to my interest in finding one of these old aftermarket windshields. I have asked about these windshields and the company that I thought was something like Star Industries and nobody said anything. I have even expressed an interest in buying another bike if it had one of these windshields. Well you can imagine how floored I was when Rick said that was his company or his and a friends company. What a find. The next question was did "Bills Plastics" still have the pattern. Well it turned out he still had the pattern and was willing to make up a windshield for me. I asked for two LOL. So I am now really never going to be able to sell this bike. That was the one product that I could not replace and it makes the bike different than any other bike out there. I believe this is the widest windshield on any touring bike. I used to think it was a bit large but after 20 some years of riding behind it I am spoiled. Every other bike I get on gets compared to this and many are just to small for me. This new one does not have the vent in it and it turns out that I prefer that way. If you have been looking for one you might be able to get them to make you one or two. I paid Ed (Bills son) $200 each and Rick approximately $50 to $75 to ship. Worth way more than that to me. I can repair a lot on this bike but this was one that would have been very difficult to duplicate.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Tri-star was around when the VTS was going strong. I purchased on windshield early on and then had a bad crash and purchased a second one sometime in the late 90s maybe. We discussed some of the products I never knew about and the bike in general. I remember I bought the trunk repair plate to save the cracked truck problem. Funny thing was that eventually my entire bottom cracked and needed to be repaired. I also purchased the saddle bag lid retaining straps after the first or second lid came off while rolling. I remember heading back for it an heard the car running over it. Still never put them on. Had them sitting my tool box for a good 15 years. Last year I finally had a lid come off and hit the road again. This time the lid only got scratched up a bit. So now I have the straps on. Kind of convenient not to have to look for a place to set the cover after you take it off. The bike should have come this way from the factory and I should have put the straps on years ago.

• 4 months later...

Do you have contact info?  That windshield looks a lot like mine, but mine is tinted.  I’d love to replace it as it has a lot of crazing.  Also what are these saddle bag straps?!?  I told myself “I’m gonna loose one of these some day” and sure enough it wasn’t long after I heard it tumbling down the roadside.  Luckily the lady behind me didn’t run it over, and even blocked traffic while I went to scoop it up.  No damage thankfully.  I’ve been meaning to do a search for lanyard ideas, but haven’t gotten to it.

pic of my windshield.80F3C5A6-7398-46EA-BF59-DC5CE616DECC.thumb.jpeg.ea340255acc44b0441b2d93058a7daa7.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

Do you have contact info?  That windshield looks a lot like mine, but mine is tinted.  I’d love to replace it as it has a lot of crazing.  Also what are these saddle bag straps?!?  I told myself “I’m gonna loose one of these some day” and sure enough it wasn’t long after I heard it tumbling down the roadside.  Luckily the lady behind me didn’t run it over, and even blocked traffic while I went to scoop it up.  No damage thankfully.  I’ve been meaning to do a search for lanyard ideas, but haven’t gotten to it.

I too would be interested in the contact info. As far the saddle bag straps go I just crimped some electrical eyelets to a four lengths of Paracord and attached the eyelets on the inside to one  of the nuts retaining  the catch to the lid and one attaching the catch to the saddlebag body. I place one at the front and one at the rear of each saddlebag. I made the length long enough so the lids would hang against the chrome crash bars so as not too scratch the paint on the saddle bags.