IGNORED

Rear master cylinder help - 89 Venture Royale

I have an 89 Venture Royale that I need to get going, or, stopping. I did many repairs on it a few years ago before we moved and I ran out of time. Winter is now coming and it is time to look at getting serious again... so, here goes..

Previously, I rebuilt the rear caliper and drained the brake fluid out of the rear master. Sadly, I was unable to get any more fluid in the rear master to get to enable a brake bleeding and thus to get it stopping correctly. For some reason, it would not accept anything into the rear master..

Is there a trick to this? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

I'm not sure I follow, but the rear and front left are one unit, linked. The line that goes to the front left, up under the fairing is a manifold, that is notorious for storing air (it is the high point in the system). After you bleed the front left, and rear, let it sit, then bleed up at the manifold.

There are two master cylinders on the bike. The one on the handlebar works one of the front calipers. The rear master works the other front caliper and the rear caliper (as you mentioned). The rear master is the one I am having problems getting new fluid into.

Since you don't take the lid off of the rear master cylinder to fill it, you never see the bellows gasket. If the reservoir gets low it can pull the bellows down into the reservoir and severely limit the reservoir capacity.

Take the lid off the MC and reshape the gasket.

A simple trick that flies in the face of Einstein tho aligns with Galileo, is to simply open the bleeder and the fill spout, fill the cup full, place a catch basin up high and allow to drain. If after say an hour the catch basin is still not collecting then you will need to disassemble until you find the blockage.

Sometimes it is rust related other times it is as Luv mentioned, on the 86 I had to remover and clean the cup, not a hard job but it is tight to remove. I cleaned it and blew out the passage there is a conductive float which should also be cleaned. The rubber line should be check for collapsing as well, then bleed at Spence said.